|First attempt at regulation...

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

|First attempt at regulation...

Post by xtriple »

Was disappointed to note that my lovely old Sully was still gaining a couple of minutes a day after its recent service, so took it back to the jewellers to be regulated. "Sorry, the watch repairer is not taking any watches in until after Christmas".

Rubbish!

Five minute job if you've got the machine to beat test it ( or whatever it's called) and anyway, Christmas is weeks away...

So I brought it home again and did it myself. Knocked it about three quarters of a segment towards the "slow" mark and wore it for a couple of days. Difficult to tell acurately as it has no second hand but after a day or three (or four to be honest) it had gained a minute, so just nudged the adjustment a fraction further, so far, so good.

I feel like a proper WIS now 8)
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: |First attempt at regulation...

Post by alphajet »

Well done, sometimes it just has to be done. :D
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

Lummy!

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Well done XT. My first (and so far only) attempt was with my Alpha sub. It showed up about 45 sec/day fast. With my somewhat ham-fisted coordination and a lack of any proper tools I got it to about 20 sec/day. Good enough for my needs, considering it is a $60 Chinese special.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

You are not a proper WIS till you've taken the back of a watch and prodded it around in the vain attempt to regulate/fix/adjust it...usually with mixed results and the addition of some swearing :lol:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

village wrote:You are not a proper WIS till you've taken the back of a watch and prodded it around in the vain attempt to regulate/fix/adjust it...usually with mixed results and the addition of some swearing :lol:
So very true and well said.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Good job but you said it was a couple of minutes off per day. That's unbelievable because most adjustments will not give that much span of adjustment to get it back, not by the internal adjustment alone maxed out. I'm can't say it's impossible. I don't know what movement you're dealing with. I adjusted my Zeppelen one time that has the ETA 2824. Maxed it to the negative and the difference was only about 12 seconds.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Russ, for ETA movements, I've read that each 'tick' on the plate is equal to about 5 seconds. So a movement that is +/-0 when centered can be adjusted to +/- 15 seconds.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

I have no idea what movement it is as no one seems to know anything about the Sully. However, it was gaining about two minutes a day and one "notch" on the adjustment nearly sorted it. I gave it another slight nudge a couple of days later and I reckon it's about spot-on. Hard to tell though as it has no second hand but I've been wearing it for 5 days now and it is still on the correct minute - so good enough for me.

Seriously, there are about 4 increments either way (+ or- ) and it is VERY sensitive. The slightest nudge was enough to slow it from a minute every other day to about right - and it really was the very slightest of nudges.

I thought all watches were like this?
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I've read that in the 2824-2 each mark on the plus/minus scale equates to around 5 or 6 seconds.

Here's a couple of good articles on the topic..

Regulating a Malvern by Hans

Adjusting a 2824-2 >20 sec/day
Richard