Football question.

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward

Are you happy with your teams season ?

Thrilled
2
13%
Happy
3
20%
Indifferent
1
7%
Disappointed
3
20%
Frustrated
2
13%
Angry
4
27%
 
Total votes: 15

Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:45 pm
CW-watches: 2

Re: Football question.

Post by Danbailey007 »

I went for happy. As a Blackburn Rovers fan it was disappointing to miss out on the playoffs and slip away from the automatic spots after the world cup break but this season has built on the last and hopefully next season we can stick around and secure a spot a lot sooner.

Some of the more experienced and higher earners are on the move and lots of focus on youth which is always good. Just need a couple of decent signings and not have such long runs of poor results to sustain a challenge.
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 33585
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 4
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Football question.

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Martin wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:09 pm This is where football is going. Everyone is a 'fan' of one of the top six clubs in the Premier League.
I’m not. But I take your point. And six is quite a big number when you consider that in a number of European top tiers there are often no more than two or three clubs that win anything. As @A1soknownas says, it’s about resources…which is about…MONEY!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time


Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
User avatar
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2520
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 pm
CW-watches: 14
Location: Surrey

Re: Football question.

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Martin wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:09 pm This is where football is going. Everyone is a 'fan' of one of the top six clubs in the Premier League. No-one goes anywhere near a real football ground.
I partially agree with this….. last year’s reaction to the European Super League showed that many fans are still rooted in the need for clubs to be representative of their communities rather than just global financial superpowers. That said lower/ non-league clubs still attract some great attendances too
GrumpyFrog
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:13 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: Football question.

Post by GrumpyFrog »

Thrilled. Perhaps I should add, as a Man City fan of some 55 summers, "at this stage of the season". If we win the FA Cup and CL then, yes, it will be our best season ever.
Have been to a few games this season including the CL semi against Madrid. Don't think I've ever witnessed a more one-sided game than the first half of that encounter. Against such quality opposition, it was imperious.
Taking a broader perspective, I don't think City's days in the sun will extend much beyond Pep's departure although, with good organisation and backing, I won't need to worry about a 40 point minimum any time soon. Teams come and go and I have developed no sense of entitlement. I'm genuinely pleased to see other teams compete for top honours and believe that the equitable sharing of TV money from the PL makes for a better "product". The CL prize money, however, is so lucrative as to distort competition and some adjustment here should be entertained.
These users thanked the author GrumpyFrog for the post:
Martin
User avatar
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Hua Hin, Thailand

Re: Football question.

Post by Caller »

Chelsea fan here. Lifelong by the by. Both sides of my family are from the Sands End area of Fulham and within a 10 minute walk to Stamford Bridge, although none of the extended family remain in the area. And even if they could afford to, the old Fulham we all knew has long gone. I am now obviously too far away ro travel, but various friends who I used to go to games with, all now retired, and family still regularly attend.

So most definitely not a plastic fan and did my time watching them lose here, there and everywhere, as we nearly plummeted into the old division 3.

There isn't a 'shocked' option. But that would have been my choice. A chaotic season, 3 managers, new American owners wasting heaps of money on God knows whose advise, which after the calmess of the the end of the Abramovich reign, was really not expected.

We lost a couple of top players because of the sanctions, and Tuchel lost some of the shine that had seen him succeed after inheriting Lampards team. His sacking still came as a major shock. Then came the great English hope, Potter, who seemed out of his depth and comfort zone from day one. He made the original tinkerman look positively benign and sadly, was found wanting. Lampard has been basically holding what was left of a bad job, with way too many players to choose from, many knowing only too well they will not be at the Bridge next season.

So, it would be good to believe - and hope - that this was a season to put down to experience, that the sun will shine forever blue from now on, with an ex-spud as our new manager! I wish him well. We have some great young loanees returning, such as Levi Colwill, who had an outstanding season for Brighton. And Poch will have to learn quickly and respect the fans support for the academy players, with hopefully James and Broja being fit for next season, and not selling Mount! But I fear that's a done deal.
These users thanked the author Caller for the post:
Kansas City Milkman
'Tis me
User avatar
LCFC72
Senior
Senior
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 4:16 pm
CW-watches: 3

Re: Football question.

Post by LCFC72 »

Leicester fan so need I say more :censored:
User avatar
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Hua Hin, Thailand

Re: Football question.

Post by Caller »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:08 am :censored: A lifelong Womble here. Angry this season.
Wimbledon are one of my 'other' teams (being a Chelsea fan). Partly because of location - I come from Roehampton, partly because the local league I was involved in used Plough Lane as it's HQ, where The Sportsman became a popular watering hole at meetings nights. Partly because I used to use the gym there, located under the stand, then run by Mike Winch and Judy Oakes, and partly because I would sometimes watch them play, the best being the 1-0 win over Cloughies Nottingham Forest.

I agree that the last 2-3 seasons have gone badly wrong, but even so far away, I follow the goings on from afar, partly because Will Nightingale is my friends son! And his father was some player as well.
'Tis me
User avatar
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2520
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 pm
CW-watches: 14
Location: Surrey

Re: Football question.

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Caller wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:32 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:08 am :censored: A lifelong Womble here. Angry this season.
Wimbledon are one of my 'other' teams (being a Chelsea fan). Partly because of location - I come from Roehampton, partly because the local league I was involved in used Plough Lane as it's HQ, where The Sportsman became a popular watering hole at meetings nights. Partly because I used to use the gym there, located under the stand, then run by Mike Winch and Judy Oakes, and partly because I would sometimes watch them play, the best being the 1-0 win over Cloughies Nottingham Forest.

I agree that the last 2-3 seasons have gone badly wrong, but even so far away, I follow the goings on from afar, partly because Will Nightingale is my friends son! And his father was some player as well.
Good stuff @Caller! There’s been no SW London rivalry between us for some time now. There were some good games back in the day. I’ve no stranger to Stamford Bridge either, having been there a few times either to see Chelsea or to follow the SuperDons.

Must be a strange and frustrating time being a Chelsea fan. All that investment yet only being assured of Prem safety a few games ago. I was hoping Lampard might have had some success being an interim manager. His recent win ratio (including Everton) isn’t great and the performances look under-par. I reckon Poch will do well.

Will Nightingale, as you’ll know, is one of our own and he really embodies what Wimbledon are all about. I’d say he is up there in the top few Wimbledon characters who will stay in the hearts of the fans. Shame his injuries have limited his appearances, but always good to see him back when fit.

#COYD!
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
Caller
Murphy20
Senior
Senior
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:47 am

Re: Football question.

Post by Murphy20 »

I went for ‘thrilled’ on the basis that Forest will be playing premier league football again next season. I have split allegiances however, having grown up in East Anglia I really would have liked the Canaries to be joining Forest next season.
Selfhood begins with a walking away, and love is proved in the letting go.
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:34 pm
CW-watches: 7

Re: Football question.

Post by Gar787 »

Evertonian here. I’d have ticked a category titled ‘embarrassed!’ Then again, we stayed up and I’m confident that EVERY member of this forum wishes Everton well due to the ‘alignment’ with CW….😉🙈🙄
PHIL
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:34 pm
CW-watches: 7

Re: Football question.

Post by Gar787 »

JAFO wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:25 pm
A1soknownas wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:40 am Disappointed as a Liverpool fan.
Bring on 23/24.
No, I can understand that. I doubt many fans of any club expected Liverpool to miss out on the ECL. Even at the end of the season when they had a rush of form, and it looked to me like they might yet get above Newcastle and Man Utd, they started dropping points again.

Liverpool have a lot of general goodwill I think, as many fans second favourite team, as a result if the wonderful playing style of the last few years.
I doubt that very much after Klopp’s behaviour this season.
PHIL
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
Posts: 3138
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 2:14 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: South Wales

Re: Football question.

Post by StrappedUp »

Caller wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:12 pm And Poch will have to learn quickly and respect the fans support for the academy players
Spud here :lol:

I think this is an absolute given and one of the obvious reasons he was chosen for the role. Absolutely gutted with this appointment from a personal view as I was always a huge Poch fan, but you now have the 'perfect' fit given the amount of talent in the squad and youth peppered in.

BUT .... I still wish him zero success for the upcoming season! :D

Edit - I didn't comment on our season as we have also gone through 3 different coaches and played some of our worst football of the last decade.
These users thanked the author StrappedUp for the post:
Caller
Ryan
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:08 am
CW-watches: 14
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Football question.

Post by BobMunro »

I've carried the heavy burden of being a lifelong Charlton Athletic fan and just suffered yet another season of frustration - both on and off the field.
These users thanked the author BobMunro for the post:
Martin
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post