Cooliris

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Cooliris

Post by El Tiempo »

I think this is one of the greatest browsing enhancements ever. It's a browser add-on for either IE, Firefox and one other I think.

Basically, after you install the add-on, links and other media will have a small, blue square pop up when you mouse over them (circled in green below). Mouse over the blue square and you'll get a preview of the linked media (see the red arrow). No click browsing!

You can also email the previewed link to someone from within the preview. You just have to perform a very simple registration for this though. I find this most useful in forums. No more opening the thread. I can just use Cooliris to look inside. Kind of like X-Ray vision for your mouse. Move your mouse over the preview to keep it open, then just move it off to close the preview. Easy/

Link to Firefox add-on

Link to video for joerattz
Hans
Administrator Emeritus
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

Hmmm, sounds interesting, but won't it generate a lot more network-traffic because of the pre-fetching?
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by El Tiempo »

Hans, from the FAQ at Cooliris.

USAGE QUESTIONS

* How can I make Cooliris preview even faster?
Under Cooliris preferences, there is an option to enable/disable prefetch. Prefetching enables the browser to fetch the contents of the page you are visiting so that when you click on it, its already there. If some sites take longer to load, its because the server (computer) they are hosted (loaded) on, is responding slowly. When prefetch is enabled, Cooliris previews are faster than clicking on a link, however when its disabled, the preview window loads the site as fast as if you were to click on it.

The default setting for pre-fetch is off. However, there is a 'Ask a question, get an answer' link at the bottom of the FAQ and I forwarded you question. I will report any responses.

In the mean time, I think I'm turning on pre-fetch.

El Tiempo
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by El Tiempo »

Okay, it's early morning and here is the response from the geeks at Cooliris.
Some names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Hello El Tiempo,

Thanks for the question. In some cases we do, in most we don't. We use the actual link itself to prefetch the content (so they don't count as clicks/referrals).

cheers,
Mayank
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: Cooliris

Post by joerattz »

I am sorry, but that video does not adhere to mentioning me by name. That will just not do. :D
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20