Gift ideas

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Gift ideas

Post by iain »

My daughter turns 18 in August and my dad has said he’d like to give her £500 to buy “something nice”.

I suspect if she doesn’t buy something this will be frittered away when she goes to university and she’ll have nothing to show for it.

I’m asking for suggestions for an 18 year old that she could spend this money on and I’m also deliberately not giving anymore away to try to gain as wide a range of ideas as possible.

Stuff, things, experiences, events, anything goes so please suggest away.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Re: Gift ideas

Post by josbrownlie »

We got driving lessons at around that age. Dunno whether your daughter has already got her driving license but lessons could be a useful idea if not.
These users thanked the author josbrownlie for the post:
iain
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

iain wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:24 pm My daughter turns 18 in August and my dad has said he’d like to give her £500 to buy “something nice”.

I suspect if she doesn’t buy something this will be frittered away when she goes to university and she’ll have nothing to show for it.

I’m asking for suggestions for an 18 year old that she could spend this money on and I’m also deliberately not giving anymore away to try to gain as wide a range of ideas as possible.

Stuff, things, experiences, events, anything goes so please suggest away.
Leave it to the missus!
These users thanked the author Gar787 for the post:
iain
PHIL
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Gar787 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:21 pm Leave it to the missus!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

Hi Iain

How about a really good set of Le Creuset stuff and a cookery bible ("Joy of Cooking", "Silver Spoon"? I was gifted a large casserole dish when I went off to uni and I still have it and use regularly. I can't think of much else that will really stand the test of time, be useful and accrue so many memories (brewing up curries for the weekly Sunday night tea in halls...).

Just a thought - obviously getting people cooking equipment can be a misconstrued as some kind of political statement!

Alternatively a lot of the research on the related topic of how to incentivise / thank staff is to gift experiences not things. Hot air balloon ride, maybe? Would your dad be able to join in some kind of activity?
These users thanked the author Timishere for the post:
iain
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Having gone through similar experiences with both my kids when either turning 18 or graduating high school, my suggestion is a $500 savings bond or the equivalent. I say that because what might seem significant at 18 most certainly won’t be years down the road. Where as by the time a savings bond matures, there’s more money available and the recipient will be at a point in their life where they can make a far more informed and meaningful decision about how to spend it.

Spending it for an experience is a great idea if there’s an obvious experience to be offered.

Just my $.02
Drew
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Gold.....a sovereign...I’m sure you could get one from her birth year...mount on a nice necklace :D
These users thanked the author kiter65 for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesChris375
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

You could certainly give her the money with the proviso that it’s spent on x,y or z. She may be grateful of the chance to buy some professional equipment related to her studies. A nice chance to buy something a bit more lovely than the cheapest student offers.

Or the money could be set aside to spend on sports equipment if she has an idea of student clubs or sports she thinks she’d like to get involved in.

It could just be a freshers week fund :shock:
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A watch :escape:
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post (total 2):
0uatiOWjkbarnes
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Could she use a laptop? She might want a better one that £500 would buy, but the gift certainly would put a dent in the price of a decent machine.

Or get her a watch….
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

If you want something to last forever, then jewellery, although that won't help with college expenses unfortunately. A gold bracelet for instance will never wear out.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

For my 18th Birthday, my grandmother bought me a watch and a gold identity bracelet (doesn't sound cool, but I loved it!). I wore both for many years, especially the bracelet which I wore continuously throughout my 20s and into my 30s. I don't wear either any more, but I still have them both, tucked away somewhere safe.

The crucial thing regarding why they are special to me is that my grandmother and I went out shopping together to choose them. That was the key experience for me - spending a whole day with my grandmother, just the two of us, choosing something special for my 18th birthday. Now that my grandmother is no longer around, these items are a tangible link back to her.

If you are able to combine getting something tangible and long-lasting with the experience of your daughter choosing it in the company of your father, I think that would be a winning combination - something she could remember with pleasure for the rest of her days.
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post (total 2):
Chris375jkbarnes
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

^^^^ best suggestion yet!!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Chris375
Drew
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

Diamond ear studs are an absolute certainty for a woman. I’m not sure £500 would cut it for my bloody kids. I’m no financial guru, but starting a lifetime isa (LISA) for an 18 year old is no brainer. A government guaranteed 25%+ nett annual return? Warren Buffet would bite your hand off. My lunatics all have one.
These users thanked the author Gar787 for the post:
jkbarnes
PHIL
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I'd ask her opinion, if that is possible if it is not to be a surprise. What she thinks is something nice is possibly wildly different from what anyone else may think. Many teenagers at University would much prefer some Gucci or Alexander McQueen trainers than something gold for example.

University and life is expensive as it has ever been and £500 would go far in paying for treats along the way or even towards a holiday after all of the studying. There is often a generational caveat with cash gifts that it should be spent on something in particular and not wasted. Sometimes having those extra funds to pay for nights out, meals and clothes etc could provide many more happy and personal memories than something expensive, often unused in a box.
These users thanked the author A1soknownas for the post:
jkbarnes