Favourite Pairs of Hands

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Favourite Pairs of Hands

Post by iain »

What are your favourite hands? It could be for several reasons, the hands themselves or how they fit with the rest of the watch, their legibility, their finish, or even for no real reason in particular.

I’ll start with the IWC Aquatimer which is a watch I no longer own, hence the stock website render instead of an actual photo.

I owned this watch and sold it for a number of reasons, size, comfort, weight, lack of bracelet adjustment. But the hands were its best feature. Their size and legibility meant this was the most legible watch I have ever owned and probably will ever own. If IWC can solve the bracelet and add micro adjust I might be foolish enough to try again at some point.

IMG_1445.jpeg

Next are the IWC pilot watch hands. I love the shape of these and they are incredibly legible, just like the Aquatimer. What I prefer about mine is the fact they are outlined in Matt black. I’ve had too many lume filled polished hands and in many lights they disappear with only the lume showing. This turns an otherwise excellent looking hand into an ugly hard to read one. I’m looking at you Omega and your broad arrow hands here.

IMG_1444.jpeg

Finally a pair of hands I admit not liking when I first saw them. The Rolex Mercedes hands. What it is about these on my Explorer though isn’t the hands, it’s the finish on them. Many hands are completely flat or have a bevelled edge. However Rolex have polished these with a fantastic looking curve across the whole top of the hands. I’ve tried to capture this as best I can in my photo, hence the lighting which seems to hide the dial. It’s such a small detail you’ll probably never see unless you own the watch or have a very thorough look at one. It’s these small details that all add up to a top quality product in my mind. So much so that I now look at other watches and are disappointed that they don’t have this feature on them.

IMG_1443.jpeg

So over to you, what are your favourite watch hands and why?
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Rezn8r
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Favourite Pairs of Hands

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I started off thinking Albrecht Dűrer, Sergei Rachmaninov or Jacqueline du Pré, then I read the OP properly.

It’s fairly simple for me; I like hands that are easy to spot yet don’t draw attention to themselves per se. Elegant and preferably slim, good contrast with the dial whether lume is involved or not, no arrows, lollipops or other embellishments for preference. Sword, leaf, Dauphine, or simple bâtons.

These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 3):
iainGreatpotfarmRezn8r
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
wes123
Senior
Senior

Post by wes123 »

DSC09716.JPG
Although this is a watch I no longer own, I always really loved the Sword & Teardrop hands on it, they just were oozing with character!
These users thanked the author wes123 for the post (total 2):
iainGreatpotfarm
That thou art blamed shall not be thy defect,
For slander's mark was ever yet the fair;
William Shakespeare - Sonnet 70
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

My first set of CW hands. You just can't argue with the sheer acreage of lume 8)
IMG_3947.jpeg

My favourite dive hands - the original LLHD hands. Not much lume, but so visible and beautiful at the same time when the lught catches the SS.
IMG_0028.jpeg

Next up - AT hands. I passed by a lot of ATs for a long time because the hands didn't really appeal. I felt it looked unbalanced, as if an arrow had fallen off the hour hand. But one day i noticed that the minute and seconds hands were the one with arrows - and they're really the working end of a watch dial. Usually when i glance at my watch i know what hour of the day it is. What i want to pick out straight away is whether the second hand is ticking; and where we are with minutes past or to the hour. And these are the AT hands that draw your eyes . Both have slightly different arrows. It's a beautiful thing and to me it's highly functional too.
IMG_3846.jpeg

Finally, my GADA favourite, and i don't even know what they're officially called. These ones:

IMG_3893.jpeg
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
iainGreatpotfarm
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Dauphine hands are by far my favourite, and nobody does them better than the Japanese imo ...

If I had both a tiny face and fingers, I reckon I could shave with these.

photo courtesy of ScottishWatches
These users thanked the author StrappedUp for the post (total 3):
iainGreatpotfarmRezn8r
Ryan
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Has to be my new Planet Ocean hands. Love the broad arrows.
omega-seamaster-2200-50-00-1-pow-multiple-5.jpg

Runner up would be anything with military style sword hands like the classic MilSub.
bonhams-knightsbridge-sells-vintage-royal-navy-rolex-milsub-submariner-268000-usd-01.jpg
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
iain
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
MistaFroggyG
Guru
Guru

Favourite Pairs of Hands

Post by MistaFroggyG »

Mine are probably the Seiko 5 hands. I just love the arrow pointer hand, and the hour hand has lots of character

These users thanked the author MistaFroggyG for the post (total 2):
rkovarsiain
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

When I think about favourite hand sets I have difficulty in just thinking about the hands in isolation. For me it is important that they work with the indices, dial and overall style of the watch.

I have picked a few examples that I think suit the particular watches, but wouldn’t look correct if they appeared on the other watches.

Razor sharp, just like the indices, with the added bonus of a capped second hand.
C51A9CDF-CF6A-4CCE-A496-B9E01EFEF8B8.jpeg
Vintage style and in keeping with the shape of the indices, complete with a lollipop second hand.
32DC5067-A830-4EA9-9AB9-56B728E482F0.jpeg
Simple sculpted well finished hands that work with the simplicity of the indices. The shape of the hands is also complimentary to the sculpted case sides.
4FDB155E-439C-4203-872C-952B9575E239.jpeg
Two classic hands often seen on dressier watches from the brand, with a rather silly orange second hand that is complimented by the orange detail on the dial. The green crystal just adds to the overall weird look.
85B4661F-49F2-4E4C-9D2E-3CDEE8B516AF.jpeg
One of my favourite styles of handset. In this instance black outlines to the hands (and indices) gives great legibility. And I do like a nicely done GMT hand stack.
A261696C-BBB2-467A-9A51-0BA71ED8D353.jpeg
Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 3):
rkovarsiainGreatpotfarm
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

These are classic and beautifully finished. The way the tip bends at the end is a superb touch.
IMG_1728.jpeg
IMG_1727.jpeg
These users thanked the author Ttf23 for the post (total 3):
Gar787iainGreatpotfarm
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Has to be these, they’re just so well done. Beautiful syringe hands that look to be white enamelled. So well lumed with zero overspill. All three are elegant, but that chrono hand with its lume strip and hollowed counterbalance. 😍
IMG_0876.jpeg
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 3):
rkovarsiainGreatpotfarm
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

strapline wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:54 pm Has to be these, they’re just so well done. Beautiful syringe hands that look to be white enamelled. So well lumed with zero overspill. All three are elegant, but that chrono hand with its lume strip and hollowed counterbalance. 😍
IMG_0876.jpeg
Not to mention the arrow minute marker in the subdial! :thumbup:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
straplineiain
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Offered up in all seriousness…

IMG_9414.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 9):
Chris375rkovarsmissFajax87iainthomcat00asqwerthGreatpotfarmmagicman
Drew
downer

Favourite Pairs of Hands

Post by downer »

I think it would be these:

Although, as already mentioned, it is really the combination of dial, markers and hands that appeal.

Over the years, and with plenty of mistakes, I have discovered I don't really care for hands without lume. Function over form - every time, and the reason a few Grand Seiko watches have come and gone from my collection.
These users thanked the author downer for the post (total 5):
rkovarsChris375iainGreatpotfarmKansas City Milkman
Richard
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i totally wanted to go a completely inappropriate direction with an answer here. but discretion is the better part of valor.
These users thanked the author gwells for the post:
iain
the "g" is for Greg...
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

The heat blued leaf hands on my Montblanc calendar moonphase.

They are so pretty and refined. And the colour pops against the white dial under the right light (and angle).
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post (total 4):
iainstraplinewelshladGreatpotfarm
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen