41%

Total votes: 22

kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Do I need a diver?

Post by kiter65 »

rkovars wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:07 pm Of course I voted yes. If you asked for myself I would say three or four :lol:

As an aside, I had two UDT divers in a class I was teaching this summer. Coincidentally they didn't know each other but they knew people in common. They said that they rarely used computers because the algorithms that are commercially available are far too conservative for military use and often they were diving in conditions where the computers were useless. One of the gents said that he had to remove ordinance once from a plane that crashed in an alpine lake located at 10,000 feet. There were aspects of the dive that were classified so he couldn't get into specifics but he said a computer wouldn't help. So, I think the old saw that no one needs a dive watch should be amended to no recreational diver needs a dive watch :lol:
Or how the hell am I going to time my cooking :? Set loads of timers? Work it out on a chronograph?
No just rotate the bezel to the time it needs to come out of the oven :thumbup: :lol:
These users thanked the author kiter65 for the post:
rkovars
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

kiter65 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:18 pm
rkovars wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:07 pm Of course I voted yes. If you asked for myself I would say three or four :lol:

As an aside, I had two UDT divers in a class I was teaching this summer. Coincidentally they didn't know each other but they knew people in common. They said that they rarely used computers because the algorithms that are commercially available are far too conservative for military use and often they were diving in conditions where the computers were useless. One of the gents said that he had to remove ordinance once from a plane that crashed in an alpine lake located at 10,000 feet. There were aspects of the dive that were classified so he couldn't get into specifics but he said a computer wouldn't help. So, I think the old saw that no one needs a dive watch should be amended to no recreational diver needs a dive watch :lol:
Or how the hell am I going to time my cooking :? Set loads of timers? Work it out on a chronograph?
No just rotate the bezel to the time it needs to come out of the oven :thumbup: :lol:
I just watched an old review by Tim Mosso from 2021 where he was looking at a diver and said that the bezel on a diver was more convenient as a timing device than a chronograph. I agree as well. It might not be as precise of a timer but it is a heck of a lot easier to use and chronographs with 60 minute timers are a lot rarer than 30.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
kiter65
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I think it's been said: you buy a diver 'cos you want to buy a diver. Also it's useful for timing yourself having a cold shower or when washing the breakfast dishes!
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 2):
missFkiter65
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

missF wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:56 pm That’s a good point. I don’t want need or even quite fancy having a chronograph in my collection. I don’t want or need ten divers. But I do think I like divers enough to have one - even in a collection that’s getting smaller :thumbup:
then i say go for it. the most important thing is to find what makes you happy.
the "g" is for Greg...
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

A diver is the “little black dress” or the “medium grey suit” of the watch world - a basic staple that everyone needs in their collection, so of course you need a diver!

While I believe what I wrote above, the reality is simply do you like divers? If you do, then yeah, you need a diver. If they don’t particularly do it for you, then you don’t.
Drew
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

As a watch collector my wants and needs may be different than the average non watch collector who simply wants one or two GADA type watches that look great in any situation. I personally want to collect different types of watches even though I may not need them for their intended use. That includes a diver even though I don't dive. You never know when that 200 meters of water resistance will come in handy doing the dishes or washing the car :)

Here is a video that gives an interesting opinion on GADA watches and watch collectors. It is a review of the Tudor Black Bay 39, which he really likes, but starting at about 5:30 he explains his opinion that he will probably not keep it because it is a GADA watch and tries to be all things for all occasions. I had never really thought of GADA watches in that way before, and I think a lot of watch collectors will agree with a lot of what he said.

Watchcrunch - The Best 2023 TUDOR Nobody is Talking About
https://youtu.be/ZFhnB7x9KRI?si=xIs-AsLIc6OnJ2U2
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Inline vid

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:08 pm A diver is the “little black dress” or the “medium grey suit” of the watch world - a basic staple that everyone needs in their collection, so of course you need a diver!

While I believe what I wrote above, the reality is simply do you like divers? If you do, then yeah, you need a diver. If they don’t particularly do it for you, then you don’t.
Haha! I was going to say that owning a dive watch was like owning a little black dress - I clearly got the idea from you! :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:42 am Haha! I was going to say that owning a dive watch was like owning a little black dress - I clearly got the idea from you! :D
It’s a phrase I’ve overused a lot!
  • Vintage oak camel strap: LBD of straps
  • Diver watch: LBD of watches
  • Steel grey NATO: LBD of NATOs
  • CWOTD post: LBD of forum posts

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Drew
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

rkovars wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:34 pm Inline vid

How do you post a video inline rather than as a link?
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:58 am
It’s a phrase I’ve overused a lot!
  • Vintage oak camel strap: LBD of straps
  • Diver watch: LBD of watches
  • Steel grey NATO: LBD of NATOs
  • CWOTD post: LBD of forum posts

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn’t realise you had used the phrase so often :lol:
I really like your thinking and I think it’s well applied here. We maybe have similar little black dresses in our wardrobes :lol:
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

mvlow wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:41 pm Watchcrunch - The Best 2023 TUDOR Nobody is Talking About
Thanks - I’m really glad I saw this. I’ve never seen this guy before and I don’t follow any reviewers but I’m following him now. I love what he has to say about GADA watches. He seems very nuanced in what he thinks about things in general. In part though, I do think there’s plenty space within the GADA remit for plenty of different and interesting watches- and this is because for me GADA covers a pretty varied bunch of watches that just don’t have another designation. They’re not chronographs, they’re not divers, they’re not dress watches, they’re ‘just watches’. I see my particular version of the AT as ‘just a watch’ or ‘just my perfect white dial bracelet watch’ way more than I think of it as a GADA watch.
I also think so much depends on how many watches you have. This thread has firmed up my thinking- I do love dive watches - enough to have one in my collection.
Hmmm. It would probably take a ten year journey to find the ultimate one for me… :lol: :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
mvlow
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Needs ≠ wants

I don’t dive, I take my watch off to shower or wash dishes, I don’t enjoy bulky watches. Yet I own some divers. I’ll wear them just because. I’ll wear them boating.

I need dress watches _because_ I want dress watches. See the difference? :p

Sign me: rationalizing the illogical since 1968.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 2):
watchaholicrkovars
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

thomcat00 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:15 am Needs ≠ wants

I don’t dive, I take my watch off to shower or wash dishes, I don’t enjoy bulky watches. Yet I own some divers. I’ll wear them just because. I’ll wear them boating.

I need dress watches _because_ I want dress watches. See the difference? :p

Sign me: rationalizing the illogical since 1968.
Very succinctly put :D
And no - I didn’t pose this question looking for (or expecting ) a rational response :lol:

BTW it might be irrational to own a 600m diver that you take off to do the dishes, but non-rational is a whole different part of the world that I think isn’t explored enough :D
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Of course, you need a Dive watch in your collection, Lindsey.

Not because you'll use it to go diving but, just because . . . :wink: :wink:

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
missF
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England