Cameras

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Meldrew2
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Cameras

Post by Meldrew2 »

Oh Dear. I think that I'm starting to collect cameras.

After a very rainy day in Alaska, my Nikon D40 decided that it preferred life as a doorstop or paperweight instead of the more traditional life taking photographs.

I found a used Nikon 1 with 10-30 zoom on the Bay Of Addictions. All seemed good. Then I got a hankering for a 30-110 zoom. After perusing the same dangerous waters, I found a used one at a good price. However, with such a tiny camera, changing lens is a bit fiddly, and I was worried about damaging the image sensor. Fortunately, someone else was selling a second-hand camera body, again at a good price.

Well, having two cameras isn't too ridiculous, is it. Not really. Then I went on holiday. And forgot to pack the camera...

So - guess what I bought at Heathrow duty free? :shock:

(on the bright size, this one is new and shinier...)
Regularly worn - but listed in no particular order
CW C60 316L limited edition
Omega Seamaster Pro 300m
Breitling Aerospace
CW C60 Trident Pro (London logo)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Cameras

Post by tikkathree »

Meldrew2 wrote:Oh Dear. I think that I'm starting to collect cameras.

After a very rainy day in Alaska, my Nikon D40 decided that it preferred life as a doorstop or paperweight instead of the more traditional life taking photographs.

I found a used Nikon 1 with 10-30 zoom on the Bay Of Addictions. All seemed good. Then I got a hankering for a 30-110 zoom. After perusing the same dangerous waters, I found a used one at a good price. However, with such a tiny camera, changing lens is a bit fiddly, and I was worried about damaging the image sensor. Fortunately, someone else was selling a second-hand camera body, again at a good price.

Well, having two cameras isn't too ridiculous, is it. Not really. Then I went on holiday. And forgot to pack the camera...

So - guess what I bought at Heathrow duty free? :shock:

(on the bright size, this one is new and shinier...)

Attaboy!

Now, don't you have an itch for an IR converted camera, some lovely Medium Format film gear some nice vintage film era lenses and adapters to use on digital bodies? I think I already know the answer..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
gsrai
Junior
Junior

Post by gsrai »

It's easily done TBH and I did something similar with Fuji cameras.

Eventually you'll work out which camera setup works best for you and the rest will get sold (maybe :D ) but there's a lot to be said for home trials.

As you'll no doubt know, better to collect lenses than cameras though.
Meldrew2
Senior
Senior

Post by Meldrew2 »

tikkathree wrote:Attaboy!
Now, don't you have an itch for an IR converted camera, some lovely Medium Format film gear some nice vintage film era lenses and adapters to use on digital bodies? I think I already know the answer..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I still have my 18th birthday present - a Hasselblad 500CM - which has gone unused for many years. I'd love to have a digital back for it - but they are prohibitedly expensive. Certainly using medium format, generally tripod mounted, made taking a photograph a much more considered action - or was that the effect of the limit of 12 shots on a roll?
Omega Seamaster Pro 300m
Breitling Aerospace
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Meldrew2 wrote:
I still have my 18th birthday present - a Hasselblad 500CM - which has gone unused for many years. I'd love to have a digital back for it - but they are prohibitedly expensive. Certainly using medium format, generally tripod mounted, made taking a photograph a much more considered action - or was that the effect of the limit of 12 shots on a roll?
Er, yes, and yes. It cured me of any "spray and pray" tendencies :oops: :oops: Every shot I now frame and expose as if I'm paying £2 for the negative and CD. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by rgb »

tikkathree wrote: Attaboy!

I used to have a Hassy C series, back in the film days when I called myself a pro photographer. How I want another now. And lo, Hasselblad have a new camera coming out - the X1D-50c. 50MP 43.8 x 32.9mm CMOS Sensor. Ahhhhhh. And even Leica has a drooler ... the SL series. Full frame 35mm sensor, a meagre 24MP. Either perfect for that spare $12-20K jingling in the pocket. /dream
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by rgb »

Meldrew2 wrote:
It was definitely the 12 shot limt, as we had Polaroid backs for it and our mamiya 6x7. Would think nothing of blowing through a pack of polaroid film getting the composition and lighting right before committing to the real film. Those Were The Days. Now with digital you can take shots of anything willy-nilly, and upon serious review perhaps one of 1000 has acceptable composition, balanced lighting, good detail, is razor sharp, and has proper depth of field. Razor sharp ... come to think of it, I can't think of a camera since 2000 that offers that. Certainly not like high-end film cameras did. When you took your time and took care.

And yea, it is crazy expensive. The CFV-50c back for your C at a NYC discount camera place is $10,995 USD.
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Meldrew2
Senior
Senior

Post by Meldrew2 »

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I've just had a message from Amazon that a used Nikon AW1 (the rugged/waterproof one) is now available. Well under half the price of a new one. It's drop-proof from 2 metres and waterproof to 15 metres - and it's the one I had originally seen (but not bought) early last year.

This could be the ideal holiday camera - but do I need to buy yet another camera?
Omega Seamaster Pro 300m
Breitling Aerospace
kevin_b1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by kevin_b1 »

I'm afraid to say I have had most of the camera makes over the last 35 years, Hasselblad, Leica, contax, Nikon, Canon, Fuji and Sony.
Currently have have a Leica a Fuji and a couple of Canons.

Thinking about a Sony RX1 Mk2 or a Leica Q for ultimate compact quality.

Boy do I need a lottery win for all these expensive hobbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IWC Mark XVII
Rolex Oyster Datejust Perpetual (1971)
Rolex Precision 9ct gold (1962)
Rotary Les Originales
Rotary Tank
C9 5 day Chromometer
C1 Russell