Christmas Presents

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Christmas Presents

Post by TheBeatles »

Has anybody got any watches planned for Christmas, either arranged or hoped for?

Just asking because I have one, purchased from Guy last week. (non CW, and a gift from my wife)

If you have and it’s already put away, do what my wife suggested. She said I could adjust bracelet now, so it’s ready to wear come the big day.

If not a watch, what are you hoping for?

I particularly like making the giant Lego models. (Very therapeutic ) I received the Saturn V and the ISS for the last 2 Christmases. (Is that a word!!)

Best wishes to all for the upcoming season
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post (total 4):
jkbarnesstraplinethomcat00Bahnstormer_vRS
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Christmas Presents

Post by jkbarnes »

No watches nor any particular gifts on the Christmas horizon this year. I’ve reached that age where I’m running out of things to ask for!

We did manage to find two small things that my wife and mother-in-law picked up for me while visiting over Thanksgiving. My wife has known I’ve always admired old pewter or silver hot chocolate makers, you know the kind with the handle off to the side? We find one in a thrift store that she bought and has set aside. My mother-in-law bought me this small vintage glass beaker that I’m going to use as a jigger for mixing cocktails.

I’m with you on the Lego sets! I’d be all in on some of those if I had to room for them. Alas, I don’t.
Drew
Baser
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Baser »

We stick to a small budget for birthdays and xmas so I won't be getting a watch (although I bought myself an addition to the collection last week). Have a couple of watch bands on my list but will have to see what Mrs Claus brings me.

I am with you on the Lego sets, nothing like a nice Whiskey and Lego to get away from it all at Xmas but I am running out of room. Might to box some of it up before adding to the collection.
IMG_7341.jpeg
These users thanked the author Baser for the post (total 2):
jkbarneswookiechew23
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:55 am

I’m with you on the Lego sets! I’d be all in on some of those if I had to room for them. Alas, I don’t.
I agree about the room needed to display, some are huge. Would be such a shame to assemble and then just dismantle to put back in box.

For the Saturn V I bought some bespoke brackets so I could display vertically showing the various stages of separation. Looks great!
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
jkbarnes
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

I've got Lego coming out of my ears that still needs building, including that GT3 hanging on the wall above, so no more Lego for me at the moment!

Incidentally, have a look how much those GT3 sets are fetching on eBay these days...
Baser
Senior
Senior

Post by Baser »

Trs1982 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:19 pm I've got Lego coming out of my ears that still needs building, including that GT3 hanging on the wall above, so no more Lego for me at the moment!

Incidentally, have a look how much those GT3 sets are fetching on eBay these days...
It's scary isn't it. I paid £199 for mine when Argos were clearing the last of their stock. Nearly bought an extra couple of sets as an investment but it feels wrong not building them.
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

@TheBeatles You mentioned Lego sets and therapeutic in the same sentence, that has made the whole escapade very appealing. I may have to give Lego-a-go. Some research, I think. 😉

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Trs1982 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:19 pm Incidentally, have a look how much those GT3 sets are fetching on eBay these days...
Really?! I have one of those cars unopened in a box. It was a gift to my son from my parents. I might need to look into flipping it on eBay for him!
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Baser wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:06 pm We stick to a small budget for birthdays and xmas so I won't be getting a watch (although I bought myself an addition to the collection last week). Have a couple of watch bands on my list but will have to see what Mrs Claus brings me.

I am with you on the Lego sets, nothing like a nice Whiskey and Lego to get away from it all at Xmas but I am running out of room. Might to box some of it up before adding to the collection.

IMG_7341.jpeg
Nice Falcon! Here is mine from 1978.
20181206_122213673_iOS.jpg
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesBaserwookiechew23
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:05 pm
Trs1982 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:19 pm Incidentally, have a look how much those GT3 sets are fetching on eBay these days...
Really?! I have one of those cars unopened in a box. It was a gift to my son from my parents. I might need to look into flipping it on eBay for him!
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:05 pm
Yeah, they fetch £500+ new in box. I only paid £100 for mine so I'm considering just keeping it and giving to my lad when he's older to make some money for himself.
These users thanked the author Trs1982 for the post:
jkbarnes
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

No great watchy plans beyond hoping for the arrival of a certain Forum FLE :lol:

I surprised myself this week with a quick grab on EBay - wait until tomorrow for a reveal - and had a complete impulse on a crowdfunder too - you'll have to wait for that one too. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:08 pm No great watchy plans beyond hoping for the arrival of a certain Forum FLE :lol:
Same here! The Forum LE is last years Christmas present! This year...no watches, I'm trekking to Everest Base Camp at Easter so my entire Christmas list is made up of various bits of kit. (Watches for the trip already taken care of).
These users thanked the author Macdaz for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

As a collector of vinyl, I’ve ordered about half a dozen records over the past couple of months that I’ve set aside for when relatives ask what I’d like for Christmas. I’m sure my mother in law will love a bit of Motörhead on Christmas Day morning.

My brother in law lives in Bristol and always buys me a selection of local craft beers that I wouldn’t usually find where I live.

Other than that, nothing on the horizon for me.

Regarding Lego, we had an interesting thread on that a while ago that a few of you might have missed. If you’re a Lego a fan it might be worth a browse through the posts.

offtopic/brilliant-lego-sets-t58403.html
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesBaser
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:14 pm Regarding Lego, we had an interesting thread on that a while ago that a few of you might have missed. If you’re a Lego a fan it might be worth a browse through the posts.

offtopic/brilliant-lego-sets-t58403.html
That’s a fantastic thread.
Drew