Every collection *needs* a Seiko...

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Every collection *needs* a Seiko...

Post by missF »

I sort of half found myself thinking this today when I came across a seiko mod I liked the look of.

I used to own a Seiko SKX 013 - well, because everyone *needs* an SKX in their collection - it’s received WISdom...

So what watches do you own, or have you owned, simply because your collection needed them?

I’ve bought watches for these reasons:
My collection needs a Seiko diver
My collection needs a white dial watch
My collection needs a GODO watch
My collection needs a Timex
My collection needs a vintage watch

I’m being as honest with myself as I can here - these are watches that I bought simply because I convinced myself that a watch collection was incomplete without one. I consider myself a rookie collector still, though there are some green shoots of maturity!

:D
BeardoCI
Junior
Junior

Re: Every collection *needs* a Seiko...

Post by BeardoCI »

My metal G-Shock square definitely fits this.
It is an incredible piece though.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Jaeger LeCoulture. Maybe not for every collection, but mine defiantly NEEDS a JLC.
And just between us… :silent: I’m getting very close. :D
A clue might be found in my latest post to the dreamers thread. No hurry though, I’m trying my best to stick to my latest policy of one watch per year. Although I see no harm in bending the rule just a bit. After all, rules are meant to be broken. :lol:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

Apparently my collection NEEDS a GMT?

It’s why I bought this in 2020

27D5E383-9047-4A2B-8D3A-648699213D21.jpeg

And apparently I’ve not learned anything in the intervening years, because when I recently decided it was time to move it on, I needed to replace it with another GMT? Which is why I made this sale purchase?

31EF7185-7D1E-4AF4-9D64-C87D314AF5C9.jpeg
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I think I’ve made comments on my SOTC threads in reference to certain types of watches using phrases like “every collection needs a diver”

In reality I’ve only ever bought what I like and have never bought anything because I felt I needed it.

There is a difference between buying because you think you need one, and buying it because you wanted it and then saying it’s because you needed it. Whether to try to justify to yourself and possibly others doesn’t matter but as long as you are honest with yourself there isn’t a problem. I’ve only ever said such comments tongue in cheek.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

I guess "everyone has a diver so I should see what the fuss is about" before buying three counts for this.

I also "know" from reading that every collection should have a GMT, a day/date and a white dial but I have no use for a GMT, I've worked nights briefly and have no intention of doing so again and I'm not old enough to forget what day it is and white dials are always standard while I gravitate towards watches with an interesting feature (LE, tritium, ceramic case...) so I'm happy to ignore these "rules".

If anything I feel as a bit of a CW fanboy there should be an SH21 in my collection but that's an itch I can't afford to scratch.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

suicidal_orange wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:32 pm If anything I feel as a bit of a CW fanboy there should be an SH21 in my collection but that's an itch I can't afford to scratch.
I fully agree with this statement!

As my collection is small, and my buying habits smaller, I don’t know that I’ve ever been driven by the “every collection needs a…” idea. That being said, I know that early on I definitely told myself I needed a diver, a chronograph, a pilot watch, and a dress watch. Thankfully, numerous constraints kept me from ever following through.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
suicidal_orange
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I was halfway down this cunicular dwarrowdelf a couple of years or so into my collecting. Advancing age and cynicism have teamed up to convince me that it is a load of Vieux Cordonniers…Old Cobblers. In truth, I acquired all my watches because I wanted them and liked them, not because I regarded them as the sine qua non of “Ye Compleat Watche Collectioun”.

Apparently, according to the smiley, whiney-voiced and impeccably groomed denizens of YootTube and their variously literate wordsmith counterparts, I have two of the ten watches you need in any collection. Serendipity, not design.

I do like my GMTs, but have yet to use them in anger by going beyond The Levant, the Maghreb or the Fortunate Isles.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Nobody really needs any watch type or brand but I’ve personally always owned a Seiko. Before I ever developed the strange idea that you could have a watch ‘collection’ there was always a Seiko knocking about. In fact to me Seiko is probably one of the brands that most defines the modern wrist watch.

There have been many over the last 30+ years and this is my latest:

I tend to only have one or two at a time; although this discipline is weakening over some of their latest Prospex and GMT announcements.
These users thanked the author timor54 for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
Tim
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

I bought what I liked and these did include several Seikos. My collection is almost exclusively divers as I have no need for dress/motorsport watches (and don't really like these styles anyway)
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

neilj568 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:17 pm (and don't really like these styles anyway)
Does my collection need a chronograph?

I don’t really like the style. Don’t really need a tachymeter bezel. Would likely find it a bit thick or top-heavy.
But I’d love a wobbler just to enjoy the wobble! :lol:
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

My collection needs a....
Nautilus
And a
Royal Oak :lol: :escape:
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

^^^

:lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
kiter65
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

I've never owned a Seiko... :escape:
Or a GMT... :escape: :escape:

I did want an SKX007 but by the time I'd discovered them and decided that, they were no longer being made and the ones available had such a premium on them I decided I didn't want them anymore.

I get that chronographs aren't for everyone but I guess a watch with a timer of some sort has been needed in my collection for work.

But I'm also a small collection person as I'm really stingy with myself and so criteria for a purchase are rather strict!
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

iain wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:23 pm In reality I’ve only ever bought what I like and have never bought anything because I felt I needed it.
same. also, i'm not much bothered by what people think should be in a collection or not. i don't own a chrono and don't feel like i'm missing anything.

now, i've made efforts not to overlap too much if i can avoid it (although i do have three white dialed divers and the white dialed AT, along with a could of white or off white dress watches, so i'm generally avoiding white dials now). my wife, of course, would say there's way more overlap that just that. she doesn't see subtle differences the way i do.

(and yes, i also have two seiko divers (and one of those is white dialed))
the "g" is for Greg...