Any pour over coffee brewers?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Any pour over coffee brewers?

Post by iain »

I’ve just read this article on the BBC about how Starbucks is struggling to break into he coffee market in Vietnam due to the coffee they sell not being to the locals taste.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66167222

One quote that jumped out at me was this line
But he says he rarely drinks coffee at Starbucks because it has "a lighter smell, not bitter and does not suit my coffee taste".
It could be that the Luwak coffee isn’t intended to be brewed like your usual coffee and the flavours, smells and mouth feel you didn’t like is actually meant to be there.

Or maybe like Steve says, it’s just best served locally.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

It’s a long article just to point out that the emperor is wearing no clothes -
Starbucks just sell s*** coffee :lol: :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
iain
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

missF wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:09 am It’s a long article just to point out that the emperor is wearing no clothes -
Starbucks just sell s*** coffee :lol: :thumbup:
I was about to say something vaguely similar. It’s bland and uninspired. If I’m going to any of these places I prefer Caffè Nero. But if I’m out I tend to have coffee at the store where I buy my coffee beans.

I was struck by the opening sentences of the article. Location is clearly important to this young lady, much more so than the coffee, I suspect. However, it’s not just the location, it’s the package and the image that are so important to her generation.
Tu Anh Le loves going to the Starbucks at the buzzing heart of Vietnam's Ho Chi Minh City.
The 26-year-old and her friends dress up for the occasion and take selfies at the cafe.
"Pictures at Starbucks make my Instagram look nicer," says Tu Anh Le, who thinks the cafe is "luxurious", like a five-star hotel. "I get a lot of likes and nice comments saying I look trendy.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:55 am Or maybe like Steve says, it’s just best served locally.
I’d say it’s all the above.

That was a good read, thanks for sharing it!
Drew
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

I dropped by the fancy, high-end Starbucks in Seattle that is supposed to showcase the best their roasters can accomplish and let me tell you… it sucked. Starbucks is a blight.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
jkbarnes
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

Drew, did you see this article?
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:34 pm Drew, did you see this article?
No, I didn’t! Wish I had.

EDITED TO ADD: the article confirms for me that with the grind of the coffee I had, the aeropress was not the best choice for brewing.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:31 pm … it sucked. Starbucks is a blight.
What I hate most about Starbucks is that it’s produced a generation of “coffee lovers” who don’t realize they’re not even drinking actual coffee, but just coffee flavored concoctions.
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I found this map of Europe which shows the amount of coffee consumed in each country.

IMG_0885.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit Omniajkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia

@iain Fascinating. I’m surprised Spain is quite low. What DO they drink in Hungary? It’s a country I haven’t visited, so I wouldn’t know. Luxembourgers are obviously on some kind of permanent trip – I’ve been there and I wouldn’t have had a clue. I know the Scandinavians like their coffee. Türkiye is basically a nation of tea drinkers, though they do like their dark, sludgy coffee along with most of the eastern Mediterranean, Middle East and Maghreb. I’m rather fond of it too.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Many years ago when Starbucks first opened a store in my country, I brought my parents to check it out.

You should have seen their grimace on taking their first sip of their coffee! Their comments: "not much coffee fragrance/taste", and "wow, they're really pulling a fast one on the young people!"
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post (total 3):
Amor Vincit OmniamissFjkbarnes
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Amor Vincit Omnia

@asqwerth Maybe the only franchise in Hungary is Starbucks? Never thought of that! :shock:
Steve

Amor Vincit Omnia

@iain A quick google reveals a number of maps and bar charts, and most of them differ slightly. Some have the Netherlands at the top, though all seem to agree Finland ranks highly. USA seems to top global figures.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesiain
Steve

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^ To be fair Steve, I didn’t go looking for it. I just came across it in an article on different types of maps and thought some of you here might find it interesting.
Amor Vincit Omnia

@iain I would love to find a tea versus coffee drinkers map of the UK, but I can’t find one. I wonder whether there is an age or even a gender demographic? Or a socio-economic one?

When I was a child coffee was a rarity, and by today’s standards it was pretty grim. My family practically drank tea intravenously, which probably accounts for the fact that I hate it (I was usually the one sent to make it). I don’t think I really discovered coffee properly until I went to university, found that everyone was using a cafetiere or filter, and was able to go into the city market where there was a pretty good coffee shop. Buying little freshly ground packets, a quarter of a pound of Colombian or Santos and Java. :coffee: :D
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve