Are these UK coins still usable?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Are these UK coins still usable?

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:10 pm I’ve got this old whisky bottle I used to save coppers in. We’d let it fill up and then get our daughter to count it out before letting her put it in her bank account. When my dad visits he still brings a bag of change he’s saved for her, but like I said above my change nowadays goes in charity boxes.

IMG_0435.jpeg
I did something similar with my pocket change. It always added up to a tidy sum. Now, I can’t remember the last time I had change in my pocket.
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

While I rarely have much in change, I do have some coins and bills in my pocket.

When I traveled out of the country more frequently I’d have money left from the trip and I’d give it to me kids. They had maps to record where I’d been and the money in those places.

Somewhere I still have old francs and marks and more.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@thomcat00 Backpacking around Europe was fun in the days before ATMs, credit cards and the Euro. You were advised to take the dreaded Thomas Cook travellers cheques, but invariably ended up with wallets full of odd French francs, Swiss francs, Deutschmarks, Belgian francs, Dutch guilders, Italian lire, Spanish pesetas and Portuguese escudos. Add in big heavy cameras with big heavy lenses, a portable cassette player and a box of six tapes that you tired of after two days. Stamping on your laundry in the shower (if you could find a shower in the hostel). Ah, those were the days. We’re all a bit pampered now.

I never totally ran out of money, but I remember us pooling resources and changing a bunch of French francs in Italy at a horrendous rate. At least Europe was cheap in those days. With the Interrail passes we used to sleep sitting up on night trains to save on cheap hotels or hostels.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesthomcat00
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

@Amor Vincit Omnia my wife and I each had a taste of that in the late eighties before we met. She and a friend traveled from home here in America through the UK and Ireland on one trip, and got burned trying to exchange Scottish Pounds in Wales where they got told the money in Scotland was not equal to the money in England. Hiking the coast of Wales made up for it. Later she went solo on the Continent, and happened to be in Berlin when the Wall came down. She sold off some of her chunks of the Wall to afford bus fare to stay with friends in Italy. (We still have bits of it all these years later.)

Just a year earlier my family and I traveled to Europe on a whirlwind 10 day bus tour out of London: France, W. Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, and more. :D I was 19 at the time. Came home with a sock full of various coins.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
DavidCM
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidCM »

I remember several impoverished skiing trips to the Black Forest ,Germany in the mid '70s.One of our companions told us before our departure that the 1Deutschmark coin was identical to the (from memory) the Sterling 10p coin--or maybe the 5p-- in terms of size and weight and worked in vending machines.
There was a noticeable difference in value between the two coins.I thought of it as my personal effort in addressing the balance of payments at the time.
These users thanked the author DavidCM for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

@Amor Vincit Omnia, @thomcat00, and @DavidCM, I wish I’d had the courage to travel in my youth they way you guys are describing. There’s no way I could have done anything like that. I had a college friend whose graduation gift from his parents was an open ended round trip ticket to Europe. He left with a backpack, a pocket full of cash, and no plan. I wasn’t envious of his trip, so much as his ability to do that.

Shoot, I’ve got everything planned and confirmed for my trip to Wales tomorrow, and I’m still a bundle of nerves over it!
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:17 am @Amor Vincit Omnia, @thomcat00, and @DavidCM, I wish I’d had the courage to travel in my youth they way you guys are describing. There’s no way I could have done anything like that.
Perhaps the mindset was different, being situated in a small country on the edge of the small continent with lots of relatively small countries, each with its own language, culture, cuisine, history, and in those days even currency. And it has always been pretty easy to hop from one to the other. And nowhere in Europe is more than 3-4 hours flying time from the UK.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)