Are these even counted as watches?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
De.medichi
CW-watches: 1

Are these even counted as watches?

Post by De.medichi »

I'm not entirely sure how much this will put the cat amongst the pigeons here, but I'm looking forward to the opinions of the forum.

If I'm counting my wrist based device as a item of function above form, then my Garmin Fenix 6 Ti is part of my outdoor adventure equipment

I'm a keen mountaineer, and use the GPS/altimeter/compass as aids to getting me around safely (as well as always having a map and physical compass and knowing how to use them :D ) I use the stopwatch and timers as aids to cooking in the evening, but mostly (until I get my hands on my new Dune next week) use it to tell the time as my daily beater.

But would you count it as a watch? Or class it as something else?

PXL_20230608_212016837.MP.jpg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photo 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
No matter where you go, there you are.

Current watch collection: CW C65 Dune (White Sand).
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Are these even counted as watches?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’d say it’s a very useful piece of kit. For the things you do it makes perfect sense. It happens, among its many other features, to show you the time in an acceptable facsimile of a traditional analogue watch. It even looks like a watch and you wear it like a watch.

I can see the time in both analogue and digital formats on my phone and iPad. They’re not watches or clocks. My phone, especially when I’m away, is an internet device and camera. Heck, I even had a couple of conversations on it yesterday.

My car shows me the time on the media screen and dash computer. It’s not a clock. I don’t have a kitchen clock, but my oven conveniently shows me the time…or I look at my watch. I guess we are conditioned to look at the time wherever and however we can see it. That used only to be on watches and clocks (domestic or public) - certainly within my lifetime.

A purist or snob might well say it’s not a watch. I wouldn’t go that far. I have never used a smartwatch and don’t particularly intend to, but I’d be interested to read your views after a week or two wearing your Dune.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
De.medichi
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Simple, if it’s on your wrist, and it tells time, it’s a wristwatch. It just happens to do a whole host of other very useful things. The Dune will me a great addition, and much more stylish, for those times you don’t need or desire all those other functions. You don’t want to be late for an important lunch, but most likely won’t need to know the precise altitude of said establishment. :thumbup:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Baser
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Baser »

It's a watch, I wear an Apple Watch most of the time for the connivance along with a medical condition it helps me to control. Personally find it very useful but I do need to detox every now and again from the 'always on' nature of it.
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
De.medichi

Post by De.medichi »

Thanks all for the answers!

For myself, I absolutely consider it a watch. That's it's primary use. Although in an ideal world I'd be a professional hobbiest and be in the outdoors all the time!

I definitely don't have any notifications come through the watch though. I try to be mindful of remaining unplugged as much as possible, which I'm sure everyone knows can be difficult in these days.

I'm looking forward, however, to wearing something smaller and slimmer for my day-to-day life and the beauty of an analogue instrument on my wrist to tell the time. Something complex doing something simple, as it were.

I've already have ideas for at least watches 2 & 3 to come, but I'll definitely sit on those until I've had a chance to enjoy the dune when I get it next weekend :D
No matter where you go, there you are.

Current watch collection: CW C65 Dune (White Sand).
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

It's a watch. It's a digital product which goes on the wrist. If you're still in doubt please see Casio.
20230609_161952.jpg
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 2):
De.medichiStif
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
dsb18
Junior
Junior

Post by dsb18 »

I have a 3 year old Apple watch and I would never sell it, because every few weeks I charge it up and wear it to work and it convinces me why I wear mechanical watches.
If I didnt have it, I would be tempted every now again to buy a smart watch, only to regret it later.
It works for me.
These users thanked the author dsb18 for the post (total 2):
De.medichiStif
David
Bremont MBIII, C65 Aquitaine, C63 Colchester, C63 Sealander (White and Green), Oris Diver, Omerga Seamaster 300