41%

Total votes: 22

stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Do I need a diver?

Post by stefs »

If you do need a dive watch Lindsey the answer is simple....You buy an apple watch ultra :D
That way you get genuinely useful dive watch capabilities (depth, time, water temeprature)
As a bonus you also get a chronograph and a countdown timer.
and a bel canto stylie hourly chime
and a Patek Phillip stylie perpetual calendar
and a memovox stylie alarm
And a charming moonphase watch
and.......

I'll get my coat :escape:
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
thomcat00
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

It's a watch forum.

Of course you need a dive watch!
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesmissF
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I voted no. :)

Thinking this through…

I had been wearing watches daily for about 33 years before I bought my first dive watch. I quite happily spent regular time in the water, wearing a normal watch. I didn’t need a dive watch, as I was not a diver. It never occurred to me in the slightest to buy a dive watch. :)

I joined a watch forum and within a month I had bought a couple of dive watches! :problem:

Why? Well I was clearly swept along by the whole watch forum mentality and in reality I still didn’t need a dive watch. :lol:

It then got worse…

I bought a G-Shock, because the herd mentality of watch forums swept me along. And no I really didn’t need a G-Shock either. :shock:

I am equally likely to wear a normal 100m WR watch swimming as I am a dive watch.

If I started collecting again I would likely only buy two of the dive watches that I currently own. Neither would be purchased because they are dive watches. Both would be purchased because they are watches that I really like.

So if you see a watch that you really like and it happens to be a dive watch, buy it. Not because it is a dive watch, but just because it is a watch you really like and think that you will regularly wear. Simples. :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

I've found that the typical diver bezel to be very useful for me..i.e. walking the dogs, grilling, etc...I also really, really, like the look..having said that, you're very much welcome to ship me out your blue dial Oris Divers 65!!.. 8)
These users thanked the author Thunder1 for the post (total 2):
missFrkovars
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

stefs wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:28 am If you do need a dive watch Lindsey the answer is simple....You buy an apple watch ultra :D
That way you get genuinely useful dive watch capabilities (depth, time, water temeprature)
As a bonus you also get a chronograph and a countdown timer.
and a bel canto stylie hourly chime
and a Patek Phillip stylie perpetual calendar
and a memovox stylie alarm
And a charming moonphase watch
and.......

I'll get my coat :escape:
You actually win! :lol: :clap:
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:10 pm
I joined a watch forum and within a month I had bought a couple of dive watches! :problem:
Haha! This was a big reason for posing this question because when I joined the forum I was wearing the C11msl . And I think i was fairly clear that I wasn’t interested in dive watches. I think I held out for a fairly long time before I bought a diver and that was a seiko SKX 013 from Guy. I was pretty proud of myself in watchie terms for choosing a bit of an icon.

I’ve only owned ‘a few’ divers over the years but they’ve been really great ones in my eyes. Two oris and the CW sharky white currently. But since my collection is deliberately being dwindled I may end up selling all of them leaving space for one diver. I guess this might be my next ten year quest :lol: :shock:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
nbgBahnstormer_vRS
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Thunder1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:27 pm I've found that the typical diver bezel to be very useful for me..i.e. walking the dogs, grilling, etc...I also really, really, like the look..having said that, you're very much welcome to ship me out your blue dial Oris Divers 65!!.. 8)
Let’s make it happen :D I’ll be delighted to know that it’s going to a home where it can take care of walking dogs and grilling 8)
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Thunder1
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:58 am
missF wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:42 am Haha! I was going to say that owning a dive watch was like owning a little black dress - I clearly got the idea from you! :D
It’s a phrase I’ve overused a lot!
  • Diver watch: LBD of watches
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What? Wait!

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that Ebels are like the little black dress……..
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
rkovarsjkbarnesmissF
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.