Any Diabetics Out There?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Any Diabetics Out There?

Post by what-time-is-it »

Looking for a few tips on good food and drink suggestions for someone who has Type 2 diabetes.

Unfortunately my Mum has recently been diagnosed with dementia and my Dad is struggling with everything that comes with it, including keeping on top of meals, drinks and snacks.

Her blood sugars are high and monitored daily - they should be approx. 12 and it's hovering around 20.

I'm just looking for ideas and brands that we can buy, knowing that they are doing good and not harm - so as an example she has always has a taste for diet coke, which is not good and she is now on Robinsons Double Concentrate Orange juice. I'm guessing this is still bad!!!

As my Dad is not a cook, we are looking for brands of juice, types of snacks that she can have that aren't going to screw up her levels and I can go and buy, knowing that at least what's in the house isn't making things any worse.

Any help will be appreciated!

Chris
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Any Diabetics Out There?

Post by downer »

Sorry I can't help with the diabetes question, but I just want to empathize with the other issues, and wish you and your dad well. It's a tough situation.
Richard
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Cheers Richard, in a perverse way the biggest challenge isn't my mum and her dementia, it's my dad who has always relied on her for domestic stuff, food shopping, cooking etc and getting him to make changes for the greater good is a very slow process.
It doesn't help that he's a stubborn b******!

Chris
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Hi Chris, I’ve spoken to my daughter who’s a Dietitian with the NHS. I’ve PM’d you.
Steve.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Good Luck Chris.

Tough situation to be in and I wish your mum and dad (and you!) all the best.

Hopefully you can get the sugars under control which will ease the situation somewhat.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thermexman wrote:Hi Chris, I’ve spoken to my daughter who’s a Dietitian with the NHS. I’ve PM’d you.
Great work Steve.

Forum at its best.

@what-time-is-it - no dietary advice from me, but just to say as one who used to rely on my wife for cooking, cleaning etc. and now have to go it alone, do bit at a time.

Make lists of jobs to do (on a daily basis), menus, anything.

Just step back and take a deep breath from time to time.

Think positively.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Thanks all, we are trying to make a difference but in a way, my Dad's just as lost as my Mum.
Difficult times.

Chris

Chris
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Sad news indeed.
The BBC has a couple of interesting program's on the subject, about reversing Diabetes with a particular diet. Might be worth checking out their website.

All the best Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Termite
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Termite »

My wife and I are both Type 2, forget the juice, white bread is poison eat grain bread, limit potatoes, no more than 2 pieces of fruit per day.
Forget any soft drink, particularly the ones with artificial sweeteners as they muck up with the diabetes medication.

Not sure your method of measurement over there but our upper safe limit is 8 not 12, with a lower limit of 4.
Basically find a good list of GI levels for food and stick to it severely. The medical consequences of Type 2 Diabetes are not to be taken lightly.

The following organisation is run by the University of Sydney, and is regarded as one of the leading authorities on Type 2 Diabetes. We have found it extremely helpful, especially with the monthly bulletin, all totally free. http://www.gisymbol.com/latest-new
Bill, old wood wrecker.
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by bspj »

I agree with Mr Termite.
I am type 2, have been for 15 years.
Feel free to pm.
Steve
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Unfortunately Im no longer in a position to give such advice.
I had well controlled Type 2 for 16 years and was a typical fat middle aged guy with T2 & high blood pressure who couldn’t walk 20 feet :shock: !
My consultant told me the medication was no longer working so in August 16 I had a Mini Gastric Bypass.

By Christmas 2016 I had lost 30kg and was off most of my meds, by April 17 I had lost 53kg and am no longer diabetic (well,it’s in remission) and have normal blood pressure (with a resting heart rate of 52 from 78 before).
The downside, I couldn’t eat anything and get it to stay down :-(

And today? I’ve put back on 2 kg, which was hard work, I can now eat small,protein only, meals and drink small quantities of liquid at a time ! And no more sickness and loads of energy! :D

Sorry, just showing off a bit, but wanted to say there are ways back from the Edge, but I couldn’t have done it without the MGB.

OP, I hope you can get the advice for your Mum, but, as said above, keep her away from diet drinks, the artificial sweetener triggers al of the bodies insulin defences, but when there’s no sugar to block your body starts to ignore its own insulin, which can mean insulin injections :(
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Thanks for sharing your story Rob.

Unfortunately, we the family can only influence so much and my Dad takes the leaflets, listens to advice from the experts, family etc and then chooses to ignore the majority of it. He's so focused on the dementia and the problems that it brings, that he's unwilling to make other changes such as diet and the food that comes into the house, which is incredibly frustrating as sorting out blood sugars is possible and could have positive knock on effects for both of them.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

Chris

Chris
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

what-time-is-it wrote:Thanks for sharing your story Rob.

Unfortunately, we the family can only influence so much and my Dad takes the leaflets, listens to advice from the experts, family etc and then chooses to ignore the majority of it. He's so focused on the dementia and the problems that it brings, that he's unwilling to make other changes such as diet and the food that comes into the house, which is incredibly frustrating as sorting out blood sugars is possible and could have positive knock on effects for both of them.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

Chris
Dementia is so difficult to deal with, from the outside the person seems intact, however to those close, their essence is missing, just their physical being remains.

This must make it so awful for your dad as his companion/friend has been replaced by a low rate copy!

We went through this with my Mum, and after 3 years we had already gone most of the way through the grief process .
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson