Digging the escape tunnel

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Digging the escape tunnel

Post by Dickchins »

Spooky that this thread has popped up as this is exactly where im at. Unfortunately for tragic circumstances, however hearing your little one is well Ryan, is mega news.

Life is life unfortunately and things happen, but when they do it kinda puts lots of things in to perspective. Watches are high up that list for me. As such, I have a small list of 4 watches I want. Two currently live on this here forum, as I sold them and now regret it, as I really miss them! The other two are cw's im yet to buy. (A certain Breitling and Zero West are my sale regrets. Just reminding you guys...!!!!)

My Rolex is listed for sale... :-" which is one I thought id keep, but as has been said above, having that much money tied up in a watch just cant be justified anymore when life experiences mean more to me.
In the next week ish I plan on listing a couple of cw's as although I love them, I know deep down I probably wont miss them.

Id say focus on where you want that tunnel to pop out at the other end and dont let anything cave it in! Thats my plan and im sticking to it!!!

Good luck folks!!!!!
These users thanked the author Dickchins for the post (total 3):
iainNigelSGar787
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I thought I’d come back and share my latest developments on my journey out of the escape tunnel. To be honest I’d already made up my mind when I first posted, but was curious to read about how others had been through a similar thought process.

I’ve decided not to put anymore money into watches, that’s a given and I’m happy being in that place and frame of mind. What that means though is I’m wanting each watch in the box the be there for a long time, I don’t want to be thinking in a couple of years about trading one and needing to inject more money to get what I want. I’d really like the music to stop and all watches to be on their seat in the collection now.

I am happy to retain all my watches if I can see them being here for the long term, so some watches such as my Bremont and CWs will stay as they all meet my requirements when it comes to watches. I will though reconsider this at a later date, certainly with the Bremont.

The IWC and EP are always here, nothing more to say on that.

Which just leaves the two big IWCs, these are watches I like but they do have their flaws which annoy me a little, mainly down to their size, weight and comfort. So these have both gone, I’ve arranged a trade of two for one with a little money back as well. The incoming is nicely sized, wears well and is a pretty classic style that will look and wear well for years to come, it also more than ticks my legibility box. If the Bremont and the CWs go at some point down the line I’ll be content with a nice three watch collection, if they stay I’ll be at a maximum of six which isn’t that excessive.

Tunnel dug, escape complete. Nearly.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 5):
StrappedUpmissFDickchinsnbgGar787
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

StrappedUp wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:11 pm
However, earlier this year, my young Daughter suddenly became gravely ill and required emergency surgery to save her life. Thankfully she is now back stronger than ever, and I'm eternally grateful to the wonderful NHS staff that cared for her.
More recently, we tragically lost my Father-in-law on our family holiday abroad, something nobody expects to happen when you should all be having the time of your lives.
As you can imagine, the last couple of months have been a rollercoaster to say the least and has had me reflecting on what's truly important.
While I will still enjoy owning/wearing watches, I've decided that there will be no more expensive purchases for the foreseeable.
And having significant money tied up in watches suddenly just doesn't add up for me, so I've decided to sell my EP and BB58, buy a few "cheapies" and enjoy the leftover cash on more family trips/hols.
Sorry to read this Ryan but great news that your daughter made a full recovery. As you say, anything more than one (well, maybe two or three!) reliable watch for timekeeping purposes could be viewed as a self-indulgent luxury.
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
StrappedUp
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

iain wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:55 am I thought I’d come back and share my latest developments on my journey out of the escape tunnel. To be honest I’d already made up my mind when I first posted, but was curious to read about how others had been through a similar thought process.

I’ve decided not to put anymore money into watches, that’s a given and I’m happy being in that place and frame of mind. What that means though is I’m wanting each watch in the box the be there for a long time, I don’t want to be thinking in a couple of years about trading one and needing to inject more money to get what I want. I’d really like the music to stop and all watches to be on their seat in the collection now.

I am happy to retain all my watches if I can see them being here for the long term, so some watches such as my Bremont and CWs will stay as they all meet my requirements when it comes to watches. I will though reconsider this at a later date, certainly with the Bremont.

The IWC and EP are always here, nothing more to say on that.

Which just leaves the two big IWCs, these are watches I like but they do have their flaws which annoy me a little, mainly down to their size, weight and comfort. So these have both gone, I’ve arranged a trade of two for one with a little money back as well. The incoming is nicely sized, wears well and is a pretty classic style that will look and wear well for years to come, it also more than ticks my legibility box. If the Bremont and the CWs go at some point down the line I’ll be content with a nice three watch collection, if they stay I’ll be at a maximum of six which isn’t that excessive.

Tunnel dug, escape complete. Nearly.
I'm sure your thoughts resonate with many on here. I too have gone through phases of downsizing/selling a few, buying a few more...rinse and repeat. Overall the main objectives have been to keep the collection to a wearable number and to keep the total "investment" in watches to an approximate ceiling figure.

It sounds like you have made a good decision to trade/sell two that you weren't completely happy with, into one sensible watch. Look forward to seeing what that purchase is?!
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
iain
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

StrappedUp wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:11 pm I've been trying to dig my escape tunnel for some time now, although this year, it has finally been done for me.
I wasn't sure whether to post as I don't wish to derail the thread with sob stories, but it'll also explain why I've been quiet for a while.

My own attempt started with me reducing my collection a few years ago and going through a number of more expensive options hoping to settle down with a select few (3 actually).
I've had the privilege of owning and enjoying "classics" such as the Aqua Terra, Panoreserve, Explorer, BB58(s), El Primero to name a few, and while I truly appreciate the attention to detail you get with some of these, overall, I can't say that they have given me any more satisfaction than quality watches from the "lower echelons".
Nevertheless, I was pretty much ready to settle down with my EP and BB58 Bronze, then maybe add a Bel Canto/SH21-MKII for good measure.

However, earlier this year, my young Daughter suddenly became gravely ill and required emergency surgery to save her life. Thankfully she is now back stronger than ever, and I'm eternally grateful to the wonderful NHS staff that cared for her.
More recently, we tragically lost my Father-in-law on our family holiday abroad, something nobody expects to happen when you should all be having the time of your lives.
As you can imagine, the last couple of months have been a rollercoaster to say the least and has had me reflecting on what's truly important.
While I will still enjoy owning/wearing watches, I've decided that there will be no more expensive purchases for the foreseeable.
And having significant money tied up in watches suddenly just doesn't add up for me, so I've decided to sell my EP and BB58, buy a few "cheapies" and enjoy the leftover cash on more family trips/hols.

I've bought myself a C65 Dune GMT, a gorgeous, early ML Masterpiece which I intend to use for all family occasions, life events etc going forward, and also have lovely Citizen and Seiko GADA pieces arriving shortly. Still plenty of watches to enjoy, and will result in plenty of leftover money to enjoy even moreso.

Will post a new SOTC soon and perhaps briefly document the watches in between which should provide some light entertainment. :oops:
The last few years have been a wild ride, but I'm ready to jump off now.
Very sorry to hear about your dreadful year, Ryan. I suppose these things happen to us all from time to time and it is great news that your daughter has made a good recovery.

It’s amazing how many of us, since Iain’s post have realised we are in a similar place with our collections. To use a pilot’s term, I am in the process of ‘loadshedding’ my collection and would like to get it down from 24 to around 4. I have to keep Grandad’s long-service Vertex, Dad”s 21st present of a 1946 Tudor Oyster and my own 21st watch, a Marvin Revue. I also have to keep that Rolex Datejust that the wife has recently bought for me (keep it schtum, but I can’t abide the thing…but she does, so….)

I don’t know what on earth is going on with me this year, I’ve always been a ‘mechanical snob’ but the watch I’ve worn all summer is a C7 Rapide Mk2 on a tide strap which I absolutely love… very very strange for me.

Anyway, I’m going to start loadshedding soon and I will be posting the watches on here, as I have said before, to keep ‘em in the family’ even if I do not realise the highest price possible for them, some things are more important than money. Good luck with your ‘reduction’ and have a great holiday(s) going forward Ryan.
These users thanked the author Gar787 for the post (total 3):
iainmagicmanStrappedUp
PHIL
MistaFroggyG
Guru
Guru

Post by MistaFroggyG »

I’m always interested in hearing consolidation stories, I have 13 watches in the primary collection (which feels like too many) but most of them were inexpensive so I feel okay with the total money in the hobby.

I think I’m currently content where I am until I see something in the flesh that really inspires me. There are some very high end daily wears in my office (VC Overseas, Yachtmaster, Moonwatch, Seamaster) and while I’ve thought very highly of them when seeing them online, they didn’t do much for me in person. So I feel like my internet based tastes don’t equal my real world taste.

I think I’m going to try a 2 for 1 strategy going forward until I’m down to 10. If I can’t justify trading two of what I have for a new watch, I probably don’t really want the new one.
These users thanked the author MistaFroggyG for the post:
iain
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

It must be that time of year. I was just talking to my wife today about how I’ve been using @Stif’s app to track my collection and noticing that there are a good number of pieces I’m not wearing regularly. I’ve also caught myself trying to wear a couple that I want to like but haven’t connected with the way I thought I would. In all I think I’ll keep 8 for now, which is excessive, and narrow down further to four-ish in a couple years.

I’ve made some other realizations, as well. I’ve read stories from folks who are taking out loans to finance Rolex purchases, or who are spending thousands of dollars with ADs to build a relationship (which is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard). I’m landing in a place, I think, where watch collecting as a hobby is less and less appealing. I’m also just not sure that I’d feel comfortable wearing a piece that costs more than many people spend on cars.

One watch collecting instagram account summed my relationship with purchasing watches up really well with one question: “do you want the watch, or do you want the endorphin rush from buying the watch?”

I don’t regret building a collection, and I don’t judge people who are passionate about this as a hobby (I do judge purchasing other unwanted jewelry so an AD will let you spend more money…). I’m just not sure it’s who I am.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 4):
jkbarnesStifStrappedUpiain
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:14 pm One watch collecting instagram account summed my relationship with purchasing watches up really well with one question: “do you want the watch, or do you want the endorphin rush from buying…0
That’s me with a lot of things! As much as I love my Sealander, I’d say it was probably a 50/50 split between the watch and the rush leading up to the actual purchase. Don’t get me wrong, I love the watch, but…

I came really close to ordering the FLE. What kept me from that was realizing it was the rush, especially with it being an FLE, and not the watch.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Stifiain
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I’m feeling quite honest with myself about tunnel digging at the moment (I think!)
My only real problem is a backlog of a handful of watches I need to get round to selling. I totally understand my love of the rush of buying a watch. But I still enjoy owning and trying out those watches - for some variable amount of time. If the spirit moves into a watch it stays around for longer. If not, it gets sold on with absolutely no regret. I’ve owned and enjoyed a string of brilliant watches over the years. I’m much better now at choosing watches that suit me and wear well. I like the journey of learning what I like and don’t like.

I know I’m always banging on about my three watch collection or my one-watch, but those ideas and that chase are part of my enjoyment of the whole thing - not problematic endpoints that I feel I’m struggling to reach.

I’ve said before that watchy business is part of my zen - through it all I work myself out - impulsive me versus need-for-consistency me. I grew up in an environment where I was never even taught that it was ok to want things for myself. Learning about watches then buying a few is quite the journey :lol: :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 3):
StrappedUpiainthomcat00
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

missF wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:20 am I like the journey of learning what I like and don’t like.

That’s been something I’ve enjoyed and I’ll admit that I’ve made a few expensive mistakes over the years. I feel I’ve now reached the point where I know what I like so I'm comfortable with deciding on my keepers.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
missF
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I shudder to think how deep my escape tunnel will need to be. :problem:
These users thanked the author Kip for the post (total 3):
ajax87thomcat00Gar787
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Kip wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:42 pm I shudder to think how deep my escape tunnel will need to be. :problem:
No worries about that Kip - you can shore up your tunnel with watch boxes :lol: :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
ajax87
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Kip wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:42 pm I shudder to think how deep my escape tunnel will need to be. :problem:

IMG_0042.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
ajax87missFKip
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:14 pm I don’t regret building a collection, and I don’t judge people who are passionate about this as a hobby (I do judge purchasing other unwanted jewelry so an AD will let you spend more money…). I’m just not sure it’s who I am.
The trick is to not let how other people collect influence how you collect. Not always easy but can be done. I have never been on Istagram or Facebook which helps I think (couldn't have accounts because of a previous job and then never bothered).

I am lucky in that I have 2 good ADs close to me that are straight shooters if I was in the market. Lucky for me the new Rolex models don't appeal to me. I still want a Sea-Dweller but it would probably be pre-2000 which is when they were still good :lol: Again lucky for me these are probably the best deal currently for Rolex. Lately I have seen a couple dip below $7k.

Seems to me the whole AD game boils down to certain stores that don't want to let go of the 'family jeweler' model of the old days. The one where several generations all shopped at the same store for everything. The internet broke that and it isn't coming back. Personally, if a store tried that on me they would never see my face again.

Some time ago I created a 'virtual' WatchBox using OneNote. I can force any kinds of limits I want and I collect photos of watches I like. If they don't stay in the virtual box they would never make it to the real one. It lets me play around with watches without spending any cash. This wouldn't work for everyone I know but it scratches the curiosity itch and gives me time to really think about watches before plunking down cash. I also have several 'head to head' notes where I collect pictures of two watches and let them sit and marinate. Sometimes there is a winner and a purchase made and sometimes there is no winner at all.

Going to the local meet up once a month also helps. Again there I m lucky too as it is a very diverse group with new stuff every month.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
Chris GBMistaFroggyG
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London