Anyone Else Into Building And Painting Model Kits

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Anyone Else Into Building And Painting Model Kits

Post by malvern_man »

After not picking up a model kit and a pot of paint for over 25 years my son persuaded me to have a go again, mainly because I took an interest in his recent 'obsession' with building and painting Warhammer figures.

Here's what mine came out like, it's a Space Marines Primaris Invader ATV.

It's the first time that I've attempted to do a diorama base too.

These users thanked the author malvern_man for the post (total 10):
MistaFroggyGChris375JAFOStifscooterrkovarsjkbarnescincfleetthomcat00Greatpotfarm
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Anyone Else Into Building And Painting Model Kits

Post by watchaholic »

One of my favorite memories of raising my son centers around giving him a model airplane for Christmas when he was 6-7 years old. I forget exactly but he was barely old enough to read the directions. He was so excited when he first opened the package to see an airplane on the box. The look of dismay on his face however when he opened it and saw a big bunch of parts was priceless. Three hours later we had a foot long F14 Tomcat, complete with swept back foldable wings and full decals. He was hooked, and built literally dozens of cars, trucks, planes, ships, you name it. The lessons he learned that day about patience and following instructions were invaluable.
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post (total 3):
tikkathreecincfleetthomcat00
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

That's fantastic @malvern_man ! I've not built models since I was a kid - I used to enjoy building AirFix style kits of planes and dinosaurs, but I was always better at building them than painting them!

I dabbled with a bit of Warhammer 40k, but didn't have anyone to play with and the kits were too expensive for me to have a big selection - I was terrible at painting them too!

I'd love to give it another go though - I think I'd need to clear a decent space for that kind of endeavour though.

Would love to see more of your models if you keep going - much like wristwatches and their intricate movements I'm fascinated by the ability to get so much detail on something as small as a wee tabletop figure!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
cincfleet
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Great model and great job painting it.
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
cincfleet
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I can’t be the only one looking at that model and thinking “That’s a health and safety nightmare”
That person on the back holding the gun, one large bump while driving along and they’re falling out. Leaning back with a heavy backpack on is a recipe for disaster, especially with nothing behind them to keep them safe.

Good job painting it by the way, but don’t try and ride in it.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
cincfleet
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

That’s impressive! I was never any good at building models. When done well and done right, models can be jaw-dropping. My models were neither done well nor done right.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
cincfleet
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Those are impressive details to include in your diorama, adding realism to the base construction model. I used to build static models and I enjoyed doing it. Mostly I was building and finishing cars with minor customization. MPC, AMT, AirFix. I mostly switched to flying model rockets of the low power Estes, Centuri, and Quest variety. And that’s what I still do with limited time. I introduced my sons to model building and they have some mild interest but it isn’t consistent. Until the pandemic I hosted a rocketry club helping kid 7 and up build, finish, and fly rockets. It kept me in the hobby. I’ve been at the rockets a long time. :)
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
cincfleet
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

This reminded me that Greg Jein's model collection is coming up for auction (he died last year). He built some incredible models for Alien, Star Wars, Star Trek among others. There are some examples in the video.

AP Article
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 3):
cincfleetthomcat00Greatpotfarm
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

Awesome job! The paint is great!

I was into planes and cars when I was a kid. They were my primer for all the crazy stuff I have been building ever since.
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post (total 2):
Stifthomcat00
Dan
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by malvern_man »

Thank you all for the positive comments.

I've just started building a Warhammer Lemun Russ tank, then I've got a Tamiya 1/35 scale British Churchill VII tank to build.
These users thanked the author malvern_man for the post:
thomcat00
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI