Cleaning a Bronze Watch

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Cleaning a Bronze Watch

Post by JAFO »

I didn't want to derail an existing thread, so I started a new one.

Here's a before and after. The watch is about 18months old.

The after is the result of leaving it in lemon juice for about 20 minutes, then a 2minute oral b brushing, I've done that twice, and I'm doing another cycle now. How many cycles do you think it needs?
IMG_20230805_142845914~2.jpg
Before
IMG_20230805_152617419~2.jpg
After 2 cycles
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Cleaning a Bronze Watch

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

One cycle less than you've given it already. :wink: :wink:

It looked perfectly fine to start with and those 18 months of accruing patina has all been in vain.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
JAFOiain
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:57 pm One cycle less than you've given it already. :wink: :wink:

It looked perfectly fine to start with and those 18 months of accruing patina has all been in vain.

Guy
Ha ha. Thanks. :D

Well, you can't please everyone, and there was a little bit of green inside the lugs which I wasn't keen on. It's on a third cycle at the moment.

I'll put it on a strap after this cycle and post the result.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:57 pm One cycle less than you've given it already. :wink: :wink:

Guy
Ha ha. Thanks. :D

Well, you can't please everyone, and there was a little bit of green inside the lugs which I wasn't keen on. It's on a third cycle at the moment.

I'll put it on a strap after this cycle and post the results.
IMG_20230805_161500685_HDR~2.jpg
Nato
IMG_20230805_162026841~2.jpg
Dark green fkm rubber
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

That looks great on the dark green rubber
These users thanked the author StrappedUp for the post (total 2):
JAFOnbg
Ryan
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

IMG_4373.jpeg
IMG_4374.jpeg
IMG_4375.jpeg
IMG_4376.jpeg
IMG_4378.jpeg
I could have told you that Guy would not agree with your patina vandalisation, but it’s horses for courses I suppose. A timely post given that I have just smartened a bronze watch up today…I used lemon juice and baking powder to make a paste…only one pass needed. Attached are some pics (not the best) of the Oris Fratello on a Tribus vintage oak strap. You can see what the watch looked like, pre-clean by the patina still on the two Oris strap buckles that the watch came with.
IMG_4380.jpeg
IMG_4379.jpeg
These users thanked the author Gar787 for the post:
JAFO
PHIL
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

One of the best things about bronze watches is the ability, should you wish, to reset and start over.

Personally I find the deep brown of the bronze patina to be too much, dirty looking almost, and when mine reach that stage I feel the need to reset. I then get to start the wonderful journey all over again. What fun! And you know full well that if you regret the reset, it’s only ever temporary.

If you like it, good for you. If you don’t, wait a few months and you’ll be liking it again. You have the best of both worlds.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post (total 2):
Gar787JAFO
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

StrappedUp wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:06 pm That looks great on the dark green rubber
Didn’t know that you liked bronze watches Ryan…

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
JAFO
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I’m with Guy on this one, bronze watches are meant to patina and if that look is not for you then it’s maybe best to not buy one.

I understand why some people prefer the new look of bronze but ultimately you know it’s going to patina, so if that’s not for you then you might need to look elsewhere. If you need to constantly reset the patina then I’m pretty sure you’ll tire eventually and move the watch on.

I’m probably the exact opposite, whenever I’ve bought a bronze watch I can’t wait for it to look aged. New bronze is not for me and if it didn’t look old reasonably quickly I’d be looking elsewhere and not buying bronze to start with.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
JAFO
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Gar787 »

iain wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:22 pm I’m with Guy on this one, bronze watches are meant to patina and if that look is not for you then it’s maybe best to not buy one.

I understand why some people prefer the new look of bronze but ultimately you know it’s going to patina, so if that’s not for you then you might need to look elsewhere. If you need to constantly reset the patina then I’m pretty sure you’ll tire eventually and move the watch on.

I’m probably the exact opposite, whenever I’ve bought a bronze watch I can’t wait for it to look aged. New bronze is not for me and if it didn’t look old reasonably quickly I’d be looking elsewhere and not buying bronze to start with.
If they’re ‘meant to patina’ why are so few sold sold new in that condition? They can be aged and advertised and sold in that condition but they aren’t. They’re usually marketed/advertised in shiny, bright guise to attract they eye. I believe that with a bronze you can have the best of both worlds I guess, it’s part of the fun and the process of de-patinating really doesn’t take much time at all. Similarly, there are methods to age the watch case also. Each to their own, but ‘meant to?’ I disagree…agreeably.👍
These users thanked the author Gar787 for the post (total 2):
Trs1982JAFO
PHIL
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

@Gar787 i suppose my choice of words when I said ‘meant to’ was around the watch designers who know a bronze watch will age and I’m sure this is taken into consideration at the design stage.

I remember when CW first showed their first bronze cases during one on the forum chats which no longer happen, they had designed their mk2 trident bronze case, but left it to see how it would look when aged before announcing it and releasing it for sale.

I accept some people don’t like that but we all know it’s going to happen and I’m not sure I could cope with a watch that needed working on every few weeks to retain its appearance.

As for why many watch manufacturers don’t sell pre aged watches. I assume it’s down to a combination of time, cost, and effort to do it, or they know many buyers want the watch to age with them.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
Gar787JAFO
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Gar787 »

iain wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:51 pm @Gar787 i suppose my choice of words when I said ‘meant to’ was around the watch designers who know a bronze watch will age and I’m sure this is taken into consideration at the design stage.

I remember when CW first showed their first bronze cases during one on the forum chats which no longer happen, they had designed their mk2 trident bronze case, but left it to see how it would look when aged before announcing it and releasing it for sale.

I accept some people don’t like that but we all know it’s going to happen and I’m not sure I could cope with a watch that needed working on every few weeks to retain its appearance.

As for why many watch manufacturers don’t sell pre aged watches. I assume it’s down to a combination of time, cost, and effort to do it, or they know many buyers want the watch to age with them.
Well I could let the watch age gracefully, like me. But as it’s the 21st century, and appearance and preserving youthful good looks these days seems to be de rigeur…think of it like this, I’ve just given the bronze chap a little citrus botox…😉😉
These users thanked the author Gar787 for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesiainJAFO
PHIL
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I like the look of fresh bronze and I don’t care for patina. It’s why I sought out the C65 Black Gold watch. Color, without the tarnishing grey-green to trigger my need to clean it. :D
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
JAFO
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

nbg wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:57 pm
StrappedUp wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:06 pm That looks great on the dark green rubber
Didn’t know that you liked bronze watches Ryan…

Neil
I don't. Bloody awful things!
These users thanked the author StrappedUp for the post (total 2):
nbgJAFO
Ryan
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

@JAFO I'm with you on this....2-3 cycles to give it that wonderful rose gold appearance and brightness!! Looks great.
These users thanked the author Viognier for the post (total 2):
JAFOGar787
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy