Any pour over coffee brewers?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Any pour over coffee brewers?

Post by jkbarnes »

Excellent results @Amor Vincit Omnia! I’m glad to hear the set up worked out.

As for Vietnamese coffee, you’ll need to track down some civet coffee. It’s regarded by some as the best in the world (if you buy into the “magic” I guess). There are a lot of fakes out there, though.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@jkbarnes I’ll give that a miss, thanks. I’ve heard it’s really ****. Expensive ****, too.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

@Amor Vincit Omnia, that was all a bit tongue in cheek.

I’ve had it before, after my cousin went to Vietnam and sent a bag to my aunt. It didn’t taste like anything special to me. That could be because it was brewed in a basic drip coffee maker, or perhaps my cousin got a cheap knock off brand, or because it’s all a lot of baloney! I’ll say this though, it might have been the best drip coffee I’ve had.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaStif
Drew
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

The Sang Tao 8 I like is enzyme-treated to supposedly release the same oils and flavors from the beans as civet cat digestion. Without the crazy price.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit Omniajkbarnes
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:20 am https://www.trung-nguyen-online.co.uk/shop_order1.php

I'm not in the UK though. Never used that link before.

I'm drinking the Sang Tao 8.

https://lenscoffee.com/trung-nguyen-leg ... ang-tao-8/
I’ve bookmarked this and will check it out!
Drew
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

I received this recently, seven different coffees from around the world and they are reusable.
just working my way through and then refilling with my favourite brand "Cos*a" , other brands are available :lol: :thumbup:
Attachments
coffeebrew.jpeg
coffeebrew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I made my first attempt with a French press this morning. I bought pre-ground coffee, as there’s no grinder at our place. The grind is a bit too fine for a French press. Also, no measuring scoops at all, nor a scale, so I had to totally eyeball the amount and guess as to brew time.

While not terrible, the instant coffee we had at the last place was actually a little bit better! Still, with this view in the morning, I’ll not be complaining about the coffee. I should probably be drinking tea anyway, right? When in Rome and all that…

IMG_8088.jpeg
Drew
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Honestly how can it be difficult to make coffee with a Cafetiere?

Put in loads of coffee (you can always thin it down). Pour on boiling water, give it a stir. Place lid on and wait a couple of minutes. Give it a stir and slowly push down the filter. no need to force it, brewed coffee sinks anyway. Pour and enjoy!
These users thanked the author Paul Drawmer for the post (total 3):
asqwerthjkbarnesAmor Vincit Omnia
There's always time for one more.
ricki
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by ricki »

I’m more of an espresso drinks person (La Marzocco GS3 owner). But I have an aeropress. If you’ve not tried that method, it’s worth a go! Great for traveling
These users thanked the author ricki for the post:
jkbarnes
C63 Sealander GMT 39mm
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

ricki wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:08 am I’m more of an espresso drinks person (La Marzocco GS3 owner). But I have an aeropress. If you’ve not tried that method, it’s worth a go! Great for traveling
An aeropress is my normal brewing method! I love it, but I didn’t want to travel with it on this trip.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

Paul Drawmer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:58 am Honestly how can it be difficult to make coffee with a Cafetiere?
It isn’t, Paul, but it does seem that for some people dosing out the exact quantity of beans and hand grinding them to perfection seconds before making the coffee is all part of the ritual. I can’t take it too seriously, but that’s just me.

My little filter has proved very useful on a number of trips now, but I only use it for the early morning cuppa on the balcony. I get pre-ground coffee from the supermarket and don’t worry too much about the quantity. Once up and about, at least in Greece and Cyprus, I can get my favourite coffee ever in any bar.

Basically, I just want to avoid instant cr@p in the room. If I’m staying in a hotel in the UK I ignore those little tubes of Nescafe and have a couple of coffee bags with me.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:12 am …is all part of the ritual
That’s about 80%. The other factor for me is the bitterness. I didn’t start drinking coffee until well into adulthood because I didn’t like the bitterness. If one is going to mask the bitterness with cream and sugar, well then, what’s even the point of drinking coffee because you’re masking the flavor, too?

I started drinking coffee when I discovered the Aeropress because it produces very little bitterness during brewing. It’s almost fool proof in that regard. It took me from a non-coffee drinker who didn’t like the bitterness of coffee, to a true coffee convert.

Back to the French press - yes, it’s an incredibly easy way to brew, but it also produces a very bitter coffee, hence my comment.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

@jkbarnes As with watches, food, clothes, life, the universe and everything, the more we experience the more we realise that there is no single correct answer. “De gustibus non est disputandum.”
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve

NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

A lot of things can cause bitterness. Too fine a grind, over extraction (French presses are easy to over extract, especially if you leave the water in contact with the beans for an extended period of time), and darker roasts are some reasons.

If you want when you get back to the US, DM me your address and I’ll ship you a bag of my favorite light roast. My dad has always been a cream and sugar guy because he wanted to mask the bitterness but changed his ways when he tried a lighter roast.

As far as travel goes, I normally either travel with an Aeropress and some filters and have a good local coffee shop grind a bag for me, or, like I did in India and Vegas, I’ll bring a bag and a hand grinder. It’s admittedly excessive and works if you have some space in your bag, but it’s really worth it sometimes.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
jkbarnes
ricki
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by ricki »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:08 am
ricki wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:08 am I’m more of an espresso drinks person (La Marzocco GS3 owner). But I have an aeropress. If you’ve not tried that method, it’s worth a go! Great for traveling
An aeropress is my normal brewing method! I love it, but I didn’t want to travel with it on this trip.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
C63 Sealander GMT 39mm