27%

Total votes: 15

magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Football question.

Post by magicman »

Just wondering, what people think of their teams performance this season.

As a Tottenham Hotspur fan, im talking football, and my overall feeling is dissatisfaction, but predominantly fustration.
I'm only an armchair supporter, so I would probably never get to the angry stage.
But what a shambles.

I'm not sure what stage the American Football league is at, but if that's nearing completion then please join in , and any other team sports where leagues are finishing.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Football question.

Post by Thegreyman »

My football team, Dundee, won promotion to the Scottish Premier League for next season. I put happy rather than thrilled as we didn't play particularly good football and there must be a reasonable probability we will go straight back down again, we are the classic yo-yo team :lol:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Completely indifferent. As a Stoke City “supporter” one gets used to endless seasons when nothing much happens. Relegation avoided with a few games to spare, absolutely no chance of getting anywhere near the playoffs after Christmas, FA Cup 5th Rd – very inconsistent performances. To be fair, I haven’t lived there full time since I was 18 and I haven’t been back there for six years.

In some ways I wish I supported a team where the season is a failure if you don’t win a trophy or qualify for the Champions League. On the other hand… :-k

@magicman I think American football is yet to get going – I believe the season runs from about September through to the Super Bowl in February.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

:censored: A lifelong Womble here. Angry this season. Don’t get me wrong, football in Wimbledon is a minor miracle having had the original club franchised to Milton Keynes - a failed football experiment. So AFC Wimbledon started again with absolutely nothing at the bottom tier of the pyramid and to be in League 2 is an achievement. But… we’ve been swimming against the tide for many seasons now and last season’s collapse was symptomatic of a club that’s struggling. I have, against my better judgement, renewed my season ticket. But if this season is anything like the last few, then it might be my last :censored: :censored:
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
Caller
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Just an armchair follower, but Leicester have been awful this year. They definitely were not too good to go down. They were abject at Newcastle when they needed to win.

They failed to beat both Leeds and Everton Ithe last couple of weeks when a win in either game would have kept them up, it turned out, and missed penalties in both.

I excuse Jamie Vardy. But for him this would have happened earlier. I was surprised he stayed with the club, after they won the league. He would have been great at Arsenal. Personally I think certain Leicester stars are over rated. I won't go on.
ben.ch
CW-watches: 1

Post by ben.ch »

Southampton fan here. Enough said. :thumbdown:
These users thanked the author ben.ch for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Disappointed as a Liverpool fan.

To play 63 games out of a possible 63 the season before and with a lack of break due to the world cup was bound to have an impact both physically and mentally this season.

Along with missing out on 2 major trophies after an almost perfect season must be psychologically difficult to handle too.

That said, the same tools were there this season, if not more and putting any excuses aside there were so many disappointing moments when things appeared to be back on track and then were not.

Bring on 23/24.
Amor Vincit Omnia

ben.ch wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:30 am Southampton fan here. Enough said. :thumbdown:
Belatedly…Welcome. Do please visit the Member Introduction section and tell us about yourself. 8)

My sympathies. Southampton are a bit like Stoke were in the Premier League. Stick around for a few seasons, never really look like winning much. It’s becoming more and more difficult to get out of the championship now, at least in the right direction.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Amor Vincit Omnia

A1soknownas wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:40 am Disappointed as a Liverpool fan.
Sorry if this sounds contentious and unsympathetic, but supporters of almost all clubs would give their eye teeth for the success you have had in the past. A friend of mine is a Chelsea supporter and feels very much the same. You still qualify for Europe.

It’s the “Bad Season If You Don’t Win a Trophy” mentality.
Steve

ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

American football ended in February, and preseason games don’t start until August. But there’s a lot of buzz going on right now in the NFL since the draft just happened a few weeks ago and training camps have started.

Being a Lions fan, last season was a rare “happy” season even though we were middle of the pack and missed the playoffs. We finally have decent management and a young/hungry team that appears whole and playing well together. Maybe this is our year! Looking for our first championship since the 1950s!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

A1soknownas wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:40 am Disappointed as a Liverpool fan.
Bring on 23/24.
No, I can understand that. I doubt many fans of any club expected Liverpool to miss out on the ECL. Even at the end of the season when they had a rush of form, and it looked to me like they might yet get above Newcastle and Man Utd, they started dropping points again.

Liverpool have a lot of general goodwill I think, as many fans second favourite team, as a result if the wonderful playing style of the last few years.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
asqwerth
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:48 am It’s the “Bad Season If You Don’t Win a Trophy” mentality.
From my perspective it isn't entirely linked to winning a trophy. It is not competing to what your resources should allow which is applicable to all clubs.

I wasn't old enough for the successes say in the 80s so most of my adult life has not been comparing them to an earlier period I was part of and assume should continue.

It is disappointing when you don't compete for the title based upon last year with hopes written off very early. Whilst I'm grateful of European football, to go back to Europa and have my Thurs night at Anfield again like in 2016 compared to the CL is an obvious disappointment.

It may sound daft but sometimes I am envious of other clubs and fans who have more of a journey up and down and not every week is an expected 3 points. Plus the advantage of it may be easier to get tickets!
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by Martin »

This is where football is going. Everyone is a 'fan' of one of the top six clubs in the Premier League. No-one goes anywhere near a real football ground. Everyone has a grievance because their choice of club to 'support' doesn't win all of the time. Now you have clubs operating as interests of middle east nations. The guy who writes the cheques for Man City has been to one match reportedly. And the financial rules have just been tilted in the big six' favour yet again. It doesn't have a lot to do with sport any more.

Sorry for the rant,
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Tottenham Hotspur fan here, chosen after careful consideration the year NBC started broadcasting Premier league. I think it was the comparison to Fredo from The Godfather that convinced me. That, and I didn’t want to root for Manchester United like it seems every other American does.

While I’m disappointed in the season, I’m just an armchair supporter at best. It’s not the end of the world for me.

My wife chose to root for Leister this season after hearing about their fairytale 2015-16 season. Now she’s torn with relegation - continue to follow Leister even though we can’t watch the games here or chose a new team. She’s learning towards following Arsenal next season, since that was the team she rooted for when she spent a semester in London in college. That will make for a nice rivalry in the house!
Drew
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Martin »

QED