Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Beer

Post by Loddonite »

A thread inspired by this brief exchange...
Tyke wrote:
Loddonite wrote:
Tyke wrote:... flat warm southern beer..
Hmmm fighting talk....

Northern beer is colder and fizzier to disguise the taste. :twisted:
I beg to differ..........

http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/beers/

& forget the sheep jokes, save those for our Welsh members! :lol:
I love it when we go off topic... but beer deserves it's own thread... a place where we can take the p*ss out of other people's favourites and alert all right thinking drinkers to the great Ales of the world (and the few half decent lagers) :twisted:

...so... "THE OFFICIAL BEER THEAD" having died a few years ago - lets have another go at it...
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Beer

Post by Loddonite »

... and in reply to Tyke...

So it seems Paul Theakston is behind Black Sheep, though Theakstons is still going and back in family hands after the S&N years. Of the BS beers I have only tasted Black Sheep Ale and though it's available in my local supermarket but I don't buy it ('nuff said). Many many moons (early 80's?) ago I used to have access to Theakston's Best, which I really did like; I thought Old Peculier was fairly unpleasant and couldn't understand why it was so popular I wonder if these are anythink like they were back then.
Of the Northern beers available locally I quite like Jennings (Cumberland and Cocker Hoop - you can keep the bloody awful Sneck Lifter) and Thwaites ( Lancaster Bomber and Wainwright).
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

I'll try anything once.......

However,back to beer 8) .....my normal tipple down my local is Fuller's London Pride.I am also quite fond of their HSB.Sharp's Doom BAr is a superb ale but you don't find it much in these parts mores the pity.....i really used to like Brakespeares but that definitely changed for the worst when the brewery changes hands.Bombardier is good & local to here,a really good drop of Ringwood cant be beat. Having said that,there are a whole host of ales i happily drink so i could witter on for ages :saufen:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Loddonite wrote:... and in reply to Tyke...

So it seems Paul Theakston is behind Black Sheep, though Theakstons is still going and back in family hands after the S&N years. Of the BS beers I have only tasted Black Sheep Ale and though it's available in my local supermarket but I don't buy it ('nuff said). Many many moons (early 80's?) ago I used to have access to Theakston's Best, which I really did like; I thought Old Peculier was fairly unpleasant and couldn't understand why it was so popular I wonder if these are anythink like they were back then.
Of the Northern beers available locally I quite like Jennings (Cumberland and Cocker Hoop - you can keep the bloody awful Sneck Lifter) and Thwaites ( Lancaster Bomber and Wainwright).

BS Riggwelter is nice if you like dark ale. The Coniston Brewing Co http://www.conistonbrewery.com/ is well worth a try & does some decent stuff. York Brewery does some nice stuff also & they have a website, http://www.york-brewery.co.uk/. We also have Sam Smiths in Tadcaster turning out a very drinkable pale ale, so we are well supplied & there is even one just over the hill from me http://www.woldtopbrewery.co.uk/

Agree about original Theakstons - foot wash! :lol:
Paul Theakston sold the Brewery but cleverly kept hold of all the decent recipes - then set up business just round the corner from the old business. Gave them a damn good kicking & when S&N surrendered, the family bought the brewery back for a song!
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

The good lady wife is originally from Lewes in Sussex and there is a brewery there called Harveys. They make some great beer. A few years back when the River Ouse flooded, the brewery (being next to the river) suffered quite badly. But they took full advantage following the tidy up and sold some of the bottles that took a swim labelled as Ouse Booze. Went down a treat.
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

Old Peculier is a delicious, marvellous drink. You are such heathens to doubt its loveliness, especially if you are going to talk about Bombardier as being excellent (extremely nondescript (though nice enough) bitter style which tastes like anything else mass produced). Some of the Jennings stuff is good from oop north, but for me the water in Burton wins and I can't help bit like a lot of the Marstons tipples. I'll confess to having tried and liked most things mentioned on here (including Bombardier) but I won't tolerate blasphemy against good stuff - Andy and Dom are just being soft southerners, I suspect.

That York stuff was very good, I recall, when I used to get it from a pub I frequented when I lived in Lincoln. Fullers is good if around London. Thwaites is mass produced blandness; I am unsold on Jennings stuff, and when I visit the lake district it dismays me when I am presented with their mediocre products. Doom Bar is good for a darker pint, and I like the Ringwood beers from round here - well noted, Andy. They are the purveyors of 49er and Old Thumper, right?

Round here we get a lot of tea (Traditional English Ale) and other similar products from the Hogsback Brewery, and increasingly some stuff from Surrey Hills including Shere Drop - all of which is very nice and fresh, and I have met the owners of both and it's quite small time traditional methods (I was buying some stuff for parties!).
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Not all southern stuff is rubbish, I'm partial to a drop of Spitfire or Bishops Finger from Shepherd Neame once in a while, but then with it's hop growing history if you can't get decent beer in Kent.......

I used to frequent a pub in Sheffield called the Frog & Parrott. They brewed their own stuff on-site & the brewer was called Roger, hence the brews were called Rogermortise, Roger & Out and Rogers Rocket fuel . So strong (15-20% ABV), they were sold in 1/3 pint measures & you got a certificate if you could manage all 3 without passing out!

Don't know if it's still there....... probably a trendy wine bar now Sheffield's gone soft :shock:
Rick101
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rick101 »

Plenty of good Cornish brewers too.

Big fan of real ale. Hope to get to a few more festivals this year.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

My favourites are 2 from Cornwall which we can get around here in certain pubs, Sharp's "Doom Bar" and St Austell's "Tribute". Both excellent. I also love Marston's Pedigree for a session beer and there's always London Pride. I love buying 3 bottled beers for £4 from supermarkets or wherever to broaden my taste buds.

hic hic

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
mikem
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mikem »

Hell all this talk of beer I'm going to have some over my cerial for breakfast before I go to bed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yep nights again :schlafen: :muede: :muede: :muede:
Gots
Tissot prs200
MarcelloC Nettuno3
C70 DBR1
C4 RAF Valley 202 Sqn Special Edition Chrono
Vostok Europe Expedition 2006
C60 trident 2012 fle #xx
C6 Kingfisher

Wants
Fortis B42 Chronomaster
C60 Trident GMT
C70 Brooklands
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

mikem wrote:Hell all this talk of beer I'm going to have some over my cerial for breakfast before I go to bed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yep nights again :schlafen: :muede: :muede: :muede:

Me too.......the post time is always a giveaway :D
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Great thread and great to go off topic once in a while. When I venture into real ale territory, it will be because I am in a pub and ask for a recommendation, to avoid going the usual route of guiness, my usual pint, or bishops finger or spitfire. I went for a quick lunchtime pint here in Hastings and partook of a local honey brew which went down very well, so well in fact I turned up to an evening party late and had a gaggle of women trying to force feed me with black coffee! All because my partner thought I would do an Ollie Reed.

Other, better remembered, sessions involved Dark Star 'Festival', Arundel 'Trident' and Langham 'Sundowner', with one of my favourites being the 'Trident', for its 'refreshing taste and bitter finish'. Funny how ale can now taste refreshing, when in my early years it tasted anything but.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Couldn't resist posting this......

Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

As somebody who lives in Eastern England, I don't get to see much of the beers mentioned above.

But, I'm a frequent visitor to Robin Hoods Bay, and I love Old Peculiar, marvellous beer!

My Father In Law lives in Devon, and his local sells both Doom Bar and Tribute, not a fan of the latter but the Doom Bar is delicious.

At work in London it's the usual fare, I actually quite like London Pride and Spitfire et al, and I like the selection down at the Captain Kidd in Wapping.

Back home, I tend to drink Guinness in the local, and whatever guest bitters they have on.

I'm realising that actually I just like beer in most of its forms! :)
shrink
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by shrink »

I'm a huge fan of "Black Isle Blonde"

goes down smooth and easy, light citrusy tasting. Tesco round here sell it... but i guess thats probably regional
Who watches the watch-men