Finding contentment in watches

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Finding contentment in watches

Post by johncolescarr »

For the first time in a long time, I’m in a happy place with my collection right now.

I’ve mentioned several time in this forum my frenetic buying and selling episodes. If I’m perfectly honest, this is probably a result of unhappiness elsewhere rather than in my watches.

A case in point, I must have sold and repurchased the skx007 4 times, and if I add up the various C60 iterations we’re talking perhaps 10+?

I’ve struggled with owning a large collection, I’ve struggled with owning a small collection. I’m calling t my current number my Goldilocks collection.

But right now I’m excited to get the gang back together (one is being serviced) so I can do my first SOTC post.

Some may snigger as the collection is but a fraction of many collections (both in terms of value and size) but I’m super chuffed as I love every one, each gets pretty much the same wrist time and importantly I can’t see that I’d sell any.

My measure of contentment is:
1. I will happily service the watch despite it being barely worth it financially
2. I love each watch because of its quirky foibles, not despite of them (weird lugs, non matching colour date wheel, logo placement, etc etc)
3. I couldn’t give a monkeys as to whether they are in fashion right now, get viewed as forum “darlings” or not, get criticised for generic calibres, get accused of being homages, etc etc. I think each one is fantastic in its own right.

Is this me done? I would never be so bold as to state this, I’m sure there will be watches bought and watches sold, but my feelings right now is to stop, enjoy what I have and soak up watch news, blogs, podcasts etc as an interested observer rather than customer
These users thanked the author johncolescarr for the post (total 4):
jkbarneswelshladmissFthomcat00
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Finding contentment in watches

Post by ajax87 »

Congrats! This sounds like a good place to be. I hope to join you someday!
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
johncolescarr
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I love this post - but especially this bit:

johncolescarr wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:45 am
My measure of contentment is:
1. I will happily service the watch despite it being barely worth it financially
2. I love each watch because of its quirky foibles, not despite of them (weird lugs, non matching colour date wheel, logo placement, etc etc)
3. I couldn’t give a monkeys as to whether they are in fashion right now, get viewed as forum “darlings” or not, get criticised for generic calibres, get accused of being homages, etc etc. I think each one is fantastic in its own right.
This is so perceptive. This is my idea of a ‘good’ collection and I hope you enjoy the well earned feeling of contentment you have found. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
johncolescarr
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I think it is healthy for us all to take a step back and look long and hard at what we are doing. This hobby is supposed to be fun after all. There are many pieces in my collection that at the most would get ridicule and at the very least would be looked over by the wider internet. Like you, I could care less. What is important to me when I look down at my collection is that I see pieces of myself. I am lucky to still have pieces that reach pretty far back in time and I managed to hold onto in the intervening years.

One of the most difficult aspects of this hobby for anyone is managing a collection. Everyone's comfort zone is different and the collection size is mostly a moving target. What was once comfortable becomes unwieldly and then reverts. Getting into a sweet spot might be the true grail!

Very much looking forward to the SOTC post now.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
jkbarnes
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London