Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Car Troubles

Post by magicman »

Hello there

The above is not a reference to mechanical issues, rather an issue that arose, which had me confused and slightly annoyed.
It may also happen to others, who may have the same situation, so I thought, I'd put it in a thread, and not just a rant in the Curmudgeon Corner.

I have 2 cars, both are for sale, I'm using the Astra regularly for work and the other a Skoda Fabia is Taxed and MOT'd but not in use, so on my neighbours drive.
(I'm going to keep the one that doesn't sell first )

I have just received a warning letter, saying the Skoda "Has" to be declared as SORN.

I was unaware of this rule, the car was insured by my daughter a couple of weeks ago, as she borrowed it.
So if she needs it again, she will have to tax it.

I don't see the harm, in it being taxed, and off road.

Luckily I paid the tax monthly, so I've not got to claim a refund, which is convenient.

Regards Steve
Selling
CW C8 Revival

CW 12 Glacier Blue
NigelS
Senior
Senior

Re: Car Troubles

Post by NigelS »

magicman wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:31 am . . . . the car was insured by my daughter a couple of weeks ago, as she borrowed it.
So if she needs it again, she will have to tax it.
My understanding is that the vehicle must be MOT'd, taxed AND insured at least Third Party, otherwise it has to be SORN'd. I don't think the location of the vehicle whether its kept in front of your house, or well off-road is material. This is all about the 'Authorities' keeping tabs on our daily lives and making sure they soak us for every last penny of tax they can.
These users thanked the author NigelS for the post:
magicman
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Forgive me if I’m being thick here, but I always assumed the point of SORN was that you didn’t pay tax if the car wasn’t on the road. If you want to drive a car (i.e. put on the road) then surely it has to be taxed and insured, with a valid MOT if applicable. So if it has all of those, I can’t see what they are getting at. If you’re going to drive it you don’t need a SORN, do you? I’ve never used it because I’ve never had more than one car at a time.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I imagine now there is no longer a displayed tax disc, they need a written record whether a car is on the road or not.

So if it's off the road you let them know with a SORN, but then your daughter can't use it on the road (well, legally). You might still want to insure it, as it might catch fire, or get stolen.

If you haven't declared it as SORN then you need to pay Road Tax on it.

I think you can take it to an MOT testing station while it's off the road under a SORN, but maybe not.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Thanks for your thoughts.

I just think they're should be an option, for the car to remain Taxed, even though it's not insured, and kept off road.

Regards Steve
Selling
CW C8 Revival

CW 12 Glacier Blue
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by malvern_man »

From Google....

You must also have insurance if you leave it parked on the street, on your driveway or in your garage. The police can check on the spot if your vehicle is insured using the Motor Insurance Database. If it isn't they can seize it immediately, even if you then arrange insurance at the roadside.
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Note to self..

Don't own two cars at once !

Regards Steve
Selling
CW C8 Revival

CW 12 Glacier Blue
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

malvern_man wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:54 pm From Google....

You must also have insurance if you leave it parked on the street, on your driveway or in your garage. The police can check on the spot if your vehicle is insured using the Motor Insurance Database. If it isn't they can seize it immediately, even if you then arrange insurance at the roadside.
I think there's an error in the ggl answer.

You have to have Third Party insurance for any motorised vehicle kept or used on a public thoroughfare. You do not need insurance for a car kept on a non public access piece of land. Note that generally public access includes roadside verges and car parks, not just roads.
These users thanked the author Paul Drawmer for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSChris375
There's always time for one more.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@magicman

I feel we should assume that the definitive advice will come from the Gov.UK website.

When you need to make a SORN

. . . . . which starts with

Overview

You need to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) when you take a vehicle ‘off the road’ and you want to stop taxing and insuring it.

Ergo, if the vehicle is 'off the road' with a SORN made, you do not need to insure it.

Simples. :eek:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
Paul DrawmerChris375
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ My understanding from the above is that a vehicle must be either Taxed or SORN'd.

If it is Taxed, it will be assumed to be insured for use on the road and vice versa. I'm sure that DVLA will be checking Insurance databases.

However, if it is off the road and SORN'd you may choose to insure it for Fire and Theft (but not for use on the road.

Of course if you're trying to sell it, the Fabia, while you use your Astra, and you have it off the road and SORN'd you won't be able to take it out for a demonstration or test drive for a buyer.

Hope that makes sense.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England