Dining Recommendations in the Paddington Station area?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Dining Recommendations in the Paddington Station area?

Post by jkbarnes »

For our two nights in London, the Mrs. and I are staying at a Premier Inn near Paddington Station. Any recommendations for casual dining in that area? Recommended pubs? How about good places for coffee? Weaker walkers, so it need not be the immediate area.

And we’re certainly up for recommendations for places further afield.

Thanks!
Drew
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Dining Recommendations in the Paddington Station area?

Post by golfjunky »

If you can get into Scalini’s it’s fantastic.
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
jkbarnes
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

This is not an easy task, Drew, as I don't specifically know the eateries in the area surrounding Paddington and, should one do a search on Google Maps the possibilities are endless. However . .
.. . .a couple of pointers.

1. If you head West from Paddington to the area of Bayswater and specifically (the road) Queensway there are a number of excellent Chinese Restaurants popular with local and visiting Chinese. Some years ago I was treated to lunch there by a visiting Hong Kong Chinese Client.

2. Alternatively, for Chinese food, head to China Town, near Leicester Square where I can recommend Shanghai Modern having eaten there myself last year; plenty of Chinese patrons.

3. If you head East from Paddington to the Edgware Road that runs North West from Marble Arch, this is a Mecca for Middle Eastern / Arab cuisine.

Coffee? I'm sure if you walk around you'll find numerous Independent Coffee shops / cafes, as well as the usual Starbucks, Costa et al.

I hope this helps.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
jkbarnes
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

If you want a decent breakfast, The Breakfast Club have a few locations. The closest to you is Berwick Street, so you'd have to get a cab or tube.

There's normally a queue, but it's well worth it.

https://thebreakfastclubcafes.com/on-berwick/
These users thanked the author Trs1982 for the post:
jtc
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

Although Paddington is my landing point when visiting London, I don't know a huge amount amount eating in the area as I'm usually heading elsewhere. However, there are a couple of nice options in Paddington Basin; Pearl Liang offers Chinese food with more sophistication than you'll find in China Town and Massis, a perfectly decent Lebanese restaurant that I visited when the trains home were proving difficult. The Basin itself is a nice area tucked behind the station and there are plenty of other outlets including the Cheese Barge that I probably don't need to go into further detail on.

For coffee, I can only make one recommendation: Harrisons Coffee in Spring Street. It's a lovely little independent which I used to frequent before they upped and moved to Paddington.

You're not going to be short of choice, and I can recommend using websites like The Fork which will allow you to put in your location and cuisine choice and will show you available options with tables.

Oh, and beware the Angus Steakhouse.
These users thanked the author biggus_richus for the post:
jkbarnes
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

+1 for The Breakfast Club (so long as you don't mind waiting in line to get a table!).

I like the look of https://www.thegentlemenbaristas.com/ for coffee though I've never been to one!
These users thanked the author RichM for the post:
jkbarnes
GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

If you fancy a good pub meal - head to The Larrik in Crawford Place (W1H 5NN). Cracking, well priced gastro food all cooked fresh.

Or try Briciole https://briciole.co.uk/ for an authentic Italian with a deli attached.

There's plenty around the area, go down side streets to find the real independent gems!
These users thanked the author GrahamB for the post:
jkbarnes
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Another +1 for the breakfast club. Always a must visit if I'm staying over and have the time!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

Been lurking and just seen this!
Disjoin in Kensington is great and a quick ten minute hop on the district line from Paddington.
I don’t know many places directly at Paddington to eat but when in West London tend to look around Ealing or Kensington. Lots of options in both and easy to get to.
I’m staying in Ealing tonight actually!
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

Also, for pubs surely you should head to The Mayflower in Rotherhithe after previous threads on here? ;) It’s relatively easy to get to on the tube. Sadly I am engaged elsewhere in london tomorrow night or is show you around!
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Not sure if there are any near Paddington, but Blacklock & FlatIron are great places to eat chops and steaks at a reasonable price. Blacklock does a roast menu on Sundays, which is great if that’s what you’re after, though I think the à la carte is better (not available on Sundays however).

Otherwise, as Guy @Bahnstormer_vRS says Queensway and China Town are good choices for Chinese food - Four Seasons has amazing Chinese barbecue and roast duck, with branches in both spots. I’ve recommended the Gerrard Street location to my son, who is heading into the Smoke for a rare visit, and he wants to take the opportunity for a great feed.

One other Asian recommendation - Vietnamese food is plentiful in Kingsland Road, but my favourite is the Bang Bang Canteen near(ish) to Kings Cross / Russell Square.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSjkbarnes
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

0uatiOW wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:17 am Not sure if there are any near Paddington, but Blacklock & FlatIron are great places to eat chops and steaks at a reasonable price. Blacklock does a roast menu on Sundays, which is great if that’s what you’re after, though I think the à la carte is better (not available on Sundays however).

Otherwise, as Guy @Bahnstormer_vRS says Queensway and China Town are good choices for Chinese food - Four Seasons has amazing Chinese barbecue and roast duck, with branches in both spots. I’ve recommended the Gerrard Street location to my son, who is heading into the Smoke for a rare visit, and he wants to take the opportunity for a great feed.

One other Asian recommendation - Vietnamese food is plentiful in Kingsland Road, but my favourite is the Bang Bang Canteen near(ish) to Kings Cross / Russell Square.
Blacklock is truly special (any day of the week but particularly Sunday!) - just make sure you book a table in advance, walk-ins are notoriously difficult! And go for the "All In Chops".....
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

GrahamB wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:53 am If you fancy a good pub meal - head to The Larrik in Crawford Place (W1H 5NN). Cracking, well priced gastro food all cooked fresh.

Or try Briciole https://briciole.co.uk/ for an authentic Italian with a deli attached.

There's plenty around the area, go down side streets to find the real independent gems!
Just looked The Larrik up. That’s quite close to where we’ll be, and the menu looks great. The website had a link for booking a table. Does that mean no walk ins. Think we’d need to book in advance for a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday evening?
Drew
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

The Larrick looks great! Their booking policy states they keep some space for walk-in customers (that's dated May '21 though) but I'd book in advance just to be sure.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Hows the trip going so far?
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
jkbarnes
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.