UPDATE: From posting to lurking…

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: From posting to lurking…

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

All the best JKB. It will all work out :)
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
jkbarnes
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Reckon I'm pretty much the most infrequent of posters at the moment so fully understand. Online social like the forum means different things and serves a different need at different times for anyone.. social interaction, amusement, diversion, comfort, interest, education and dare I say friendship. Participate when you want, how you want and you will receive the same warm reception. I have, for much of the past 2 years and when i do make a rare appearance I've never felt unwelcome.
Great bunch of people with a common interest and that certainly includes you and all the people who have commented on this thread.
Best of luck with the adjustment, its a big change and will take a little time but that's OK, the best things usually do.
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post:
jkbarnes
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:03 pm
Anyway, that’s where I am at the moment.
Hang in there, Drew! At some point I realized that anything worthwhile in life inevitably comes with some degree of pain and suffering. It's not supposed to be easy all the time; that's partly why it's so gratifying and fulfilling when you're through the other side. Also keep in mind that nothing lasts forever, both good and bad times. Reminding myself of that every now and then helps makes things more manageable and a bit easier.
These users thanked the author Bident for the post:
jkbarnes
Best regards,
John
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Focus on you and your needs, Drew. Do what you need to do for your own health and well being. I appreciate the heads up as we all navigate our courses forward.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
jkbarnes
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I hear you, Andrew...and understand. I was a frequent flyer, sorry, poster on this forum; now I'm not. I arrived at that position for differing reasons to yourself. In a strange way it's easy to feel as if you are under some sort of obligation to keep the conversation surrounding watches going, of course we're not. It's a role some of us choose to assume. Dipping out temporarily or permanently is not a crime, just do what's a good fit for you. Watches are about enjoyment and becoming aware of what they mean to you over the passing of time, as you develop a relationship of sorts with them. Funnily enough, since I came away from the forum I've never enjoyed my watches more, nor felt a stronger attachment to them.

Focus on you and what feels like your priorities. You will be drawn back if and when the timing is right.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesajax87
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

To the extent that it might 'help' I have to concur with the messages of support.
It's always a pleasure to share what you have brought to this place in the time I've been here.

Be content with the contribution you have made in your career, it's a lifetime not a 'just now' time and I do hope it shuffles out in a good way for you and your wife.
It's better to have cared than conquered. And it's clear you've cared.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
jkbarnes
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Thank you everyone for all the support and words of encouragement. It’s been helpful.

I’ve got a lot going on right now that I’m struggling to balance. The supportive nature of this community combined with the somewhat anonymous nature of an online forum has provided an outlet I otherwise don’t feel like I’ve got at the moment.

Again, thank you.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 5):
Amor Vincit OmniamissFajax87RichMThunder1
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Drew, I think it can also be cathartic to be able to discuss things with well meaning friends, perhaps in PMs, but acquaintances who are more like interested strangers.

Women tend to have a few close friends with whom they can share confidences. Men less so, I feel. I have a few friends with whom I would prefer not to share some things, as I suspect they would not respect the confidences as I would like

A bit like Crocodile Dundee said. Just tell so and so, he'll tell everyone else, and then you haven't got a secret to worry about.

I'm fortunate to have a wife with whom I can share everything. (I hope!)

It's good to talk. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

UPDATE Re: From posting to lurking…

Post by jkbarnes »

The source of all my anxiety and stress was finally resolved today. As a teacher, I need to be licensed by the state. Virginia requires a teacher to renew his license ever 5 years. This was my year to renew, and as it’s been in the past, it paralyzed me with anxiety. In my head I’d convinced myself I didn’t have enough points to renew, that I’d failed to meet a significant requirement, and that I was going to lose my job and my potential pension. Then my wife would be furious that I’d ruined our future, etc., etc., etc.

I knew none of it was true, but that’s not how anxiety works.

Anyway, I forced myself to sit down and talk with someone in the building I felt close and that I had trust in. She talked me off the ledge, so to speak, and today I got all my paperwork in for renewal, literally on the last possible day.

The upside is that I’ll never have to do this again!

Anxiety is a cruel liar.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 3):
watchaholicPeteomissF
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: UPDATE: From posting to lurking…

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Thanks for sharing your current feelings, situation and anxiety with us Drew; as I advocated in another thread recently 'A problem shared is a problem halved'; you've done that, with us and your colleague, and you have your situation resolved.

Deep breath.

I'm sure the Summer Holidays are not too far away for you and you'll be able to enjoy some R & R (rest & relaxation) soon, along with drives out in your Miata. You can then look forward to a final year of your vocation and retirement.

Stay safe and take care.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
jkbarnes
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:38 am I'm sure the Summer Holidays are not too far away for you and you'll be able to enjoy some R & R (rest & relaxation) soon, along with drives out in your Miata. You can then look forward to a final year of your vocation and retirement.
Today was the last day of school! Speaking of my Miata, the weather was perfect for the drive up to my wife’s with the top down. It was such a joy and a release. I had the music blasting as I threw the car into the curves on the backroads. It was glorious and exactly what I needed.

Your comment about a problem shared being a problem halved is something that I will constantly keep on my mind. I experienced that this week. Such solid advice, Guy.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSrkovars
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: UPDATE Re: From posting to lurking…

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:25 am Anxiety is a cruel liar.
Ain’t that the truth. I’ve battled fairly severe anxiety for most of my life. As you described above, the best remedy is talking! Whether to a friend or therapist, or practicing positive self-talk. I’m glad you have this anxiety lifted, Drew!
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
jkbarnes
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

It's terrific to hear there is a breakthrough to a resolution, Drew. You have friends here, even if 'virtual' who are good people and you've earned respect in this place. It is indeed good to share thoughts with such folk who are not so close to a situation.

Now this may seem a bit flippant but it genuinely works for me:
I wear a watch to work, I get home and I swap watches. It turns work off and starts something new. Tomorrow is another day.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:25 am The source of all my anxiety and stress was finally resolved today.
Great to hear, Drew
I hope you have a chilled out Summer ☀️

Was was your driving music BTW ?

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
jkbarnes
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

magicman wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:39 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:25 am The source of all my anxiety and stress was finally resolved today.
Great to hear, Drew
I hope you have a chilled out Summer ☀️

Was was your driving music BTW ?

Regards Steve

Good question! I reckon Shout by Tears for Fears: "Shout, shout, let it all out". Singing at full volume in an otherwise empty car on a long journey is a cathartic exercise in my experience (and nobody should hear me sing at any volume, that would not be a pleasant experience for them!).

Enjoy your break @jkbarnes. I reckon you deserve it.
These users thanked the author RichM for the post:
jkbarnes