Do you do NY resolutions?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Do you do NY resolutions?

Post by strapline »

Well do you? And if you do, what will you be revving yourself up to start in a little over 15hrs from now?

Personally I don't, although I have vowed to try and be a little more disciplined about writing a few journal entries in a lovely journal I have on my desk, which largely sits redundant. No exercise regimes, no diets, no increased step counts.

Des

Happy new year to all of you btw.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
jkbarnes
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Do you do NY resolutions?

Post by TheBeatles »

Not really for me, Des. But as I’ve mentioned elsewhere I’m going to have a punt at Dry January.

Not a huge drinker by any means but I do like a JD and a single malt. (that’s not a cocktail, By the way!)

Especially about 4pm. Strangely enough, I rarely drink in the evening.

So we’ll see how I get on!

Happy New Year to all
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I have said this before.... I am not a huge fan of new year resolutions. My usual vow is not to look back on the past year as the "good old days". :)

That said, I prefer to look back at the progress I have (hopefully) made with the ever constant "to do list".
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I MUST await the arrival of FLE2023
I MUST await the launch of the 2024 Hero CW watch (is "hero" the right thing?
I MUST not buy any other brands
I MUST be firm about downsizing the CW and Omega collections
I MUST uphold this resolution for at least er six weeks?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

No real resolutions here, either. Just get on and enjoy life to the best possible in a positive way.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
strapline
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I don't do "New year" resolutions as such, but it's a good time of year to reflect and plan targets for the year. More seasonal though - like painting the fence in Spring, spending a few hours a week (on dry days) working on my Land Rover. painting the kitchen on a nice day (light enough to see what I'm doing properly and vent the room). That sort of thing.

Both myself and my wife have gone down with some unpleasant lurgy in the last couple of days, so no immediate plans. I expect that you'e all enjoy the "New Year" celebrations more than we do. All the best everyone.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

I once made a New Year’s resolution not to make any New Year’s resolutions and it’s the only one I’ve ever managed to keep.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Re my OP, the cover page of my journal. It's kinda noncommittal, casual. NO PRESSURE. :lol:
tempImageTJElGN.gif
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 3):
Chris375jkbarnesmissF
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:52 pm No real resolutions here, either. Just get on and enjoy life to the best possible in a positive way.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk
This has always been my mantra, Guy. Life is a simple thing really, only as complicated as you choose to make it.

Des
Bahnstormer_vRS
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Turn the TV on far less, open a book far more, and listen to a lot more music.

I’m debating the need to make this more specific with hours per week so it’s a bit more tangible. Something’s got to change in the Stanley house this year.
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:43 pm Turn the TV on far less, open a book far more…….

Small steps Drew, you could start by reading the TV guide.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

No resolutions for me, but man - I have a big feeling of new stuff on the brew as we turn into next year.
I’ll share a quote that’s illustrating that sense of change for me right now:

You’re not obliged to be the person you were five minutes ago
Alan Watts

This year I was formally diagnosed autistic, and ADHD. To reach fifty having never known yourself (having hidden it all away in dissociation and confusion and exhaustion to try to ‘fit in’), and then trying to make sense of the lost years of mental illness, inability to contribute; well - there’s a lot of grief to go through. This year has been a flipping existential tsunami, and I’m lying on the beach now surrounded by debris but breathing fresh air for the first time in my life….

Why am I telling you this?
1. Oversharing can be an autistic trait (you know me for over sharing- I’ve been doing it for a long time! :lol: )
2. I finally understand the watchie thing - special intense interests are an autistic thing - especially unusual interests. Now being a watchie isn’t that unusual, but being a woman in the watchie world still deep diving after ten years is a little bit out the ordinary :lol: But here’s the thing - the flipping I’ve been doing this past few years relates far more to my ADHD brain that craves novelty, change and shiny new things for dopamine hits. The combination of the two things can totally explain my conflicting needs to (a) find the one watch to wear anll the time (a very autistic pursuit), and (b) own ALL the watches! :lol:
3. This is important - I’ve always been very open here about mental health stuff. It’s nothing to do with self-aggrandisement or anything like that, and I’m not having a pity party. It’s just me saying that if anyone‘s struggling with anything and they don’t have anyone they can talk to - well, you can PM me any time. We’re all in privileged positions to be able to own watches but that doesn’t mean we don’t struggle here there and everywhere else.

So - I definitely don’t want to derail the thread. Just PM me if you want to say ‘wow - so that’s why you’re a bit weird’… (I fully claim the word weird- you may use it formally now in reference to me :lol: ); or even ‘everybody thinks they’re autistic nowadays’ or even ‘we’re all a bit autistic’…. Happy to have those chats too if anyone’s interested.

2024 I’m building me some good energies. :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 12):
gannetChris GBBahnstormer_vRSmagicmankiter65straplineKipiainjkbarnestimor54 and 2 more users
Chris GB
Senior
Senior

Post by Chris GB »

Hmm, possibly a repeat of last year's one for me. Cut the working week to 5 days. I did manage to get to that last year. For maybe 6 weeks.
C63 Sealander - Hunter Green. Twelve Ti -Purple. C65 Aquitaine - Seagrass Green. On order: C63 SH21 Blue Marine (delayed 4 months plus 3 months. So far). C1 Bel Canto - Voila (delayed). Waiting. Endless waiting.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

I have to, lose weight, get fit, get organised, finish tasks to completion.
None of which are difficult to achieve for me, with the exception of the final one, which can negate the effectiveness of the first three.

But the first three are priorities, from tomorrow.

Regards Steve
Selling
CW C8 Revival

CW 12 Glacier Blue
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

missF wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:00 pm No resolutions for me, but man - I have a big feeling of new stuff on the brew as we turn into next year.
I’ll share a quote that’s illustrating that sense of change for me right now:

You’re not obliged to be the person you were five minutes ago
Alan Watts

This year I was formally diagnosed autistic, and ADHD. To reach fifty having never known yourself (having hidden it all away in dissociation and confusion and exhaustion to try to ‘fit in’), and then trying to make sense of the lost years of mental illness, inability to contribute; well - there’s a lot of grief to go through. This year has been a flipping existential tsunami, and I’m lying on the beach now surrounded by debris but breathing fresh air for the first time in my life….

Why am I telling you this?
1. Oversharing can be an autistic trait (you know me for over sharing- I’ve been doing it for a long time! :lol: )
2. I finally understand the watchie thing - special intense interests are an autistic thing - especially unusual interests. Now being a watchie isn’t that unusual, but being a woman in the watchie world still deep diving after ten years is a little bit out the ordinary :lol: But here’s the thing - the flipping I’ve been doing this past few years relates far more to my ADHD brain that craves novelty, change and shiny new things for dopamine hits. The combination of the two things can totally explain my conflicting needs to (a) find the one watch to wear anll the time (a very autistic pursuit), and (b) own ALL the watches! :lol:
3. This is important - I’ve always been very open here about mental health stuff. It’s nothing to do with self-aggrandisement or anything like that, and I’m not having a pity party. It’s just me saying that if anyone‘s struggling with anything and they don’t have anyone they can talk to - well, you can PM me any time. We’re all in privileged positions to be able to own watches but that doesn’t mean we don’t struggle here there and everywhere else.

So - I definitely don’t want to derail the thread. Just PM me if you want to say ‘wow - so that’s why you’re a bit weird’… (I fully claim the word weird- you may use it formally now in reference to me :lol: ); or even ‘everybody thinks they’re autistic nowadays’ or even ‘we’re all a bit autistic’…. Happy to have those chats too if anyone’s interested.

2024 I’m building me some good energies. :D
Wow Lindsey, this is quite something and really worthy of a thread in its own right. Are you lying on a real beach right now or is that a metaphorical beach? Your reply was very candid and honest which may be part of the whole process of you finally recognising who you are. I think there has probably never been more pressure on people to conform to a so-called normal trope, when what is normal after all? I like people and things that are a little different, different is good. I wish you the very best for the coming year, this forum wouldn't be the same place without your energies. Based on compulsive watch buying habits alone, I think probably 90% of this forum is on the spectrum.

Des
missF