Are regional nicknames offensive now?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Are regional nicknames offensive now?

Post by tikkathree »

Everybody assumes the right to be offended by whatever takes their fancy these days. It's as if the present times have forgotten the word "banter" and the fact that life goes better if we all just get along.

I'd venture to suggest that it's those with a background in the militarynwho are most likely to be at ease with being called by their regional/national sobriquet. In me circle of friends I've got Taffys (Taffies?), Sweaties (of all things), Geordies, Yanks, Canucks and Irish. I feel relatively confident that standing in the way of harmful ordnance focuses the mind on what causes real injuries.

I'd agree that the only real measure of offence taken rests with the subject person, not with an audience of bystanders. You can't be offended on my behalf if someone calls me "specky four eyes": I'm not offended either.
jkbarnes wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:26 pm
Being called a Yank by a Brit (is that offensive?)
Not to this Brit.
, not offensive. Being called a Yankee by a southerner is almost always intended to be an insult. Redneck or hillbilly for a southerner, always meant as an insult.
My siblings are happy to describe themselves as rednecks but then they are Wyoming born and raised.

@missF makes an excellent point about if use is intended to “other” somebody, if you’ll allow me to use that word as a verb.
Do we mean ascribing a notional group identity such as place of origin, hair colour, gender preference, the wrong trainers etc? You're allowed. :lol:

The "younger generation"? Haven't they always caused problems for their elders? :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:43 pm My siblings are happy to describe themselves as rednecks but then they are Wyoming born and raised.
I’d say rednecks can call each other rednecks. But if a non-redneck calls a redneck a redneck, they’ll likely take offense. And I’ll clarify, redneck is not confined just to southerners.

For the non-Americans, redneck was used as an insult to identify someone who farmed his own land as opposed to having slaves or later tenants who farmed it for him, or who was a tenant farmer himself. So red neck because he worked out in the sun all day, as opposed to a gentleman planter. Definitely a put down, not a geographic reference.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
tikkathreeStif
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:43 pm I feel relatively confident that standing in the way of harmful ordnance focuses the mind on what causes real injuries.
Brilliant line! :lol: :clap:
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Sticks and stones.

For Heaven's sake.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post:
Chris375
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I imagine most offensive names are used by one nation for members of another nation,. There's probably a bit more jocularity for regions of the same country. Maybe the USA is so big that this doesn't quite apply. :D
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

A few months back I was dispatching an order to a customer, on handing it over I said ‘here’s you order mate’ .....his response was....’ I an’t your f****** mate, I don’t know you’ and walked off. I thought that was a little harsh :lol:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

kiter65 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:46 pm A few months back I was dispatching an order to a customer, on handing it over I said ‘here’s you order mate’ .....his response was....’ I an’t your f****** mate, I don’t know you’ and walked off. I thought that was a little harsh :lol:
:shock: Wow!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
kiter65
Drew
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

scooter wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:02 pm Sticks and stones.

For Heaven's sake.

scooter
Let's keep Gods, all Gods out of this. :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

kiter65 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:46 pm A few months back I was dispatching an order to a customer, on handing it over I said ‘here’s you order mate’ .....his response was....’ I an’t your f****** mate, I don’t know you’ and walked off. I thought that was a little harsh :lol:
I prefer a "Ooh Sir, Suits you, Sir," to mate. Purveyors of fruit and veg on the street market might get away with Darling and Love, but it can come over a bit Rusk, from Hitchcock's Frenzy. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
kiter65
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I think this is where the French score quite highly. I know they sometimes get a bad press for seeming rude and offhand, but whatever establishment you walk into you will almost invariably be called Monsieur or Madame. It sounds pretty old-fashioned but it works. Personally I don’t like being addressed as “buddy” or “my man” by some 19-year-old chap working in the Co-op.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I wouldn’t really be offended by someone addressing me as Jock, although I’d probably be surprised as I find it quite an antiquated term that I’ve seldom heard used. Most of my direct work colleagues are from the NE of England and Yorkshire, I occasionally take a bit of ribbing for being Scottish (which I don’t mind) but haven’t being called the “J” word :lol:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

To my mind this links in with the Pet Pronunciation Hates topic / thread that was running ten days ago as we all, determined by age, upbringing, education etc., have our own ways and outlook on life.

There's no right or wrong to this; it's what each of us determines.

Overall though, I think Bob Dylan knew a thing or two;-

. . . . . . . . . . .

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 4):
Amor Vincit OmniajkbarnesmissFStif
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:09 pm
There's no right or wrong to this; it's what each of us determines.
I fundamentally disagree with that statement, and using Bob Dylan to illustrate it misses a key point.

What may have been 'acceptable' in the past doesn't mean that it was right in the past - it was still wrong.

I'm a 66 year old man who was raised on a council estate in south London (nothing wrong with that of course) and some of the things I heard and said back in the 60s and 70s makes me shudder with shame - even if I didn't fully appreciate at the time it was wrong.
These users thanked the author BobMunro for the post:
Stif
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

It’s all about context and intent.

My rules of thumb:

If I don’t know someone we’ll enough to know they won’t be offended by a nickname, I don’t use it.

If somebody tells me they don’t like being called something, I don’t call them it. ~ If they don’t like it or are offended that’s how they feel, I can’t argue that they are in some way wrong to be offended. They are. End of debate. I then have a choice, to offend them or not. That even comes down to things like being called David not Dave, or Joanne not Jo.

As an example of context, I’m often called baldy by family and friends. I don’t mind. It’s factually accurate and it’s meant affectionately. At work I was once introduced by a Senior manager to a member of the Cabinet Office as baldy. Not acceptable. If I don’t know you, and you call me baldy, it’s offensive.
These users thanked the author Macdaz for the post (total 6):
jkbarnesJAFOmissFkiter65Stifgannet
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

f they don’t like it or are offended that’s how they feel, I can’t argue that they are in some way wrong to be offended. They are. End of debate
Perhaps then a different Bob Dylan quote?

"You're right from your side, and I'm right from mine"

Whilst I feel that some people look for offence where none is meant, it's up to them. I'm not personally offended by names etc. You know if it's "banter" if the person giving it out can take it too. Preferably out of earshot of more sensitive souls!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left