Day/date watch poll

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward

Would you buy a day/date watch in this format?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:47 am

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 35

rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Day/date watch poll

Post by rkovars »

I like the Sinn better than the Bremont. The large border and screws draw too much attention to the day date. If the Bremont had only a border or no border at all around the day/date it would be much better IMO.

I said yes in the poll as the day/date implementation doesn't bother me one way or the other.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

I’m in the minority with a yes vote; it’s different, but in a good way I think.

The Bremont example on the first page isn’t anywhere near as nice looking, but the beauty of this hobby is that it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

I have had day/date watches since I was in middle school. At the time, I just liked the extra complication. After my education was finished, and for most of my life, my workday has been defined more by the weather than the day of the week. The saying “make hay while the sun shines” had a very literal meaning for me. At some point it became habit. Glancing at my watch to see what day of the week it is isn’t as dumb as it sounds after 10-12 days straight during fall harvest. But I digress, I have two watches with the day/date at 6, in different configurations.
IMG_1948.jpeg
IMG_2790.jpeg
The vertical day is harder to read for sure, but in the long run it’s all what you are used to and if you don’t immediately hate it, you way well grow to like it.
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
tikkathree
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Hmm, not for me I'm afraid. I'm in the "takes too long looking at it" camp.

But do we never see a date or day complication in the 9 o'clock position? Is there a mechanical reason for this?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:19 am Hmm, not for me I'm afraid. I'm in the "takes too long looking at it" camp.

But do we never see a date or day complication in the 9 o'clock position? Is there a mechanical reason for this?
I don’t know of any physical reason, tho it’s a valid point. Fortis is the only manufacture I’m aware of and I don’t think they are making this model anymore. I like it a LOT.
IMG_3117.jpeg
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

I really like a day and date complication, in pretty much any format. The Sinn 105 looks great to me and I've come close to pulling the trigger on one a few times.

I also admire how Nodus integrated the day wheel with the sector section of the dial in my Nodus Sector Pilot:
IMG_4365.jpeg
These users thanked the author Bident for the post (total 2):
rkovarsThunder1
Best regards,
John
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Still a day to run on this poll, can't see there being a lot more votes. Thanks to everyone that did vote and/or offered an opinion. The watch has received more likes than I anticipated, at present a third of the vote. The more I look at this watch the more I like it; it's such a legible execution. I had no real interest in day/dates previously, but I really find it one of the strong points of the dial here. I have it in my head to get a Sinn and this one is certainly in the running. Thanks again...

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

As we seem to have moved on and are generally discussing day/date watches, I thought I'd throw in the Damasko DK15 I used to own, on which the day/date is at 3 but offset below the axis line to balance the Logo above.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Thunder1
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

I’m never really moved to vote in many polls, but it’s always interesting to see how votes are cast.

We have a fair few active members and the votes don’t seem to get anywhere near this number.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
strapline
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:31 am I’m never really moved to vote in many polls, but it’s always interesting to see how votes are cast.

We have a fair few active members and the votes don’t seem to get anywhere near this number.
Yep, sad but true. In fact, I didn't think it would receive the interest it has. The result is round about where I expected. I've noticed that the forum has been a bit flat of late. Many people are lurkers and contribute little or nothing post wise. There is a small cohort on here that generate new thread content and regularly comment on others threads. If they go missing/take a break it really slows down on here, and you often find yourself returning to threads like 'is the SW-200 a good movement?' I have contributed a lot more in the past, I guess my enthusiasm has waned a little.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

strapline wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:39 pm

Yep, sad but true. In fact, I didn't think it would receive the interest it has. The result is round about where I expected. I've noticed that the forum has been a bit flat of late. Many people are lurkers and contribute little or nothing post wise. There is a small cohort on here that generate new thread content and regularly comment on others threads. If they go missing/take a break it really slows down on here, and you often find yourself returning to threads like 'is the SW-200 a good movement?' I have contributed a lot more in the past, I guess my enthusiasm has waned a little.

Des
Be interesting to hear other views such as yours, Des, of which I agree.

Not many thought provoking threads recently. I prefer watch related threads more than others.

Some threads seem started for the sake of it, but uninteresting nonetheless. (I must stress, my opinion only)
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
strapline
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:48 pm
strapline wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:39 pm

Des
Be interesting to hear other views such as yours, Des, of which I agree.

Not many thought provoking threads recently. I prefer watch related threads more than others.

Some threads seem started for the sake of it, but uninteresting nonetheless. (I must stress, my opinion only)
Perhaps it's time to start a poll of your own Brian? :D

Des
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

For business casual wear, I am a fan of the Day Date..but, I prefer this format..
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day Date H3250513 H-40(1).JPG
These users thanked the author Thunder1 for the post (total 2):
rkovarsBahnstormer_vRS
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Although I don’t own a stacked day/date I find the format works for me. Time can be a glance, but for the day and date I don’t mind a moment to read and decode it from a watch. Of the pics presented the Bremont took the framing in a direction that does not appeal to me; Sinn offered it in a way that appeals. I do see it as a useful complication. It just needs to be well designed for the dial and the watch as a whole.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Baser
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Baser »

It’s a no for me but to be honest I’m not fussed about having the day or date on the dial at all.
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.