Feelings or looks?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Feelings or looks?

Post by missF »

... No, this isn’t going to be a blurb in a glossy magazine about how to find your love match...

This morning I’m wondering - for those who don’t have a set watch rotation, how do you choose the watch you want to wear for the day. One that looks good / looks good with what you’re wearing? Or one that feels good / matches your mood?

I’m only wondering because the Sandstorm on pink combo I was ‘rocking’ yesterday is turning me right off this morning. Mood has obviously changed! :thumbup:
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Feelings or looks?

Post by iain »

I usually choose based on what I’m doing that day. My lucky watch is my EP so I’ll wear that when feel I might need some. There’s no reason or logic to it but I’ve never failed an interview when I’ve had it on.

I tend to be less likely to wear a leather strap watch if it’s raining as I don’t want to get it wet. My bronze pro300 was on leather for a while but now lives on its hybrid strap to make it more flexible. My IWC chronograph tends to be worn less for this reason so I’m thinking about changing to something else, rubber or bracelet.

I have my “out on the beer” selection which might get an odd knock, this is Bremont territory.

Other than that it often comes down what’s running if it’s a work day as I’m up early so can’t be bothered setting anything. I tend to wear the same watch all week at work and swap of an evening. Weekends tend be more varied but I don’t really have any logic to it all.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Maybe we need to explore ‘out on the beer’ watches! This seems like a very important topic. I mean, you need G-shock functionality but you’re probably a bit dressed up (clean jeans at least?) and you want to look good at the same time :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’ve changed quite a lot in this respect. I tried rotation, but didn’t have the necessary discipline – if I didn’t fancy wearing the watch that was lined up, I just wore something else.

Working in a jacket and tie environment, I used to do a bit of matching with ties, leathers, overall colour schemes and so on, but that soon died a death.

Because I don’t wear a different watch or watch/strap combo every day, it isn’t much of an issue. When I decide I have worn a watch for long enough (usually four or five days) I will simply pick another. Watches that go best or exclusively with leather straps tend to be worn more in the winter. Generally I will try to pick a watch I haven’t worn for a while. I did choose the Twelve Ti yesterday because it was my birthday.

Picking a watch for a trip will be more of a decision, because it’s the only one I will be wearing for a couple of weeks. Recently those watches have been the MeisterSinger, the C63 GMT and the Ulysse Nardin, though the Twelve Ti might come into the reckoning either for Greece next week or more likely for Cyprus at Christmas. We shall see.

In summary, my decisions are neither complex nor easy to pin down.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

missF wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:18 am Maybe we need to explore ‘out on the beer’ watches! This seems like a very important topic. I mean, you need G-shock functionality but you’re probably a bit dressed up (clean jeans at least?) and you want to look good at the same time :lol:
You may jest but it’s a serious topic…….

I don’t drink silly amounts so I’m out of control but I tend to be a little less careful after a few pints. A knock on a door frame or bar stool is more likely so nothing delicate or highly polished.

Bracelets tend to get marks, not desk diving marks, but pub table marks so something on a strap can be better.

Finally good lume so when I wake up in the dark on the sofa, fully clothed, with a mouth like the Gobi desert, I can still tell what time it is.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

Everyday is a busy workday for us pensioners; mowing the lawn, chopping down trees, taking stuff to the dump, painting the kitchen . . . . wish I was back at work sometimes. So its a choice between these two . . .
Untitled-1.jpg
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
Baser
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Baser »

For me it's about what I am doing during the day. We are a small team at work so I can be in my home office, in the the office, customer meetings, delivery driver, servicing equipment etc etc.
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

NigelS wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:00 am Everyday is a busy workday for us pensioners; mowing the lawn, chopping down trees, taking stuff to the dump, painting the kitchen . . . .
…watching athletics on the television, going to the gym, golf, Greek beaches… 8)

:irony: :wink:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
NigelS
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

NigelS wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:00 am Everyday is a busy workday for us pensioners; mowing the lawn, chopping down trees, taking stuff to the dump, painting the kitchen . . . . wish I was back at work sometimes. So its a choice between these two . . .

Untitled-1.jpg
I'm planning to retire at the end of this year - but after reading this I'm now having second thoughts :?
These users thanked the author BobMunro for the post:
NigelS
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

No rotation here, just what I like the look of / feel like wearing that particular day.

I'm aware however many of my watches recently just sit quietly in the drawer...
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I don’t think that I ever select a watch to wear based upon mood.

My selections are mainly based upon what I am doing and where I am doing it, albeit with a slight cross over to what I am wearing.

Yes I have drinking watches. The London drinking watches have changed over the years and are now more likely to be a CW than a Rolex.

I do have watches that I am more likely to select for certain activities. Nice meals in London and the southeast I will likely wear a Moser. If back down in Devon or Cornwall a JLC or more obvious Rolex.

In the Lake District or on other walking holidays probably an Explorer, Explorer 2, North Flag or Speedmaster.

Some watches I will wear with short sleeves, for others that is unlikely, unless somewhere away from crowds.

Other than the above I just wear what I want.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

With me I guess it's a feeling thing. I only have three to choose from, but even that causes pause for thought. Two of the three have black pvd cases and black straps so they're quite visible in their own right. Whatever colours I'm wearing they don't pair, there's a definite contrast. I've grown to like that, it draws my attention to the watch as a separate entity, not a fashion consideration.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

I try to strike a balance between mood and activity.
I wear whatever I wake up with on the wrist untill I'm having my coffee and figuring out the day plan. Than it's off to the collection to find the gage that strikes my fancy within the constraints of the immediate future.
Dan
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

As I choose the evening before my choice is based on planned activity, what I'm likely to be wearing and so on. This time of year factor number one tends to be strap or bracelet?
Mood on the day will just have to tag along!
Do I ever have a change of plan? Well maybe one day in sixty, not more than that.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

My watch for the day is selected the night before, to allow me to pick up and wear it in the morning.

No particular rhyme or reason other than, maybe, a nod to what I will be doing / wearing the following day.

Today is 'The Beast' to give it a full day's wear having sized the bracelet yesterday, to check it's comfortable.

An additional reason is that it's suitable for a visit to the Skoda main dealer I used to work for, and see a former colleague who kinda enjoys his watch, about changing my car. :wink: :wink:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England