British Car Industry

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
JimRob
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 4

British Car Industry

Post by JimRob »

In the recent Christopher Ward Magazine the article about the British watch industry quoted the "Formula 1 model". The phrase that comes after this was the phrase "without an indigenous car industry".

This was phrase that stopped me in my tracks. We should, within the next 2 years be making more cars in the UK than have ever been made in the UK in its history.

Ok before anyone says, a lot are owned my by none UK companies. However they are made, designed and developed for the most part here. I would much prefer it this way round than have a UK owned company that manufactures abroad.

We have fantastic car companies in the UK with Jaguar/Land Rover are going from strength to strength. Nissan make more cars in Sunderland than every car company in Italy combined. MINI not only make their own cars but the latest front wheel drive cars will be based on the MINI. Many of the none UK companies have research, design and development centres in the UK.

There are also numerous parts manufactures in the UK that supply not just the UK but throughout the world.

I know we have lost many UK car manufactures but this myth that the industry doesn't exist needs to stop and not be constantly reinforced.

OK rant over!!
C60 Red C3 Chronograph Mk2

Tag Aquaracer (2006)

Emily White and Emily Blue (Mrs Jimrob)
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: British Car Industry

Post by akirk »

agree... the industry is very British - british people working in british factories and a lot of money going into the british economy...

where the ownership sits / final profit goes is of course varied - depending on which country / businessman / VC / owns which company at the time... LR has been owned by the germans, the americans and now the Indians - still the same underlying business

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Bring it back... :D

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

^^^^^^^please NO.......NO......AND NO :lol:
v8power
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by v8power »

Industry that killed LAND ROVER DEFENDER can't be 100% British! (very sad smile) I have all necessary rights to say it as LR and Jag owner and fan.
Watch out :)
downer

Post by downer »

Fully agree with the OP. This nonsense that we do not have a car industry in Britain is typical tabloid, poorly researched rhetoric.
Richard
gbbird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gbbird »

Well said JimRob. Just because a few UK car companies have disappeared over time does not mean to say the industry does not exist at all
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

CW - C60 blue, C60 black orange, C600 tit, FLE13
Gerlach - Orp Sokol, P50, LuxSport. Ball Engineer
Omega Speedmaster. Oris Aquis
Longines Hydroconquest
Magrette - Regattare, DualTime, Moana
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by teestech »

v8power wrote:Industry that killed LAND ROVER DEFENDER can't be 100% British! (very sad smile) I have all necessary rights to say it as LR and Jag owner and fan.
Don't worry too much, the company have finally confirmed that the Defender will still be built, just no longer here in Britain. I'd expect quite a healthy grey import network to emerge, bringing them back in for private buyers.
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
mattlad
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by mattlad »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Bring it back... :D

Word on the street is that the Allegro (All agro) was actually more aerodynamic in reverse than going forward!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Never judge a man until you have sailed a mile in his yacht.

You will be a mile away and have his boat!