scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

An Item That Defines You

Post by scooter »

I was given this Custom hard shelled briefcase in November 1972 by my girlfriend. I used it daily for the next 41 years until I retired in August 2013.

It had become an old friend by then.

Is there anything similar in your life?
2E3A1EE8-14ED-4121-98CA-6D2D6984047D_1_201_a.jpeg
scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post (total 4):
Richard DjkbarnesrkovarsStif
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: An Item That Defines You

Post by Richard D »

My leather bound Filofax which my youngest son gave me when I retired 10 years ago. It was to help me manage my busy life, it never leaves my side.

91B85918-CE36-4A2B-B9D3-8C252D3A84F8.jpeg
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post (total 4):
scooterjkbarnesrkovarsStif
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

This was my only watch for nearly 25 years. I wore it through a couple of wars, through college and even got married in it. I purchased it second hand in 1991 and can only hope that I have added to the things that this watch saw before I owned it.
20200624_135431079_iOS (2).jpg
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 6):
Richard DwatchaholicscooterjkbarnesTonywalkerStif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

My Submariner Dolphins, in amongst my Falklands Gong. Both defining moments in my life, oh and the 40 years married/four children and now ten grand kids :lol:
CWSubmariner.jpeg
These users thanked the author cincfleet for the post (total 7):
markeeRichard DscooterrkovarsjkbarnesTonywalkerStif
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

This is a fun idea for a post, @scooter. I’ve been thinking about this for a good day and a half now. I think if I had to pick a single item that defines me, it would have to be my Bass Weejuns penny loafers. I’ve been a Weejuns guy for going on close to 40 years now. I lived in penny loafers in high school, wore them non-stop. In the summer I’d go sockless with shorts. I’ve got two pairs, this pair in a classic #8 cordovan color and a black pair with the beef roll. As you can see, these are pretty beat up and lived in, as a good pair of penny loafers ought to be!

IMG_7758.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 5):
rkovarsscooterTonywalkerSoporscheStif
Drew
PL1957
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by PL1957 »

IMG_20220528_154847.jpg
I have to say this defines me on a number of levels.
Motorcycles have been my overriding passion for as long as I can remember, from a boy in primary school trying to reproduce the logos of the British motorcycle manufacturers on his school books. Starting to ride clapped out old mopeds etc. around the fields surrounding the village I grew up in, graduating to passing my test in 1974. A bit of motorcycle racing in the mid to late 70's, honeymoon to the Isle of Man and touring Europe with my wife. In fact I've never been without a motorcycle since the age of 16 - now 50 years.
So why this particular bike?
Because it encapsulates my other big passion which is engineering. I underwent a very traditional mechanical engineering apprenticeship also starting 50 years ago, but like many others gravitated away from practical work to a desk. For some reason I always missed the satisfaction of creating things with my own hands so just over 10 years ago I bought myself a lathe followed soon after by a milling machine. The bike above was created from what you see below using as few "off the shelf" components as possible. Wherever I could I designed and made parts myself apart from things like the fuel tank, exhaust etc. that I don't have facilities for.
So that's me!

Thanks for a great idea for a topic Scooter.
Phil
IMG-20220917-WA0000.jpg
These users thanked the author PL1957 for the post (total 7):
scooterBahnstormer_vRSwelshladjkbarnesrkovarsSoporscheStif
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch
Omega Seamaster 300
Squale 50 Atmos
Tag Huer Aqua Racer
Seiko Samurai Padi
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I noticed a couple of leather items sneaking in there, so I will add one of my own. It’s fairly recent. Back in the summer of 2021, my lovely colleagues marked my retirement with a collection and they presented me with a handsome cheque and a firm instruction to spoil myself. The major item I bought with the money was this lovely bag. They all knew that I wanted to get out and travel again, so this seemed appropriate.

I like to travel fairly light, but I usually go away for two weeks so I have a suitcase checked into the hold. I can’t stand those miniature wheelie bins that people are allowed to bring onto planes these days. They get crammed into overhead lockers, leaving no space for important stuff like a linen jacket or a Panama. And if you do try to put those things up there they are likely to get destroyed. I’ve always taken a small bag to put under the seat in front; the one I had was serviceable but a little dull, and on my last few trips I have rather enjoyed swanning around the airport with something a little more stylish on my shoulder.

586B441B-1CF1-4BFD-BF7D-190FAC0E8613.jpeg
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 4):
rkovarsscooterjkbarnesStif
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Another holiday item is “my shirt”! :shock:

It is one of my least ostentatious summer shirts. I bought it in Lanzarote in 2003, so it’s now 20 years old. Made by Longboard, it’s fantastic quality and really cool to wear. For many years now it has only ever been worn on holiday, and I always wear it on the first night of every holiday. It seems to have become a tradition. After the holiday it is washed, ironed and put away very protectively for the next trip. Weird, I know. :lol:

11677A95-C409-4558-9E67-B5E08E0592BE.jpeg
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
Stifjkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

What a great topic, although it did fill me with some existential dread as I started to wonder does anything define me?

I've got a few nice watches and a nice leather wallet. I have lots of video games and a decent collection of (often bad movies). I have a Timbuk2 courier bag that's accompanied me to work, on day trips and to various countries around the world for years (and is built to last) but does it define me? Do these things encapsulate who I am? Perhaps when looked at all together.

But thinking about it, if I had to pick one thing that does actually define me, it would be my beard (which alone isn't really a 'thing!'). I'm sure if you asked anyone that knew me to describe me it would be one of the first things mentioned.

I first grew a beard at 15 - shaving has always felt alien to me, like some kind of punishment for being born male with hairy genes... (don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a good shave, and in the past have invested time, money and effort into shaving well, with decent brushes, soaps and double edged razors), but I've always felt right with a hairy face.

Over the years I've grown from a youth with a goatee (they were cool in the late 90s...) through phases of short, tidy 'stubble' beards through to full on ZZ Top style loooooong beards (probably 6-7 inches at it's longest!)...but the one constant has always been that I'm happiest when my face is hairiest!

These days I keep a full beard, trimmed with scissors to a sensible length (maybe an inch deep around my chin) - the perfect length to stroke and play with.

So what item defines me - how about these:
PXL_20230510_084429234.jpg
I keep this brush and comb on my desk and often sit at work grooming my face - I find it very relaxing and it makes my beard feel softer somehow.

So there we go - existential angst over (as long as I'm not asked to have a clean shave...)
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesscooter
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Stif wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:10 am What a great topic, although it did fill me with some existential dread as I started to wonder does anything define me?

But thinking about it, if I had to pick one thing that does actually define me, it would be my beard (which alone isn't really a 'thing!').
I think a beard is definitely a thing! That’s a great write up.

For years I wanted to grow a beard out, but my first wife put her foot down. Then I got divorced and immediately grew a beard! It last for a few months until getting shaved down to a goatee that I’ve had ever since. My current wife absolutely forbids me to ever shave the goatee!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Stif
Drew