Are these UK coins still usable?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Are these UK coins still usable?

Post by jkbarnes »

My mother-in-law gave us a handful of UK coins she had lying around from previous trips for my wife and I take with us. They’re all from the mid 80s to mid 90s. It’s an handful of 1£ coins, some 20p, 10p, an 5p, and some 1p & 2p. Are they still valid currency?

I’m assuming g the few coins from the early 70s labeled “New Pence” aren’t valid any more. :lol:

IMG_7966.jpeg
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Are these UK coins still usable?

Post by iain »

The pound coins are no longer legal tender but the rest in the photo could still be used. It looks like you’ve only got about £1 in change there though so it won’t buy you much.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Stif
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Looks to me like the only ones not currently legal tender are the £1 coins, as they have been replaced by a new design entirely. The new one is 12 sided as opposed to the old, which as per your photo was round in shape.

I’m sure someone else will confirm this.

Old £1 coins can be exchanged at a UK bank for the new ones at face value.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Thanks gentlemen, glad I asked. It’s only 8 1£ coins. I don’t know if it’s worth the effort to hit a bank for just 8£. And the other coins add up to next to nothing, so I won’t even bother bringing them. I’ll just hit an ATM when we land to get some scratch in my pocket.

Thanks again.
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Yes, the pound is now a small twelve. The round pounds might fit in some supermarket trollies. 8 pounds is about 10 dollars so it might be worth changing them if a bank will do so. (If you are lucky enough to find a bank).

Interestingly In the good old days when Britain wasn't quite top nation, but still quite respected (so before WW2), the pound was strong. Apparently we devalued it in 1940 to be worth 4 dollars would you believe, no idea how much it was worth in 1900 say.
Anyway as a result a dollar then was worth 5 shillings (20 shillings to a pound) I don't recall a 5 shilling coin (crown) as tender in my youth, but there was a coin worth 2 shillings and sixpence, commonly half a crown or half a dollar. Crowns were sort of special money, and I'm sure we all have Winston Churchill crowns somewhere in the house (from 1965). It's a shame how far the UK has fallen.

Cockney rhyming slang had Oxfords (Oxford scholars) as rhyming for dollars, but I doubt that gets much use nowadays. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post (total 2):
jkbarnestikkathree
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:45 pm Thanks gentlemen, glad I asked. It’s only 8 1£ coins. I don’t know if it’s worth the effort to hit a bank for just 8£. And the other coins add up to next to nothing, so I won’t even bother bringing them. I’ll just hit an ATM when we land to get some scratch in my pocket.

Thanks again.
Or you could package them up and send them with a covering letter, "Dear Christopher Ward, I've been saving and saving. I've got coins I found on the beach, I've got the tips from my paper round and some old thing my pen pals at the CW Frum sent me. Please could I put a Bel Canto on layaway and I'll send you some more coins next month......" :lol:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 6):
missFiainjkbarnesrkovarsthomcat00Stif
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Do we still have 1p and 2p coins in circulation??? I genuinely don’t know :lol:. I’ve used coins about twice since the pandemic...

I any case the 1p and 2p low denomination coins are so useless now that I wouldn’t bother with them at all. For some reason when I was growing up we called it Groosh - the handful of change / low denomination coins that added up to nothing much. If you check the Urban Dictionary definition of groosh it’s clear we just made up the word somehow. But it was definitely a thing :lol:
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

If I ever get coppers in my change these days I usually deposit it into the charity tin next to the till.
tikkathree
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

iain wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:18 am If I ever get coppers in my change these days I usually deposit it into the charity tin next to the till.

I’ve just realised reading that back that Drew probably hasn’t got a clue what I’ve just said.

Coppers = the low value copper coins, 1p and 2p
Till = cash register
Charity tin you are probably familiar with, but if not many UK charities have a small collection box on shop counters to raise funds. In some shops you’ll even get a choice as to which one gets your change.
jkbarnes
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:45 pm Thanks gentlemen, glad I asked. It’s only 8 1£ coins. I don’t know if it’s worth the effort to hit a bank for just 8£.

Thanks again.
Hi Drew

There's a trick called "Coins across/Cross of India" which requires 8 of the same coins, and I found £1 coins to be fantastic to perform it.
It doesn't require much skill, or slight of hand to master.

If you fancy having a go, I'll dig out a decent instructional video.

https://youtu.be/Ua-8t3r70vg

Edit. Unfortunately I can't find a decent instructional video, and the one attached, only uses 6 coins, I personally think it's much more effective with 8 coins, so I'll keep looking, if I don't find one, I'll make my own.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
jkbarnes
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

iain wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:18 am If I ever get coppers in my change these days I usually deposit it into the charity tin next to the till.
I’m the same Iain, plus I deposit all my loose foreign coins at airport charity box too.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
iain
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:24 am I’ve just realised reading that back that Drew probably hasn’t got a clue what I’ve just said.

Coppers = the low value copper coins, 1p and 2p
Till = cash register
Charity tin you are probably familiar with, but if not many UK charities have a small collection box on shop counters to raise funds. In some shops you’ll even get a choice as to which one gets your change.
Thanks for the translation, but it wasn’t necessary. Till is used here and copper I’m familiar with. Charity tin was easy enough to work out.

For the longest time it was pretty common here to find a small dish at the counter that said “Need a penny, take a penny. Have a penny, leave a penny.” It was exactly what it says. I’d leave my “copper” in there or take a few as necessary to avoid getting a handful of change back. I can’t remember that last time I saw one I those.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

TheBeatles wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:55 am I’m the same Iain, plus I deposit all my loose foreign coins at airport charity box too.
My grandparents used to always give their loose foreign currency to my brother and me as souvenirs. I still have all the coins from over the years!
Drew
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:50 am Do we still have 1p and 2p coins in circulation??? I genuinely don’t know :lol:. I’ve used coins about twice since the pandemic...

I any case the 1p and 2p low denomination coins are so useless now that I wouldn’t bother with them at all. For some reason when I was growing up we called it Groosh - the handful of change / low denomination coins that added up to nothing much. If you check the Urban Dictionary definition of groosh it’s clear we just made up the word somehow. But it was definitely a thing :lol:
There have been proposals to scrap the magnetic copper coins, the 1p and 2p. Apparently there's a huge value "out there" but not being circulated for the reasons you cite; we call it shrapnel down south but groosh is a good word.

Apparently the whole charity industry went nuts 'cos they receive so much income from people's unwanted groosh.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
missF
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I’ve got this old whisky bottle I used to save coppers in. We’d let it fill up and then get our daughter to count it out before letting her put it in her bank account. When my dad visits he still brings a bag of change he’s saved for her, but like I said above my change nowadays goes in charity boxes.

IMG_0435.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif