Forum in the Doldrums?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Forum in the Doldrums?

Post by PaulJS »

Having been hanging around here for about a year it seems to me that things have got a bit stagnant of late. In the wake of the rebranding furore things seem to be limping along, comparatively.

A few attempts to liven things up through "Off Topic" threads have been met, in my opinion, with treatment as if we are naughty schoolboys sniggering at the back of the classroom.

And yes I am referring to the Lewis threads 8)

We are all bought together via this medium primarily through a love of watches, but man cannot live on bread alone, and other avenues of entertainment and interest are needed to sustain interest: there is a limit to how gripping it is to know "what you are listening to" or "what you are drinking"!

I would suggest we are all likely to be ABC 1s and as such have formulated thoughts and opinions beyond "what's your favourite colour?"

My view is that the powers that be need to be a bit more tolerant of "Off Topic" threads and allow more latitude within the rules. For me this is often the most interesting section as I don't want a pure diet of watch related fodder or puerile questions that offer no intellectual stimulation. Some of the contents of the banned or deleted threads were amongst the most inventive and amusing I have seen posted here with people building on and bouncing off others' contributions. Unfortunately these seemed to offend the sensibilities of some moderators.

Ultimately no one needs to read a thread they don't like, so as long as it's within the rules why stamp on it?

Equally, you may say I don't need to patronise this forum if I don't like the regime. This is true, but I do enjoy much of the content and "the company". I just need a bit more variety and interest to sustain me in between interesting watch related matters.

I am not necessarily trying to garner support here - just interested in other's views on how we keep the forum fresh and ticking along in between significant horological events :thumbup:

Cheers,
Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Forum in the Doldrums?

Post by teestech »

^^ a well considered post which is pretty much on the money IMO.
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Sadly my interest in future CW products has diminished greatly and and i now mainly check NCWOTD and Offtopic. Nothing against the mods from me.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

Maybe this topic should be in the Offtopic section, since it isn't really about Christopher Ward watches?

If I understand correctly, you want to post on the Christopher Ward forum on subjects not related to CW watches or other brands of watch?
Isn't that what the 'Offtopic' section is for?

Personally I like to read about CW watches in the 'CW watches' section and other brands of watch in the 'Other brands' section...
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

Hear hear :thumbup:
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Agree with you, but it ain't ever going to happen.

Even a couple of threads recently on the most important vote for several generations in Europe fell foul of the no politics rule and were whipped away into the ether. (I don't even want to mention it in case this thread gets nixed.)

I have made many friends on here, will continue to frequent here, but I only seem to wish people happy birthday or
welcome them.

It is all a bit grey, and whilst I do not mind seeing new threads on the same model of watch it would be nice to have a bit of excitement!

I do understand the rules and why they have them, and this is designed to be a friendly family place, so I would like to advocate a "bear pit" type sub section with more relaxed moderation, where people can go, be normal, and not worry about offending anyone.

I do still love it here though! :)

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

PaulJS wrote:Having been hanging around here for about a year it seems to me that things have got a bit stagnant of late. In the wake of the rebranding furore things seem to be limping along, comparatively.
The forum can be a bit seasonal, Paul. It can be quite lively, as you know, when there is a sale or a new launch /rebranding such as we have seen recently. I am also struggling to find any topics that are really interesting me at the moment, but I'm sure something will come along. Meanwhile I can get on with other things! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

I would offer an opinion, but I'm still on kip's naughty step!

So :silent:
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

smegwina wrote:Agree with you, but it ain't ever going to happen.

Even a couple of threads recently on the most important vote for several generations in Europe fell foul of the no politics rule and were whipped away into the ether. (I don't even want to mention it in case this thread gets nixed.)

I have made many friends on here, will continue to frequent here, but I only seem to wish people happy birthday or
welcome them.

It is all a bit grey, and whilst I do not mind seeing new threads on the same model of watch it would be nice to have a bit of excitement!

I would like to advocate a "bear pit" type sub section with more relaxed moderation, where people can go, be normal, and not worry about offending anyone.

I do still love it here though! :)

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
I agree with what Nick has said :thumbup:
Bernie
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

This is a watch forum, owned by a company that makes watches.

Is it a surprise that the topics are generally limited to watches?
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

hughesyn wrote:This is a watch forum, owned by a company that makes watches.

Is it a surprise that the topics are generally limited to watches?
They're not, as far as I know. Hence we have the 'off topic' section with threads on cars, music, sports, computers and others.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z5 Premium
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
bobbubka
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Forum in the Doldrums?

Post by bobbubka »

golfjunky wrote:Sadly my interest in future CW products has diminished greatly and and i now mainly check NCWOTD and Offtopic. Nothing against the mods from me.
This sums up my situation pretty well, resulting in my recent dip in posting. Agreed regarding the mods too - they do a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CW C60 600 GMT and C65 Vintage
Rolex 14060M and 114300
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Do You Feel Lucky Punk?

Post by scooter »

I'm happy to have a ruck with anyone about anything but only when and if the rules allow it.

If we decide to discuss religion, politics and the likes it's gonna get heated but I'm up for it. Doing it sneakily in the Three Words Thread was well out of order.

Meanwhile for those that want plenty of aggro why not test yourself first in the Bear Pit over on TZ to see if that's what you want from this place.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

Post by Reggie747 deleted for breaching forum rules.
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

Lawn mowers anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches