Commissioning a piece of art

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Commissioning a piece of art

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I've never done this before, so I'm quite excited about it.

My Egypt book is getting to an advanced stage now, and I was starting to think of my cover image. I knew what I wanted...

In the opening chapter I wrote a description of "The Egypt of the Heart and Mind", a half-remembered image from a vintage travel poster I must have seen as a child. It had all the tropes: camels, palm trees, pyramids, a dahabiya (twin-masted sailing boat).

I have a passion for these vintage posters, and the "hook of the book" is the image and whether I could discover anything of the magic from it on my trip.

I decided that the image would need to be recreated, and I'm delighted that a former pupil of mine, currently studying Fine Art at university, has agreed to take it on. She's a very talented young lady and seems enthused by the idea...and I'm sure the Prosecco Tokens will be appreciated.

More anon.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 7):
Paul DrawmerKipmissFiainscooterjkbarnesthomcat00
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Commissioning a piece of art

Post by iain »

This sounds like an interesting commission. I assume you have not seen the poster since childhood and the artist is going to create one from your memories?

Or have you managed to find an old poster that they will be drawing inspiration from and embellishing?

It’s also good to hear that the book itself is coming along. You hadn’t mentioned it for a while and I was wondering if it was still in progress or had gone on to the back burner.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia

@iain I have found a few old posters which will give her some ideas, but mainly she is going to reconstruct it from my written description. We are thinking of something in A3 size, so the original will look reasonably good hanging on the wall. That size in portrait will also be easy to reduce and overlay with the title &c.

I kept plugging away at the book, but it has undergone quite a few revisions after comments from yourself and others about the early chapters. A lot of the early material about planning the trip has gone – it just wasn’t necessary. My main proof reader and sternest critic is one of the friends from university that I met up with a couple of weeks ago. Mainly as a result of his input the book is looking much leaner and fitter now. I’m happy to send you some revised chapters if you would like them.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesiain
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m glad to hear it’s coming along so well. I feel like I abandoned you at the end of the summer last year.

Let me put in my order for one copy, ideally signed by the author! Seriously though, if you self-publish and need a minimum order, you can count on me for one.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:25 am I feel like I abandoned you at the end of the summer last year.
No need, Drew. I totally understood (and still do) your time constraints, and I appreciated the valuable feedback I received from both you and @iain about the early chapters.

The people who really annoy me are the ones who come over totally enthusiastic and offer to read stuff, then never actually return anything.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve

watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

@Amor Vincit Omnia That’s all great news Steve. I am excited to see and ultimately read of your adventures. Provided, of course, you include an extensive glossary to help this old farm boy with any obscure terminology. :lol:
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

grats on getting close to finishing your book.

despite 30+ years as a graphic designer, i've never "commissioned" anything for work. i mean, i've worked with other designers on my team who've illustrated things, so maybe vaguely?

i had one commission i got for a nonprofit i was helping to run once and it was a lot of fun. despite the fact that it was donated and i couldn't really direct a lot, i got exactly what i was hoping for. so here's me wishing you get exactly what's in your mind (or maybe something even better).
These users thanked the author gwells for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
the "g" is for Greg...