Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Folding phone warning.

Post by magicman »

Good morning

This could have been a post for the Curmudgeon Corner, but I thought it deserved its own thread.
This is based on my first experience of owning a Folding phone.
Just over 1 year ago, I purchased a Samsung Flip 4 phone, A fantastic bit of tech, for a while. I'm not sure exactly, but after a few month's the factory fitted screen protector started to come away at the edges of the crease in the screen, i removed it a few weeks later, as it was cracking and hindering performance of the folding mechanism and interaction with the screen.
I wasn't made aware, that this protector would be replaced, free if charge by Samsung, on the first occasion.
My fault for not checking.
After around 10 months of use, the actual screen, started to crack across the crease. I took it into my phone provider , when it had developed Futher cracks and they sent it off to Samsung.
I received it back a week later, not repaired, with a letter stating the damage was not covered by the warranty, Unfortunately the phone was sent off 1 year and 2 days after I got it, so I presumed it was 2 days out of warranty.
I didn't except this outcome, and when visiting Westfield shopping centre, I took it into the Samsung store, I was told to book an appointment, I got one 2 weeks later.
I attended the appointment and was advised that the warranty was 2 years , Fandabbydozy !.
The technician, checked out the phone, apparently a minor blemish, which I couldn't see with my naked eye, and was on the bezel of the phone, top right corner. Is what had caused the screen damage, and subsequent warranty repair refusal, nothing to do with the folding of the phone and It not being fit for purpose, No ! This tiny scratch, which I could even feel with my finger tip, had cracked the screen , across the fold, about 3 inches away.
I was rushing, so left the shop, confused and angry, I should have asked to see the manager.
I came home, made some notes, took some photos, visited some forums (It's an issue) I found plenty of complaints.
So I called Samsung directly, it was a waste of time trying to navigate their website. I spoke to a very nice man, regarding my issue, he was a bit surprised to hear my story, and to hear that the problem was diagnosed by the in-store technician in 5 mins, without thorough investigation.
So he arranged for DPD to collect the phone and for it to go to one of their authorised repair centers.
The DPD collection service was excellent, with a 1 hour window for collection.
So the phone is now with Samsung, and after tracking the repair, it now seems, they are repairing it. 3rd time lucky 🤞.
What an annoying time. The worst bit for me, isn't the failure of the screen, I'm used to things not living up to expectations, it's the total nightmare, of setting up an old phone, to use in the interim. It took me 3 weeks in total, until I was sure everything, had come across, missing apps, photos, contacts etc. I use the phone for everything.
Oh I forgot to mention, I had to factory reset the phone, before taking it in the first time, obviously it was unnecessary back then, as they didn't repair it, and I was advised, that there is a maintenance setting, on Samsung phones, which means the phone doesn't need a factory reset, it can be put into this maintenance mode and the engineer can't access any the users information.
This would have been a godsend, to have known sooner, as setting the phone up again on its return, is not something I look forward too.

My friend also got a folding phone at the same time.
He got the Samsung Fold, rather than the flip, and he had the opposite issue, as he doesn't need to open it up regularly, because the front screen is fully functioning. His hinge failed. To be fair to Samsung, his was repaired under warranty, without issue.
But obviously, he also had the stress of setting up a new temporary phone too, and he didn't know about maintenance mode either.

I don't like big phones, so this flip phone design, seemed perfect for my needs, but I don't think I'll get another.
Currently using a Google Pixel 5 which as a pure Android phone is very good, but it is a frustrating phone to use, to produce quotes etc, as the screen can be quite unresponsive. Which is a shame as it comes in a very pocket friendly size.

Here's a couple of photos of the Samsung Flip 4 for reference.
PXL_20231003_084736018.jpg
PXL_20230904_100546683.jpg
Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post (total 2):
StifKip
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Folding phone warning.

Post by Stif »

Sorry to hear about all of this Steve, it sounds like a total nightmare!

The bit that jumps out at me is your line "my fault for not checking" about the screen protector, and honestly I couldn't disagree more! I've read a few similar posts across various forums and it seems the screen protector never lasts much more than a year, but given the folding phone design (specifically it's fragile, folding screen) the protector is a critical component... these shouldn't be failing at all within the 2 year warranty, let alone Samsung having a policy of only replacing them once!

Nope, this is entirely on them!

I love the idea of a folding phone, but even now in the 4th generation I don't think they're quite there yet - and given how large a problem e-waste is, I think it's absolutely shameful that companies like Samsung are essentially building these to be disposable within a couple of years!

I'm usually pretty quick to jump on new tech, but my current phone is about to hit 2 years old and it's still absolutely perfect for me, so I'm planning to keep for at least another year (and it'll get full OS software updates from Google for another 2) - I might be tempted by a folding phone in the future if they can improve the tech a bit by then.
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
magicman
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

i am due to replace my phone within the next year. The folding phones have been under strong consideration as well as converting over to an iPhone, which is what my wife has a strong preference for.

I favor the compactness of the folding phone but have been wary of the folding screen as you have menntioned. Your unfortunate experience not only with the phone, but with Samsung is pushing me towards Apple.

Thanks for your post about the issues.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post (total 2):
Stifmagicman
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Like others I love the idea of a folding phone but have read far too many complaints about longevity to actually consider one.

I do hope you get yours back soon and repaired to your total satisfaction.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post:
magicman
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

Personally, I don't think that folding phones are quite there yet. The internet is full of stories similar to yours with people experiencing creases in the screen, factory fitted screen protectors lifting, grit getting in between the screen and device where it hinges. Coupled with pretty awful customer service on what is widely reported as a common fault, the odds are against those devices.

A great idea, but if the technology isn't there to ensure that they're resilient enough for day to day use, then they should be pulled.

It's interesting regarding what you said about having issues with setting up an alternative device as a backup while yours in in for repair. This always used to be (amongst other things) an Android bugbear for me, so I assumed that time would have improved that. I can say with confidence that if I lost my iPhone, I could grab a new one and restore the most recent backup (taken at various intervals throughout the day to iCloud), and be up and running within an hour. Sure, I'd have to type in the passwords for my email accounts and go through security to activate all of my cards in ApplePay but other than waiting for the backup to restore and possibly losing a couple of photos and messages not backed up in the previous couple of hours (if simply swapping the phone for a newer model, I'd force a backup and capture everything), I'd have a phone in my hand which was set up and operating exactly the same as my old one.

I'm not getting into an Android vs. Apple debate; Android has a lot of benefits over iOS and vice versa. Device cost for one. Plus, the hardware specification tends to be better. Displays look so much bolder and brighter, and the interface is much more "fluid" and user friendly than it used to be. However, my preference is to remain in the Apple ecosystem because everything just works for me.

Fingers crossed that you don't have too many issues restoring the phone when it comes back to you! One day, an effective backup/restore procedure may be on the cards!
These users thanked the author Trs1982 for the post:
magicman
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I had the same thing with my Z flip Steve. However it was fixed under warranty after about a year and a half by the folks at samsung westfield. It was a total PITA and the screen started to show further problems so in the end I outed it.
Like you I don't like large phones so decided to to go to an apple iphone 13 mini. The last of their compact phones and I think the smallest one on the market. I have been really pleased with out and it is part of my 'All in' with the apple ecosystem. (watch,2 apple tv's, phone and ipad)

I would not get another folding phone.
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
magicman
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@magicman

An awkward tale, Steve, but any idea how you got the dent in the corner of the case?

Do you use a protective cover designed to protect the phone from accidental damage?

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
magicman
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

To me the folding phone just seems a bit of a gimmick, like 3D tellies had turned out to be. I am happy with my candy bar phone, and a biggish display..I did buy a 3D TV but there's hardly any content for it now, and we never use the 3D functions.

If you keep folding a phone, surely wires, or whatever connects points either side of the fold will break at some point, irrespective of the screen itself.

Anyway, I hope you get it back very soon, restored to full working order, Steve. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
magicman
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:44 am @magicman

An awkward tale, Steve, but any idea how you got the dent in the corner of the case?

Do you use a protective cover designed to protect the phone from accidental damage?

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk
Hi Guy

From day one, the phone was kept in a good quality case, I just think a bit of grit got between the case and bezel, it's really nothing but a minor blemish.
I've got a drawer full of phones, including the original iPhone. All in really good condition, There's also numerous family members using my older phones. So I'd say I'm a pretty careful user.
I've always put them in a good quality case, a glass screen protector is also fitted (Not possible with the flip phone)
The only phone that suffered damage before was an iPhone 12, which suffered a broken screen. So I got that repaired and my mum has it now.

I think once I get it back from the menders, I will try and limit the amount of times, I open and shut it.
By making more use of the front screen, and leaving it open when it's not iny pocket.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

JAFO wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:00 pm To me the folding phone just seems a bit of a gimmick, like 3D tellies had turned out to be. I am happy with my candy bar phone, and a biggish display..I did buy a 3D TV but there's hardly any content for it now, and we never use the 3D functions.

If you keep folding a phone, surely wires, or whatever connects points either side of the fold will break at some point, irrespective of the screen itself.

Anyway, I hope you get it back very soon, restored to full working order, Steve. :D
I think there are many people, out there that like/need a larger screen, but don't like the overall size, now that phones are pretty large.
My friend's Fold, would really be perfect for me, with its large front screen for basic use, and the massive tablet size screen inside for doing my paperwork, editing photos/videos etc, but it's a monster, and unless I'm wearing cargo shorts, I've not got a pocket big enough for it.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Like @stefs , I went with the 13 mini about 2 years ago. Great size, easily slips into any pocket and does anything I need it to. Too bad it’s not available anymore.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight