Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
rockchalk06
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: Any pour over coffee brewers?

Post by rockchalk06 »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:22 pm
It'sAliveJim wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:35 pm …but I go at it in a very rock n' roll style without scales, swan-neck kettle and all that facist faff.
Abig part of the enjoyment for me is the process itself. It’s part of my morning ritual, if you will. I honestly couldn’t tell you if any of my “technique” can be tasted in the final product. I just enjoy the process.
It's therapy for me. It's like building a rifle, or reloading. Same way each time. Little bit of order before the chaos call work starts.
These users thanked the author rockchalk06 for the post:
jkbarnes
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I'm not fancy in my coffee and its preparation.

And since I only allow myself one cup a day (health reasons), I just buy respectable packs of pre-ground coffee, and make a cup in a 2-in-one mug+cafetierre like this:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Zyliss-1460-H ... 4JY72?th=1

Mine didn't come with a lid, though. I got it long ago from John Lewis when visiting my sisters in the UK.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSjkbarnes
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:41 pm I'm not fancy in my coffee and its preparation.

And since I only allow myself one cup a day (health reasons), I just buy respectable packs of pre-ground coffee, and make a cup in a 2-in-one mug+cafetierre like this:
Is that like a single serve French press/mug combo?! I love it! I need to keep an eye out for that.
Drew
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:24 pm
Is that like a single serve French press/mug combo?! I love it! I need to keep an eye out for that.
Yep. I provided an Amazon link in my post above.

You might want to read some of the reviews - some of them say a little of the coffee grounds might leak back into your coffee.

Mine does as well, just a little, but then my mug is rather old now (15 years at least) and the seal between the filter piece and the sides of the mug is no longer perfect. It won't really affect you until you get to the bottom where the dregs are.

Mine looks exactly the same as the picture (not sure if it was the same brand though) except there is no spill-proof lid. Looks like the model on that Amazon page is an improved version.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ I would imagine so, Andrew and I use one most of the time. They're great at keeping the coffee warm which is useful as I like to drink mine over a protracted period.

Preparation is simple.

Two gently heaped dessert spoons of coffee, pour in hot water, just off the boil, to about two thirds full. Stir well, place the plunger on top of the brew and leave for a few minutes to allow the ground coffee to sink.

Press the plunger/filter all the way down and add milk according to preference. Drink.

As to the coffee, I get mine from Pilgims Coffee on Holy Island, Northumberland.

They're a small family run coffee shop/roastery with cafe and I have a subscription for a regular supply of their Holy Grail blend, single origin and decaf the composition of which changes from from time to time.

I also have a small Espresso machine which I use when I get time for a special mug; two double espresso topped up with half the same amount of milk.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesasqwerth
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:52 pm Yep. I provided an Amazon link in my post above.
Yes, I saw the link, thank you! Sadly for me, all colors were listed as currently unavailable. I’ll keep an eye out with other sources.
Drew
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

French press coffee gets too over-extracted for me. You have a tight window where contact with the grinds is necessary, then everything else starts to degrade the flavor. I got rid of all my French press gear after I bought a Chemex and a V60
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:14 pm French press coffee gets too over-extracted for me. You have a tight window where contact with the grinds is necessary, then everything else starts to degrade the flavor. I got rid of all my French press gear after I bought a Chemex and a V60
Yeah, I know the French press has its weakness, but I still want to give it a go. What I like about having multiple brewing options is that they each produce a different end product. With the AeroPress, I’m basically making an Americano, as I add hot water to the brew to get a full mug. The Bonavita gives me your fairly standard drip coffee, only better. I don’t generally like Moka pot coffee, except for when I’m in a mood for Moka pot coffee - I have TWO! Now I’ve added the pour over to the mix. The only hole is a French press. I like the mouth feel if French press coffee.
Drew
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:34 pm
NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:14 pm French press coffee gets too over-extracted for me. You have a tight window where contact with the grinds is necessary, then everything else starts to degrade the flavor. I got rid of all my French press gear after I bought a Chemex and a V60
Yeah, I know the French press has its weakness, but I still want to give it a go. What I like about having multiple brewing options is that they each produce a different end product. With the AeroPress, I’m basically making an Americano, as I add hot water to the brew to get a full mug. The Bonavita gives me your fairly standard drip coffee, only better. I don’t generally like Moka pot coffee, except for when I’m in a mood for Moka pot coffee - I have TWO! Now I’ve added the pour over to the mix. The only hole is a French press. I like the mouth feel if French press coffee.
Oh yeah, definitely go for it if you want one (not that you need my permission). I just haven’t found a setup for French press that suits me. I like to have a bit more of a leisurely cup of coffee that French press doesn’t allow for without pouring off into a carafe.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:58 pm I like to have a bit more of a leisurely cup of coffee that French press doesn’t allow for without pouring off into a carafe.
I totally get that. My vision is a press big enough for two good size cups of coffee, one for me and one for the Mrs. I’d brew (I want to give Hoffman’s recommended process a go!) then immediately pour off into the mugs for drinking.

And as mentioned earlier, it’s all about the ritual of the process!
Drew
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Fellow makes a French press. I wonder if it’s any good. Part of what made French presses unattractive to me is the metal screen and plunger that deformed a lot and let grounds up.
welshlad
CW-watches: 23

Post by welshlad »

I have to say I've never really got on with cafetierres (French presses). There always seems to be too many grounds in the bottom of the cup. Plus the coffee ends up stewing for too long in the pot.

I got an Aeropress at the start of this year and it has been a revelation. Easy to use, no mechanical/electric gubbins, easy to clean and coffee that tastes so good that it's practically a different drink from other coffee I've ever made at home - it seems wrong to label them all coffee! :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

welshlad wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:56 pm I have to say I've never really got on with cafetierres (French presses). There always seems to be too many grounds in the bottom of the cup. Plus the coffee ends up stewing for too long in the pot.

I got an Aeropress at the start of this year and it has been a revelation. Easy to use, no mechanical/electric gubbins, easy to clean and coffee that tastes so good that it's practically a different drink from other coffee I've ever made at home - it seems wrong to label them all coffee! :)
You’ve nailed it with both the French press and the Aero press!

Everything I’ve read about brewing with a French press centers around brewing, pressing, then immediately pouring the brewed coffee out so it doesn’t continue to “stew,” as you so brilliantly put it. In the case of the French press (as with a Moka pot) technique makes the difference between decent coffee and great coffee.

And for my money, the AeroPress produces the best coffee, hands down. It’s the reason I drink coffee. The standard recipe/technique as included with the press produces great coffee. Tweaking the variables to ones taste and the individual coffee beans can produce extraordinary coffee, and all at an amazing price point!

Dare I say the AeroPress is the Christopher Ward of coffee brewers?! :lol:
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
welshlad
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well, I went into my favourite coffee store this morning, and they had these: single mug size and one for a big mug or small pot. I bought one of each. I used some of my favourite Sumatra Mandheling beans. Pretty good!

1BE35606-BC3E-4253-8EDE-F0E9A995827F.jpeg
4260A492-3984-49D8-AA6C-EA423D20D6B1.jpeg
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:15 pm
welshlad wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:56 pm I got an Aeropress at the start of this year and it has been a revelation. Easy to use, no mechanical/electric gubbins, easy to clean and coffee that tastes so good that it's practically a different drink from other coffee I've ever made at home - it seems wrong to label them all coffee! :)
You’ve nailed it with both the French press and the Aero press!
So as I said earlier I am not a coffee drinker so this might be a dumb question but how do you get around only making 4oz at a time with the Aero Press? My wife would have that long gone before I was half way done making another batch.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London