UPDATE: From posting to lurking…

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

UPDATE: From posting to lurking…

Post by jkbarnes »

Given how active I’ve been on this forum, I thought it only fair that I provide some explanation of my more recent (in)activity.

Over the last few weeks, I’ve found myself being more of a lurker than a poster. I’m frequenting the forum far less than I used to and being far more selective on what I post about (with hardly any rhyme or reason as to what I comment on and what I don’t).

This is hardly a reflection on the forum but speaks more to my current state of mind. As I’ve noted on numerous occasions, this has been a difficult school year. And as the year draws to a close, I find things are getting worse rather than easing up with the anticipation of summer break and entering my final year of teaching. This has been compounded by the fact that as bad as things are at my school, it’s even worse for me wife. And because we don’t actually live together, we don’t have the comfort of each other to deal with all the stress. This has made our living situation all the more frustrating.

I’m trying to cut down on my time online. I’m trying to cut down my mindless scrolling through social media. I’m trying to limit my time sitting in front of the TV, watching TV for the sake of watching.

Anyway, that’s where I am at the moment.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 4):
RichMStrapMeisterrkovarsStif
Drew
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: From posting to lurking…

Post by gannet »

I don't see anything wrong with varying posting frequency, depending on whatever factors are active in our lives at any stage.

Personally I lurk far more than I post, reflects my personality I guess being quite a reserved and quiet character.

Sorry to hear your latter teaching years for both you and your wife are proving hard.
These users thanked the author gannet for the post:
jkbarnes
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Yep - I’m prone to boom and bust a bit. But you’re right - I have missed you the past few weeks and was wondering how you’re doing. Your memories of a career in teaching won’t come from your final few years. Memories of how things are right now will fade once you and your wife are together. You don’t need to go out on a high to secure your memories or your reputation. And whatever needs changing in education you won’t be able to change it. And it’s not your job to change it anyway. You know in American baseball where the guys slide in on the ground to hit the plate with just the right amount of momentum to come to a stop? That’s what you have to do for your final year. :thumbup: :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
jkbarnes
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

Sorry to hear that, Drew. Use that last year of teaching to really focus on your plans post retirement - this is my last year working and that is what my wife and I are doing.

Post as little or as much as you feel comfortable with, in the secure knowledge that your contributions to this Forum are always top notch.
These users thanked the author BobMunro for the post:
jkbarnes
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:46 pm You know in American baseball where the guys slide in on the ground to hit the plate with just the right amount of momentum to come to a stop? That’s what you have to do for your final year. :thumbup: :D
Brilliant analogy!
Drew
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Buddy, time online is nice but it's not a real world solution to problems so don't worry if you actually have less time to spend here than some of us. I'm in the world of retirement so there are half-days when this community is my only community!

I'm sorry that the world is tough for you and it's how you deal with it that'll be your character and what you can be proud of.

You can only make so many plans for retirement: things'll change so your best plan will be to adaptable, to swim with the current and enjoy the journey.

Actually I'm just re-reading missF's post and I'm just going to agree with her sentiments.

Top man for talking about it. Stiff upper lip isn't always the best method.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
jkbarnes
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

BobMunro wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:46 pm …Use that last year of teaching to really focus on your plans post retirement - this is my last year working and that is what my wife and I are doing.
That’s exactly what I’m doing. Oddly enough, it’s a double edge sword. I take comfort in focusing on the future after teaching and establishing a home with my wife that’s truly ours, but I am also stressed out by it because I don’t handle major change well.
Drew
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Hang in there Drew..positively sure things will get better for you soon!..and you have a long and well deserved retirement coming up shortly!!.. :thumbup:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

You won’t look back in ten years time and think “I wish I’d spent more time on the internet”

Enjoy your quality time in the background and good luck in your final year teaching.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

It's great that you can come here and write about your stresses knowing that we've all got your back and will do what we can to help. It's such a supportive place.

That first glass of beer when you've put down your marking pen for the last time will never taste so good.
These users thanked the author RichM for the post:
jkbarnes
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I can empathise, Drew. My retirement was all around the pandemic and in the last few months I had to learn a whole new way to play the game, instead of hitting the winning run and being chaired off the field on the shoulders of team-mates…extending Lindsey’s sporting analogy there.

Social media may have been a lifeline at times, but there’s more to life. Feeling the Ionian Sea lapping round your toes when your erstwhile colleagues are marking exams, for one thing.

Hang in there, Drew. You’ll be fine. Meanwhile post when you want to say something; we understand and we value your contribution enormously.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Stay focused on the real world Drew. The forum will always be there. I do the exact same as far as participation. Just depends 100% on my mood at the moment. As for work frustrations, I get that completely, without getting political, I work for Homeland Security…..
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
jkbarnes
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I find myself lurking rather than posting as well these days.
Basically, I've got to a point where other interests have taken over somewhat.
These users thanked the author StrapMeister for the post:
jkbarnes
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Hey Drew its all good. I drop out for days at a time myself. There is just too much going on in the real world. Just keep in mind that things have a way of working out if you let them. Keep an open mind and the change won't be much of a change at all.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
jkbarnes
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

Hey Drew! I did notice your absence, but good to know you're lurking in the corner :lol:

I do the same from time to time, as I'm sure most of the long termers here have. I'm sorry to hear about the stresses from your school and home life. I hope you get some peace and respite this summer, and then permanently after next school year!
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
jkbarnes
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925