Any pour over coffee brewers?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Any pour over coffee brewers?

Post by iain »

This animal being held by my daughter is a luwak, don’t worry I’d not heard of them either until today and I’m not certain the luwak isn’t a local term for them anyway and they are better know as something else.

Anyway the luwak is native to Indonesia and they like to eat ripe coffee beans, however they can’t digest them so they pass straight through and come out whole.

Someone once had the bright idea to pick these up, clean them, then roast and grind like any other coffee bean. Much to their amazement the passing through the luwak altered the bean and they tasted differently to how they usually do.

Luwak coffee is actually a drink you can buy and samples were available at the place where we met the luwak in the photos. More details are in the other photo.

So how does luwak coffee taste? I’m afraid I can’t really say, I’m a tea drinker so most coffee to me already tastes like sh**

IMG_0565.jpeg
IMG_0567.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
DavidCMStif
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:28 pm This animal being held by my daughter is a luwak, don’t worry I’d not heard of them either until today and I’m not certain the luwak isn’t a local term for them anyway and they are better know as something else.

Anyway the luwak is native to Indonesia and they like to eat ripe coffee beans, however they can’t digest them so they pass straight through and come out whole.

Someone once had the bright idea to pick these up, clean them, then roast and grind like any other coffee bean. Much to their amazement the passing through the luwak altered the bean and they tasted differently to how they usually do.

Luwak coffee is actually a drink you can buy and samples were available at the place where we met the luwak in the photos. More details are in the other photo.

So how does luwak coffee taste? I’m afraid I can’t really say, I’m a tea drinker so most coffee to me already tastes like sh**
Very cool! It’s also known as civet coffee. I’ve had it before. I can’t say that I tasted a notable difference, but I think that’s more attributable to the brewing method when I had it. Genuine civet coffee is crazy expensive, and there are a lot of fake beans out there. I’d very much like to try genuine the real deal brewed expertly.

It’s my understanding it originated in French Indochina with coffee plantation workers. As all the beans were grown for export, they scavenged what they could find to make coffee.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Regarding coffee, while I wasn’t eager to get home to the suburban hellscape that is the metro DC area nor to the horrid humidity of a Virginia summer, it was nice to get home to my AeroPress and a well brewed cup of coffee!

IMG_8183.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Stif
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

@jkbarnes Your story about coffee plantation workers certainly sounds like it might be true.

This was at a coffee plantation up in the hills in Bali and we saw the luwak beans in all their different states, “fresh”, clean, roasted, and ground. Before finally getting to try a sample. The 50,000 rupiah price was about £2.70 for a small cup which was cheaper than a Starbucks back home. Can’t say I’m a convert though.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:41 pm This was at a coffee plantation up in the hills in Bali and we saw the luwak beans in all their different states
That’s pretty cool! I’m just a little bit jealous. As for tasting the difference, I’m sure it’s the type of thing that one might need a really developed palette to notice, like with anything kicked up to the next level. I don’t think I’d notice the taste, and if I did, it’s probably the placebo effect. It’s the same reason I don’t buy really expensive wine. I wouldn’t taste the difference anyway, so why spend the money? :lol:
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

The Luwak coffee @iain sent me has been brewed, and it’s……meh?

A few observations:

I was unsure how to brew it: do I follow my standard aeropress routine (which ignores certain brewing “best practices” kind of stuff) or do I go all coffee nerd and measure out exact grams of coffee grounds with precise measurements of water for the perfect ratio? Seeing as how I’m not terribly well versed in the latter, I defaulted to my standard practice. I figure this would give me a reasonable basis for comparison to other coffee since my process would be consistent. [I was wrong about this assumption, by the way.]

The smell upon opening the packet was quite unique, and not the aroma I’m most accustomed to. It reminded me of the Turkish coffee I bought in Istanbul many years ago.

Speaking of Turkish coffee, the grind was akin to what one gets for preparing Turkish coffee - incredibly fine, perhaps a bit finer than one gets for espresso even. This would present a potential problem in the Aeropress.

The brewed coffee gives off very little aroma. This is disappointing, as the aroma might be my favorite thing about morning coffee. The final cup is surprisingly weak, given the ratio of coffee to water for the brew. There’s a mouthfeel I’m accustomed to with aeropress brewed coffee that is also missing here. There was also a hint of bitterness that’s not usually present with the Aeropress. Given the grind size, I’m not surprised by this, as the coffee was probably a bit over-extracted because of it (and yet it still tasted weak?).

With the incredibly fine grind, I blame all of the disappointment on the brewing method. An Aeropress was not the ideal vehicle for this coffee. Nor do I think a pour over would have worked. With the almost powder like nature of the grind, I think a Turkish brewing method or something similar would have been ideal. @iain, do you know how coffee is typically brewed in Indonesia?

Again, I’ve got to give a shout-out and thank you to Iain for sending me the coffee. This forum is a wonderful community.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Stif
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:24 pm @iain, do you know how coffee is typically brewed in Indonesia?

Sorry Drew I can’t help with that I’m afraid. The coffee I tried was served already brewed and in a glass cup.

It’s a shame it wasn’t all you hoped for, do you have enough coffee left to try a different method or was it all used in your Aeropress?

As for the grind, I didn’t see any unground beams for sale where I bought yours so I assume this is how it’s considered best by the coffee producers.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:34 pm Sorry Drew I can’t help with that I’m afraid. The coffee I tried was served already brewed and in a glass cup.

It’s a shame it wasn’t all you hoped for, do you have enough coffee left to try a different method or was it all used in your Aeropress?

As for the grind, I didn’t see any unground beams for sale where I bought yours so I assume this is how it’s considered best by the coffee producers.
Hardly a concern, the pleasure was in the process! And the anticipation of knowing what was coming in the mail.
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:24 pm
The smell upon opening the packet was quite unique,
Given the source, this made me :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

missF wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:52 pm
The smell upon opening the packet was quite unique,
Given the source, this made me :lol:
I assume you’re referring to the Luwak and not me :shock:
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesStifwelshlad
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Sorry @iain I was of course referring to the cat :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
jkbarnes
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The smell upon opening the packet was quite unique, and not the aroma I’m most accustomed to. It reminded me of the Turkish coffee I bought in Istanbul many years ago.
Interesting, particularly your remarks about the grind. Mediterranean coffee is my favourite, but I don’t try to make it at home anymore. I’m often in Greece and Cyprus, so I just enjoy it as a treat when I am there. I bought a little coffee pot on a street in Limassol a few years ago, but it’s never the same even if you buy the coffee in the local supermarkets. Some things never seem to travel as well, and I’m sure location is a big part of it.

Even 12-star Metaxa tastes better in Greece, which is silly really!
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:34 pm Interesting, particularly your remarks about the grind. Mediterranean coffee is my favourite, but I don’t try to make it at home anymore…
Turkish coffee, Greek coffee, Armenian coffee….regardless of the name it’s all more or less the same and to be found in numerous variations throughout the Mediterranean. I bought a little pot for making Turkish coffee when I was in Turkey, but it never turned out quite how I remembered it. It’s a deceptively challenging method of brewing!
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:39 pm Turkish coffee, Greek coffee, Armenian coffee….regardless of the name it’s all more or less the same and to be found in numerous variations throughout the Mediterranean.
It is the same from Greece clockwise, through the Levant and the Maghreb, and also the Middle East and down through Egypt. But you can’t tell the locals that.

It was usually known as Arabic coffee, but after the decline of the Ottoman Empire and the establishment of Türkiye as a republic, it became known as “Türk Kahve”. The Greeks called it “Tourkikos” until feelings began to run high, then it became known as “Ellinikós Kafés”, and “Kypriakós” on Cyprus. The Cypriots are very tolerant when British tourists ask for Turkish coffee, but they will correct you.

What amuses me is when you have taken the trouble to learn how to ask for your “diplo Metrio” in perfect Greek, and they invariably say: “You want Cyprus coffee, double, little sugar, yes?”

There’s a lovely little book I know, simply called “Coffee”, by Claudia Roden. Worth a skim.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:57 pm What amuses me is when you have taken the trouble to learn how to ask for your “diplo Metrio” in perfect Greek, and they invariably say: “You want Cyprus coffee, double, little sugar, yes?”

There’s a lovely little book I know, simply called “Coffee”, by Claudia Roden. Worth a skim.
I have a coworker who’s a native Spaniard (born is the US to Spanish parents; Spanish as first language; spent entire summers in Spain Neil adulthood). He said Barcelona, he’s given up speaking Spanish because they always come back to him with English! :lol:

I’m going to look up that book, thanks.
Drew