Are regional nicknames offensive now?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Are regional nicknames offensive now?

Post by jkbarnes »

Macdaz wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:21 pm As an example of context, I’m often called baldy by family and friends. I don’t mind. It’s factually accurate and it’s meant affectionately. At work I was once introduced by a Senior manager to a member of the Cabinet Office as baldy. Not acceptable. If I don’t know you, and you call me baldy, it’s offensive.
It’s kind of like with family. I can call my brother a dumb*ss and rip him up and down. But if you say something about him, then we have a problem.
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

exHowfener wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:36 pm
f they don’t like it or are offended that’s how they feel, I can’t argue that they are in some way wrong to be offended. They are. End of debate
Perhaps then a different Bob Dylan quote?

"You're right from your side, and I'm right from mine"

Whilst I feel that some people look for offence where none is meant, it's up to them. I'm not personally offended by names etc. You know if it's "banter" if the person giving it out can take it too. Preferably out of earshot of more sensitive souls!
And yet it's this banter that currently causes so much strife in the world. In a short few years common epithets are now banned. Guy Gibson's dog, the major in Fawlty towers, so many words now that are not acceptable, and relegated to being just first-letter-words, books being rewritten, triggers being identified, and JK Rowling being cancelled. To me, it goes the whole gamut from reasonable to completely unreasonable. it's crazy.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
kiter65
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

kiter65 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:46 pm A few months back I was dispatching an order to a customer, on handing it over I said ‘here’s you order mate’ .....his response was....’ I an’t your f****** mate, I don’t know you’ and walked off. I thought that was a little harsh :lol:
This one surprised me! Seems a shame to reject a title or ‘nickname’ that could really be called a term of endearment. In Scotland, depending on the place or situation or who I’m talking to I might be called Doll or Hen or Pal or Buddy or Mate. All good!

When I was in hospital the nurses were amazing. They called me darling, sweetheart, honey. Out in the world this could definitely be patronising and uncalled for, but I was so broken up that it really meant a lot. I told them that, and they said they were just very sensitive to people who didn’t like it - not everyone appreciated it.
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 3):
kiter65Stiftikkathree
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Regarding offense, if someone punches you in the nose, irrespective of whether they were just playing or intending to harm you, you determine if you’re hurt, not the one throwing the punch.

Regional nicknames and their usage will vary with their intent. Being American, I’ve only heard a few of those used for regions in the British Isles. And most of them I’ve learned from tv & movies, or from groups like this. Consequently I would not use them because I’m not familiar with them and the appropriate context for their use.

Here in the US the regional nicknames can often carry a class connotation as well. Knowing your audience is important.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Stif
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

A slight twist but this shows how times they really are a'changing. Over fifty years ago I travelled overland from the UK to Australia and got a job as a jackaroo on a cattle station in the Northern Territory. I was immediately tagged 'The Pom'. In 2003 my daughter married an Aussie and lives in Sydney. Not once when we've visited in the last twenty years have I ever been called a Pom and when I asked one of my daughter's friends why not, I was told its considered an offensive term. I have to say I was rather disappointed; back in the day it was a term of 'mateship'.
PS.'Pom' is said to have come from the convicts who were transported in the first half of the C19th. and referred to as Prisoner of Mother England.
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Hello there.

My best Pals nickname for me, can't be repeated here, imagine the most offensive swear word possible, then adapt the "Boaty McBoatface" name to suit, That's me !
And being a Spurs (Tottenham fan) I get called and use the "Y" word often. I'm not sure of the rules on that one, obviously it's been use for many years, and it's in common use, for home and away fans. It doesn't offend me, but I presume many don't like it, and would like to see it fade away, like the Club !

Regarding the term "Jock" I find the Cockney version "Sweaty" far worse.
I don't use these words, I use the Sean Connery "Scotishhhh"

My 3 best friends are all of Irish Decent, again the names I call them, cannot be repeated hear, Most are a variation of "Paddy" but I would never use the M word.
Is it right to use these terms, even on Friends?

Strange thing Language. Words can be powerful, so apologies, if any of the above is offensive.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

magicman wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:40 am ….. imagine the most offensive swear word possible, then adapt the "Boaty McBoatface" name to suit, That's me !

ManchesterUnited McManchesterUnitedFace!!!!

Wow, he wouldn’t be my friend for long coming out with language like that!!!!!!
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesmagicman
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

iain wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:55 am ManchesterUnited McManchesterUnitedFace!!!!
Be careful, this is getting very near the knuckle. People will start using the L word next. You wouldn’t want us to lock the thread, would you?
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
iain
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^ Sorry Sir.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ I should think so! :lol:

Regarding names for football supporters, they are hardly likely to be complimentary regarding local and same-league rivals, given the tribalism inherent in football. However, the word @magicman refers to in the context of Tottenham supporters is way beyond the pale, given its racial connotations.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

magicman wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:40 am Hello there.

My best Pals nickname for me, can't be repeated here, imagine the most offensive swear word possible, then adapt the "Boaty McBoatface" name to suit, That's me !
And being a Spurs (Tottenham fan) I get called and use the "Y" word often. I'm not sure of the rules on that one, obviously it's been use for many years, and it's in common use, for home and away fans. It doesn't offend me, but I presume many don't like it, and would like to see it fade away, like the Club !

Regarding the term "Jock" I find the Cockney version "Sweaty" far worse.
I don't use these words, I use the Sean Connery "Scotishhhh"

My 3 best friends are all of Irish Decent, again the names I call them, cannot be repeated hear, Most are a variation of "Paddy" but I would never use the M word.
Is it right to use these terms, even on Friends?

Strange thing Language. Words can be powerful, so apologies, if any of the above is offensive.

Regards Steve
I imagine the F word is quite offensive with respect to the Irish. I remember in the comedy Mike Bassett England Manager it caused a bit of a battle. I don't mean the standard F word intensive.

I think the Y word is pretty offensive. I'm surprised even Spurs fans use it for themselves.

@Amor Vincit Omnia. Steve, were you serious about locking the thread? I hope not. :D
Amor Vincit Omnia

@JAFO Of course…not.
Steve

tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Well my friday postman calls me mate but I'm really not his mate or his buddy. Not just because I grew up with the idea that only mates could call each other mate. Actually it would more likely have been owd cock back then.
I want to return his greeting with "you ****" word beginning and ending with letter T with a W in there is auto edited but he's such an unpleasant customer that I won't engage with him. I know he doesn't mean it and I'll bet it's not part of Post Office customer service training.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

This is what I had in mind with the whole “I’m not your mate” thing:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/tRfKdNxIOcQ[/youtube]

Alright I’ve edited it 10 different ways and can’t get the video to embed!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Our dogs have to deal with much worse than us :lol:

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 6.55.03 AM.png
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesmissF
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton