14%

Total votes: 14

missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Does my wrist look big in this?? Poll!

Post by missF »

Should I reconsider wearing 36mm watches??
My wrist size is 17cm but I’d like you to consider what you know about me and the type of watches I like to wear. Consider also that my almost daily wear now has a 39mm diameter. Could I swap to a 36mm watch without trauma??

Photo of a 35mm pretty thick watch for you to consider:
FEF3900E-9663-419E-BC0D-C741049EFA76.jpeg
Please note - 18mm straps really don’t feel beefy enough...
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Does my wrist look big in this?? Poll!

Post by JAFO »

I don't quite understand the poll, but I voted yes I think the watch looks fine on your wrist, but once you become accustomed to 39mm watches, I expect any 36mm watch will look small until you get used to it again. If you have 9 large watches, and 1 small watch, you will probably not wear it enough to get used to the small size

What size is your new IWC, which wears very well on your wrist.

The only really small watch I have is my Omega Geneve which is only 34mm. I've had it for nearly 50 years. I hardly ever wear it as it needs a service, but it never seems small when I do wear it. This strap is an 18mm CW Cordovan, which maybe puts it into context.
IMG_20230524_125935321_HDR~2.jpg
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
rkovars
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

JAFO wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:04 pm
What size is your new IWC, which wears very well on your wrist.
It’s the IWC that’s 39mm. I agree that it fits almost perfectly, but then other dimensions have an influence on that good fit too.

I think it’s a good point that if my other watches are bigger, the one small watch in the box might get less wear :thumbup:
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

The 35mm in the pic looks good! I say there are no sizes out of play for anyone, Except for what you deem your personal preference; which can certainly change over time.

That 35mm looks like it would wear small even for 35mm, because the case steps in and the bezel is thicker, making the dial even smaller. I've also found that small diameter watches do NOT do well for me if they are also thick. Part of the reason I sold my 38mm C60GMT, but love my 36mm C63. My 42mm C60 Abyss does fine because the thickness to diameter ratio is more even.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 2):
missFrkovars
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Well I haven’t too much changed my convictions but I could express it less resolutely - if a watch was available to pursue in both 36mm and 38mm sizes I’d choose the 38mm :lol:

The Oris 7501 on the wrist today is still in sales corner, though I have never tried it on this strap before and I think it looks pretty fine.
The 7500 - same dial - comes in at 41mm, and I think with that depth would be too big and chunky. That’s a shame because there’s a white version and that could have been me done for watch shopping :D
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

It sounds like you’ve found your happy place size wise. For me it’s 40-43mm and I know if I go outside if this I tend to think a watch looks too big/small, to my eyes at least.

I could start wearing watches outside this range and I’m sure I’d get used to them and wouldn’t mind wearing them. But I like to swap between watches and don’t want to have to wear a watch for a few days to get used to it again.

If you are have found a size you like and are comfortable with then I’d say stick with that and don’t worry about forcing yourself to like a watch.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
missF
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

I vote yes!

The 36 looks like a great fit, and so does the larger ICW.
Large, small, square, round, tall, thin... they all fit, depending on your mood.
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post:
rkovars
Dan
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Greatpotfarm wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:37 pm they all fit, depending on your mood.
Well that’s a good way to look at it too :thumbup:

I’ve swapped to this one now, and it definitely feels more like ‘me’.
59CF2804-C171-4F81-8ECC-4C1CCCD95EFE.jpeg

But the difference in colour seems to make a difference too - for a white dial with a slim bezel I think I’d at least consider a 36mm
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
rkovars
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

The human brain can easily get 'grooved' by what it sees. I see this phenomenon in myself constantly. For instance my 1675 GMT Master has almost identical dimensions to a BB58 but when I try on the Tudor my brain screams that is so tiny! The GMT Master looks fine. In reality they probably both look the same and if I had the opportunity to overcome by ingrained bias I would come to see it.

I think variety is the key, at least for me, and there is no 'one size' even for a given individual. There is so much that goes into the visual presentation of a watch and they all have to work in concert. As @ajax87 points out one thing out of whack will throw the whole thing off. I have everything from 35 mm up to about 46 mm. I think that they all look right to me.

Wrist size also plays a part somewhat. Wrist shape not just the size also makes a difference. People with rounder wrists will likely find a more compact LtoL more appealing to the eye. But even then, if it looks right to you then it is right. Regardless of what other people might think.

46 mm
20210127_212225441_iOS (2).jpg

45mm
20201029_150452536_iOS (2).jpg

41mm
20220929_153035108_iOS.jpg

40mm
20220909_204506203_iOS.jpg

39mm
20200707_111030238_iOS (2).jpg
39mm
20220804_150100099_iOS.jpg

35mm
20200602_122455809_iOS.jpg
Well that is a few more than I anticipated putting on here! :lol: Sorry for the partial SOTC derailment of the thread! But I hope that it illustrates the point.

My wrist is right about 7.5 in (19 cm) which helps open up the larger options. I think it is easier for a watch to look too big than it is for a watch to look too small in most circumstances.

I think strap choice can make a difference too. For a smaller watch, you want the strap to 'get out of the way' and emphasize the watch head to bring the focus there. For larger watches you need the strap to balance out the size of the watch. This isn't always easy. The lunar pilot for example has really narrow lugs for the width and LtoL measurement. This makes it harder to get more balance from the strap because they look narrow compared to the watch (at least to me).
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

^^^ that’s a brilliant demonstration @rkovars - thanks!

All good points in this thread. Strap selection definitely makes a difference to the appearance of a watch on the wrist.