Chasing down my childhood

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Chasing down my childhood

Post by jkbarnes »

Last week my wife and I went to see Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. It was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. After the movie, I found myself experiencing a wave of nostalgia that sent me to the interwebs to track down some of the old D&D stuff I had as a kid. Mission accomplished! Considering I’m highly unlikely to actually play, I spent way too much money on this.

Speaking of playing, while my friends and I really liked D&D, we never actually played much. None of us really knew what the h*ll we were doing! :lol: We bought the all stuff and generated the characters and thumbed through the books, but that was about it.

Has anyone else found themselves chasing down the items of their youth? Back in January I bought a fully restored 40 year old radio alarm clock that really takes me back.

IMG_7755.jpeg
The magazine visible under the D&D stuff is a Life Magazine dated the day I was born, in case anyone is wondering about that “Male Plumage” headline.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 3):
rkovarsStifthomcat00
Drew
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Chasing down my childhood

Post by gwells »

i played the original version in the 70s when i was in 8th and 9th grade. my best friend's neighbor was a college student and introduced us to it as our DM (and with his college friends). he also introduced us to "kiddie killers" (vodka and koolaid).
These users thanked the author gwells for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesthomcat00
the "g" is for Greg...
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

About the furthest I ventured into the world of dungeons and dragons was reading the the old ‘choose you own adventure’ books.

Regarding chasing childhood memories. I bought a recreation of an old video game console with about 500 games preloaded into to. After fully charging the battery my interest waned before it had even run out of power and it’s remained in its box ever since.

I’ve also got a box of scalextric track and cars in a huge box in the bottom of a wardrobe my wife keep threatening to donate to charity.

Both these acquisitions have taught me that nostalgia is not what it used to be.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesthomcat00
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:00 am …I bought a recreation of an old video game console with about 500 games preloaded into to. …and it’s remained in its box ever since.

Both these acquisitions have taught me that nostalgia is not what it used to be.
I can relate to this. I’ve been tempted many times to buy a retro video console. Then I remember how bad I was at video games and that I never really enjoyed them much, and the temptation goes away.

I’m finding as I push further into my 50s, that I’m increasingly piqued by the things I had as a child. I tracked down a watch I once had. There was a short stretch where I was determined to buy a BMX bike. I’ve got an eye out on Reverb.com for the amp I had as a teenager…stuff like that. I’ve got to be really careful so that I don’t throw away money chasing after ghosts.

No regrets with the D&D stuff though, even if I never actually use it. It’s fun and has brought a smile to my face.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
thomcat00
Drew
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

iain wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:00 am Regarding chasing childhood memories. I bought a recreation of an old video game console with about 500 games preloaded into to. After fully charging the battery my interest waned before it had even run out of power and it’s remained in its box ever since.
I did similar. An emulation device made to look like a game boy and I love it. Fire it up for the short commute and play a bit of Sonic/Mario/anything you can remember. Kills a bit of time.
20230414_111743.jpg
20230414_111712.jpg
20230414_111605.jpg
These users thanked the author sproughton for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesDeej
Deej
Senior
Senior

Post by Deej »

sproughton wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:19 am
iain wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:00 am Regarding chasing childhood memories. I bought a recreation of an old video game console with about 500 games preloaded into to. After fully charging the battery my interest waned before it had even run out of power and it’s remained in its box ever since.
I did similar. An emulation device made to look like a game boy and I love it. Fire it up for the short commute and play a bit of Sonic/Mario/anything you can remember. Kills a bit of time.

20230414_111743.jpg

20230414_111712.jpg

20230414_111605.jpg
That's awesome! Streets of Rage was my favourite as a kid, absolute beast of a game.
These users thanked the author Deej for the post:
sproughton
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^ That game boy is very similar to mine but I think mine is a cheap Chinese knockoff. It certainly doesn’t look as robustly made.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
sproughton
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

My childhood was a little before the advent of Game Boys, Walk Men and the like. I was most the way through university when Space Invaders came along. It was a time when we tended to make our own amusements on a journey, for example: travel chess sets, a pack of cards and so on. Even, dare I say it, a book? Even now I don't need to be entertained on a journey. I might put on the headphones or dig out the Kindle, but that's about it.

I certainly don't hanker for any of the stuff I had as a child. Some of the girls were nice, but I don't suppose they look as good as they did. Nor so I, for that matter.

Now, if I could have had nice watches, Bluetooth headphones and a Kindle when I was 15, that would be a different matter!
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
sproughton
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I haven't tracked down my childhood. More like held onto it :lol: I have a few of the cooler Star Wars and GI Joe vehicles and figures from when I was a kid (the actual ones). I do still track down comics I am missing from certain runs. Although I am far more selective in that arena than when I was a kid.

20200421_191226741_iOS (3).jpg
20181206_122213673_iOS.jpg
20181206_122205767_iOS.jpg
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 3):
Stifjkbarnesthomcat00
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Diving back to 1978 and 9, I started playing D&D at the end of 5th grade with Keep of the Borderlands - the purple module B2. In middle school, the game consumed our lunch period and by 8th grade it was something we played during classes as well. We got the AD&D books, more dungeon modules, Dragon Magazine, nice dice, and the lot.

Flash forward and I’ve collected a few of those items for my teens, who played for some time with a group of friends. It hasn’t struck their fancy the way it did mine. Some of the old books are worth a pile. I didn’t retain mine but my current stash is from buying used.

Also from that time, I still have my Atari VCS. :D I also have my old 15 inch Sony tv to play the games on. Much like D&D, it’s nostalgic. I don’t really play video games, and they are too archaic for my Gen Z teens.

And last to mention: Lego. Particularly the early “classic space” Lego. I got back into Lego in serious way when I was 30, but still pre-fatherhood. I had none of the sets from my childhood and eBay was still newish - this being 1998-9. I picked up some used sets then and amassed more of the newer sets since then. Lego is still fun and relaxing for me. My wife and kids tolerate my obsession but I also respect our shared space in the home.
89F43A7C-F0F5-429D-A67E-596CFE8FDDA0.jpeg
E885F534-75E0-4ED5-ACB5-C15B5A6F3A68.jpeg
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
jkbarnes
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

thomcat00 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:43 am And last to mention: Lego…
No need for me to track down my old Legos - I still have every set! The only down side is that all those sets are in pieces mixed up together in a giant plastic container. I’ve got all the instructions, so I suppose I could put them all back together if I wanted. That would be quite the undertaking. Perhaps in retirement…

Oh, and I just ordered off of eBay the one additional AD&D module I had (U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh). The only remaining missing bit of kit I had was a set of dwarf figures. I’ve found that too, but I’m hard pressed to justify the $100 for it.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
thomcat00rkovars
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

^^^ The little figurines can get nightmarishly expensive.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I saw this morning, what a beautiful, cool looking car, that i definately lusted after as a young man.
Not seen anything come close to this in years, modern cars don't really appeal.
20230419_074058.jpg
Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post (total 3):
KorkkijkbarnesBahnstormer_vRS
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

magicman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:10 pm I saw this morning, what a beautiful, cool looking car, that i definately lusted after as a young man.

20230419_074058.jpg

Regards Steve
I sold one of those for £900, many years ago ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
These users thanked the author kiter65 for the post:
jkbarnes
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

kiter65 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:27 pm
magicman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:10 pm I saw this morning, what a beautiful, cool looking car, that i definately lusted after as a young man.

20230419_074058.jpg

Regards Steve
I sold one of those for £900, many years ago ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
oh no! :shock:
NO PARKING
This space is reserved