Any fans of “Local Hero?”

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Any fans of “Local Hero?”

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m watching, for the umpteenth time, the movie Local Hero. Any fans of it on the forum? It’s a wonderful movie. I’ve wanted to go to Scotland since the first time I saw it.
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Re: Any fans of “Local Hero?”

Post by missF »

I haven’t seen it for years, but yes, it’s a wonderful film.
I was just looking online for some info about Pennan (the village Local Hero was filmed in), and I found this BBC article from a few years ago. BT were apparently looking to get rid of the phone box on the pier. Within a week it had been declared a cultural icon (and also vital because mobile reception in the village is patchy) and BT announced it would be staying :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cxdl7q8npjvo.amp
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
jkbarnes
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

Is there the line "we've a dead rabbit also"? Not sure why I remember that specifically!!

I'll give it another watch.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

RichM wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:33 am Is there the line "we've a dead rabbit also"? Not sure why I remember that specifically!!

I'll give it another watch.
‘We have an injured rabbit also’
:lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
RichMTonywalker
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence or reading this inspired you to rewatch the film. This was published on the BBC news website a few hours ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-65373183
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Iconic soundtrack from Mark Knopfler

Local Hero

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 4):
Chris375jkbarnesthomcat00Tonywalker
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

Also, I saw the thread title on the portal page and thought "that'll be @jkbarnes". Brilliant that it was!
These users thanked the author RichM for the post:
jkbarnes
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have some fairly major memories around that film, all good. It came out in 1983; the year before that I had moved up to teach at a beautiful little boarding school in Pitlochry, Perthshire, where I spent eight very happy years.

And then…that tune! Fast forward to 1992. I had moved south to Norfolk by that time, and my partner whom I had met in Scotland was living in Newcastle. She got us some tickets for “On Every Street”, Dire Straits’ final tour, at Gateshead Stadium. Special location for them, as the Knopflers were Geordies. Guess what the encore was? Hairs on the neck moment!

Oh, and we have a red phone box here in the village. It even has a payphone!
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesTonywalker
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Good question @jkbarnes!

Local Hero remains a big part of my life and here's why. My working career was mostly in public sector management where back then (I dare say it's different now) if you wanted to make a big career move you had to be ready to apply for a new job elsewhere in the country and that was how in 1983 we moved from Lancashire to Suffolk. Years passed and having avoided several "delayering" rounds of job cuts we decided that it was time to move on again and having moved once felt that we could move again. Moving north would give us opportunity to buy a bigger house as, again at that time, house prices tended to be lower the further north you went.

Then we watched Local Hero at least three times and were captivated by the scenery and the sense of being a long way from anywhere. That was it then - the next job move would be to Scotland.

And so it was I was interviewed for a big job in Inverness: it wasn't the north coast but there were hills and mountains, there were big wide sandy beaches and places where we felt we could put down roots.

I started the job, still the highlight of my working career, we'd got a buyer for our house, we were living in fully furnished rental, we'd found a big stone house out on the Black Isle just walking distance from the harbour, beach, the sailing club and views of seals and dolphins. We were on our way to living the dream. I worked with a guy whose partner worked at the local hospital and he told me that all the medical staff who worked there were there because they wanted the Scottish Highlands lifestyle - climbing, skiiing, fishing, whatever.

Then cracks started to appear: we started to miss various aspects of life in Suffolk where we had quietly and without realising it, put down some very strong roots. Bank interest rates went up and our buyer pulled out and with a flatlining economy we had a house to sell "down south" and we took the decision to return whence we came, back to Suffolk and the same house which is where we live to this day. For which we have no regrets.

I still watch Local Hero and smile quietly at having been entranced in the same way that Macintyre wakes from sleeping in the car, the mist lifts and he's in the fairy tale which was the setting for the film Brigadoon. Thanks for the memory.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 3):
RichMjkbarnesTonywalker
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:02 am I have some fairly major memories around that film, all good. It came out in 1983; the year before that I had moved up to teach at a beautiful little boarding school in Pitlochry, Perthshire, where I spent eight very happy years.

And then…that tune! Fast forward to 1992. I had moved south to Norfolk by that time, and my partner whom I had met in Scotland was living in Newcastle. She got us some tickets for “On Every Street”, Dire Straits’ final tour, at Gateshead Stadium. Special location for them, as the Knopflers were Geordies. Guess what the encore was? Hairs on the neck moment!

Oh, and we have a red phone box here in the village. It even has a payphone!
Bit random but I know a limerick that features Pitlochry! I think I read it in a Lesley Thomas novel about 30 years ago. It's a bit rude so I've put asterisks in the obvious places!

"There was a girl from Pitlochry,
who once had s*x on a rockery,
she said to her chum,
those stones hurt my bum,
it isn't a f*** it's a mockery"

Why do I remember such things from so long ago but it made me laugh out loud at the time! I haven't spent enough time in Scotland and tell myself we should go there for a family holiday.
These users thanked the author RichM for the post (total 3):
Amor Vincit Omniajkbarnesiain
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@RichM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I knew her. She moved to Newcastle. It was quite a nice rockery.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Tonywalker
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

^^^^ 😂😂😂😂
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:02 am I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence or reading this inspired you to rewatch the film. This was published on the BBC news website a few hours ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-65373183
It’s pure coincidence. We were cycling through the channels, looking for something to watch when I saw Local Hero flash by. I insisted once before my wife watch it with me, but she very quickly fell asleep that night! So we gave it ago again last night.

It was on TCM (Turner Classic Movies). It must have been Peter Riegert night because it was followed by Crossing Delancey (I highly recommend it, if you’ve not seen it!). My wife loves that movie the same way I love Local Hero

Thanks for the article (you too, @missF). Those were good reads.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

What wonderful memories everyone has shared! I’m glad I followed through with the post.

RichM wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:50 am Also, I saw the thread title on the portal page and thought "that'll be @jkbarnes". Brilliant that it was!
Haha! I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not. A great many of the threads I start tend to not be watch related, which always leaves me second guessing whether or not to post since this is a watch forum after all.
Drew
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:55 pm What wonderful memories everyone has shared! I’m glad I followed through with the post.

RichM wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:50 am Also, I saw the thread title on the portal page and thought "that'll be @jkbarnes". Brilliant that it was!
Haha! I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not. A great many of the threads I start tend to not be watch related, which always leaves me second guessing whether or not to post since this is a watch forum after all.
Definitely a good thing and it is in "off topic" after all!
These users thanked the author RichM for the post:
jkbarnes