Coming to city near you

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Ailurophile
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 5

Coming to city near you

Post by Ailurophile »

Well, most of you. My family and I are headed to London tomorrow night. Any suggestions of places to go with a 4.5 year old & a not quite 2 year old? Perhaps we can storm the CWL office? :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Re: Coming to city near you

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Ailurophile wrote:Well, most of you. My family and I are headed to London tomorrow night. Any suggestions of places to go with a 4.5 year old & a not quite 2 year old? Perhaps we can storm the CWL office? :lol:
I realise this may be a tough ask given the age of the children, but if you can get Mrs. A to look after them for a couple of hours (Hamley's toy store, Regent Street?), go and visit the Clockmakers' Museum in the Guildhall (5 minute walk from St. Pauls underground station).
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Ailurophile wrote:Well, most of you. My family and I are headed to London tomorrow night. Any suggestions of places to go with a 4.5 year old & a not quite 2 year old? Perhaps we can storm the CWL office? :lol:
I hope you have a great trip. I would definitely find a way to stop by CWL and the museum...but thats me. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Bath is always a good day out.

Don't forget the photos :lol:

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Ailurophile
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Ailurophile »

Kip wrote:
I hope you have a great trip. I would definitely find a way to stop by CWL and the museum...but thats me. :)
Do they actually allow visitors at CWL? I was half-kidding.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Natural History Museum (its free)
Tower Of London
Hamleys (definitely won't be free :lol: )
London Zoo

Train out of Paddington...30/45 minutes to Maidenhead. Short walk to CW HQ.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

They do if you warn them. But CWL is in Maidenhead and not London. About 40 mins on the train from London Paddington.

Hard to know what to do with a 2 year old but the older one may like the dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum.

For you a stop at Harrods (great to visit the Food Department) for the watch area.

How about
London Zoo (Regents Park)
London Eye
Boat to Greenwich and visit park and Observatory which you can straddle the Meridian line. Also a quaint market area that women seem to like.
Covent Garden market
The Tower of London
Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace
Also a bus trip that tours around is a great way to see lots of things and get your bearings
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

As i was born in london in 1967 and lived there for 38 years my personal recommendations would be to go and visit norwich or great yarmouth for a week :lol:
Graham
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

footycrazy wrote:As i was born in london in 1967 and lived there for 38 years my personal recommendations would be to go and visit norwich or great yarmouth for a week :lol:
Poo poo. London is a great place to visit. :thumbup: Just would not live there unless I was young and rich. :(
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

ianblyth wrote:
footycrazy wrote:As i was born in london in 1967 and lived there for 38 years my personal recommendations would be to go and visit norwich or great yarmouth for a week :lol:
Poo poo. London is a great place to visit. :thumbup: Just would not live there unless I was young and rich. :(
I guess i should elaborate slightly :oops: yes london can be a great place to visit (moreso for an adult)

Firstly, I am assuming that with 2 youngsters of 4.5 & under 2, at least 1 is probably in a pushchair/pram (not much fun in london) very busy pavements, packed buses/trains, lots of stairs to go up and down.
Then the places of interest, parks or zoo (perfect) but the london eye, london dungeons, wax works, tower of london are mostly spent cueing up for long periods of time and the kids will be bored before you even get inside. Trafalgar square - thousands of flying rats, that will **** on you.
As for Harrod,s food court, (or any food in london is expensive) especially as most of the kids food will end up on the floor. Hamleys is overcrowded and full of expensive toot.

So take the kids somewhere fun, like the seaside with amusements and rides and the sea/sand to play with, not a smoke filled city that has dirty streets and drug dealers and thieves on every other 3rd corner.
So save the trips to central London for when you can get a babysitter.

Just my opinion.
Graham
Ailurophile
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Ailurophile »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Fortunately, we're staying with friends who kids the same age as mine, so we'll be able to take advantage of that.

I'm going to see if I can sneak out to visit CWL. Not sure I'll have the time. But it would be cool.
Jammy Devil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jammy Devil »

Hopefully Saint Wera will read this thread and send you a VIP pass for access to CWL HQ. :lol:
I hope you and your family enjoy your time in London and have a safe visit. :wave:
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

Take them to the "south Bank" where the London Eye is....they will have lots of fun watching the street performers.

The Golden Hind is further along....cheat, buy one ticket for the wife....get her to take the rug rats on, whilst you enjoy a pint of real beer in the pub over looking it

You can go on a "Duck tour" a funny contraption dating from WW2 where you ride around, and then drive into the Thames for a float along the river past Westminster/Eye/House of Parliament

London Dungeons are a little old for the kids and will scare them

Be prepared to get mugged....London/UK is very expensive compared to the US. Our economy is in dire straits, so please spend as much as you can to help us out ! :D .......If you hire a car.....ask for an Auto as you from over there will have a real laugh with real cars ! :D

Be prepared to not meet any English in the capital......they have all left....hardly anyone speaks English.......but our Police are very good, and if lost ask one to help you out, they are very helpful as long as you don't ask if their heads actually go to the top of their hats !

I know Americans like tipping......but only tip if you feel like you have been served well, and enjoyed your meal. Do not tip in pubs at the bar ordering pints. However I doubt their is a bar maid in the UK who would turn down the offer of a drink !

If you see anyone wearing a CW watch it is customary to buy them a drink

It is not foggy in London.......only in films.....we do not live off a diet of limes and sometimes wash more than once a year. Yes we have bad teeth.

Have a nice trip....take your brain out going through Heathrow
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side