Christmas Presents

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Re: Christmas Presents

Post by thomcat00 »

No more Lego for me for awhile, my kids assert I have too much already. Several sets are as yet unbuilt, and my kids lost interest and favor online gaming.

The FLE ‘23 is my gift to me. :)
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
BrokenSkunk

Post by BrokenSkunk »

Sorry, I'm not a fan of modern Lego.
The kits that were available when I was a kid were all generic rectangular bricks, cogs & shafts. Sure you could follow the instructions and build the set as intended. But you could also go off piste using your imagination to create something of your own and that's what made the stuff so wonderful.

The modern kits appear to have a high proportion of parts that are custom, like the bodywork panels on @Baser's cars. They don't look like they'd be easy to use for any other purpose.

Perhaps my imagination has withered as I have matured.

I'm not saying that the modern kits are't fantastic models - clearly they are. I just feel that in becoming less "blocky" the kits have lost what I feel to be the essence of Lego.

Horses for courses eh?

Christmas.
Santa (a.k.a. Mrs BrokenSkunk) has very generously bought me one of these:
I am a very lucky boy!

Then of course AliExpress celebrated the fabulous Chinese tradition of Black Friday.
£52 for a SD1953, delivered, with all taxes paid is ridiculous! The thing has a NH35, ceramic bezel, saphire crystal, milled clasp and the dial even claims 300M worth of water tightness. I've never actually handled a Steeldive, but the general concensus seems to be that they are great value at their normal price point, which is more than double the offer price.
This will be the 46th watch in the collection and incredibly the first traditional diver. It is due to arrive yesterday, but you know... Royal Mail (it isn't here yet). Rather than confess to having bought yet another watch now, I may wrap it up, shove a "To BrokenSkunk, from Father Christmas" tag on it and slip it under the tree on the big day.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

No more Lego for me for awhile, my kids assert I have too much already.
That did make me laugh!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It's fun reading this. It hasn't been an issue for me for many years, and I can honestly say I don't miss all the hassle of gift shopping. My wider family stopped doing it many years ago, though I did exchange gifts with my mother when she was alive.

My Christmas involves sunshine (hopefully), a lovely hotel, long walks by the Mediterranean, lots of great food and drink, plenty of like-minded company and a trip to a beautiful 16th Century Venetian building for a spot of festive mumbling and singing (I'd better say no more about that or I'll have to give myself a warning! :lol: )

That's my present to myself.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

I just bought this from missF to give to my teenage granddaughter as a Christmas prez. She's nuts about Peanuts, unfortunately she's going through a pretty torrid time at the moment, so hopefully this will cheer her up . . .and thanks so much to Lindsey who designed it herself :D

Snoopy.jpg
Snoopy Swatch - design by missF
These users thanked the author NigelS for the post (total 5):
missFChris375Dickchinsrkovarsthomcat00
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Im treating myself to some final bling for my bike prior to some powder coating in the new year.

Just picked up about £400 worth of alu & titanium bolt sets and alu reservoir covers, some Hell trans red braided brake lines, full Samco silicone hose kit, and ASV shorty levers.
Added to the quickshifter kit with pit lane limiter and launch control and the Racefit Growler exhaust I treated myself to for my birthday in October, it should be a satisfying (if not expensive) end to the year. Pretty sure ill be deaf by easter with the exhaust but hey.....

(Non bikers may not have a clue what all that guff is!!!)

Oh yeah and I guess the Mako can be kinda added in as a late birthday/early xmas prezi, just to justify it.....

20231130_162930(0).jpg
20231130_162858.jpg
These users thanked the author Dickchins for the post:
NigelS
Baser
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Baser »

BrokenSkunk wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:14 am Sorry, I'm not a fan of modern Lego.
The kits that were available when I was a kid were all generic rectangular bricks, cogs & shafts. Sure you could follow the instructions and build the set as intended. But you could also go off piste using your imagination to create something of your own and that's what made the stuff so wonderful.

The modern kits appear to have a high proportion of parts that are custom, like the bodywork panels on @Baser's cars. They don't look like they'd be easy to use for any other purpose.

Perhaps my imagination has withered as I have matured.

I'm not saying that the modern kits are't fantastic models - clearly they are. I just feel that in becoming less "blocky" the kits have lost what I feel to be the essence of Lego.

Horses for courses eh?
If you ever feel the want to get back into it have a look at a website called bricklink they have a section for MOC (My Own Creation) where people post instructions on alternatives you can build from an existing official Lego kit, some of it is amazing. 8 speed sequential, paddle shift gearboxes connected to 16 cylinder engine and 4wd, just witch craft, most can be achieved with old style Technic Lego.

The cars look like they contain a lot of unique parts but they contain very few kit specific parts (providing you can live with the colours not matching). Under the skin they are all black beams, pins, axles and cogs like lego of old.
These users thanked the author Baser for the post:
BrokenSkunk
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

Dickchins wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:34 pm Im treating myself to some final bling for my bike prior to some powder coating in the new year.
Just picked up about £400 worth of alu & titanium bolt sets and alu reservoir covers, some Hell trans red braided brake lines, full Samco silicone hose kit, and ASV shorty levers.
Added to the quickshifter kit with pit lane limiter and launch control and the Racefit Growler exhaust I treated myself to for my birthday in October,
(Non bikers may not have a clue what all that guff is!!!)
. . . . and for bikers, we need a series of before and after shots in the 'Just a place to put nice pictures' thread ' :D
These users thanked the author NigelS for the post:
Dickchins
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
BrokenSkunk

Post by BrokenSkunk »

The Steeldive has arrived.
I'm not in love.

It looks like a nice watch, I should be chomping at the bit to tear off the stickies and size the bracelet, especially as Mr BrokenSkunk wasn't around to guilt trip me when it arrived, but I just don't have the urge to.

For starters it's far too big. I've a 7 1/4" wrist, that's fairly average isn't it? I have a few big watches, a 42mm Parnis, an RLG Atlanticus (Dick big dick - also 42mm) a Cartier Roadster and a Seiko Recraft SNKM97 at a whopping 43.5mm. The Steeldive is supposed to be 41mm, but it feels much much larger.

Then there's the bezel. It feels very clicky, when rotated it sounds like you're winding an old clockwork toy. There's a bit of backlash (slop) in the indexing too.

I dunno, at the moment I just don't feel the joy. Perhaps the above is me looking for reasons why, maybe I'm making it all up to justify my lack of lust.

I think I'll unbox it again in a few days and see if I'm in a different mood.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

BrokenSkunk wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:23 am I think I'll unbox it again in a few days and see if I'm in a different mood.
That’s a great idea! I might benefit from this approach…
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

BrokenSkunk wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:23 am The Steeldive has arrived.
I'm not in love.

It looks like a nice watch, I should be chomping at the bit to tear off the stickies and size the bracelet, especially as Mr BrokenSkunk wasn't around to guilt trip me when it arrived, but I just don't have the urge to.

For starters it's far too big. I've a 7 1/4" wrist, that's fairly average isn't it? I have a few big watches, a 42mm Parnis, an RLG Atlanticus (Dick big dick - also 42mm) a Cartier Roadster and a Seiko Recraft SNKM97 at a whopping 43.5mm. The Steeldive is supposed to be 41mm, but it feels much much larger.

Then there's the bezel. It feels very clicky, when rotated it sounds like you're winding an old clockwork toy. There's a bit of backlash (slop) in the indexing too.

I dunno, at the moment I just don't feel the joy. Perhaps the above is me looking for reasons why, maybe I'm making it all up to justify my lack of lust.

I think I'll unbox it again in a few days and see if I'm in a different mood.
I would also go watchless for a few hours beforehand. Our brains tend to 'groove' with whatever is on our wrist. If we make a quick change to something unknown it looks 'off' but we can't put our finger on it.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

With my birthday being towards the end of November, presents can sometimes meld together with Christmas. This year, I've managed to separate them.

Aside from the regulation wine, whisky, and chocolate from family, I bought one of Giles's new, typically over designed and engineered, strap buckles to go with my Schofield Strange Lights Not Quite Green for my birthday present to self, and I may have bought a watch yesterday, Thursday, that I'll count as my Christmas present.

As for Lego? I got the Caterham 7 a few years ago, and for the last few years (since it was released) I keep thinking of getting the McLaren F1 car; but have not got around to it.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Had coffee and mince pies with friends yesterday and there’s a dusting of snow on the ground this morning. Arrival day of the FLE will be Christmas Day for me. I keep popping back to have a look at @cookiemonster’s mock up. Obviously knowing what it’s going to look like on a masculine hairy wrist means there’s still space for anticipation over what it’s going to look like on mine :lol:

I also found this and this is my other pressie to me. The Design Deck. A deck of cards, each of which has a small lesson or demonstration on some aspect of Graphic Design - colour theory, design drawing, typography, and other lovely visual things :D

IMG_3674.jpeg
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
rkovars