Am I a ‘freak’…….

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Am I a ‘freak’…….

Post by Richard D »

With the drive for ever smaller watches I’m beginning to feel that I just might be a ‘freak’. I’ve big hands and wrists which served me well when I played rugby but now precludes me from many of the current CW watches, including the lovely forum LE. Anything below 40mm gets lost, the Bel Canto just scrapes through. Hoping that one day the trend will reverse and CW again delivers 42mm plus watches which are not just divers.

Yep big hands…..

531D5297-8B14-4CF5-87EF-6298FE9C03B2.jpeg
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Am I a ‘freak’…….

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

No, you’re not. One of the problems of humans is that we vary considerably in size and shape. Being generous of girth and broad in the beam and shoulder, although of average height, I get very cross with some of these designer clothing brands. Anything in XL from somewhere like M&S tends to fit well, but some of the brands in other stores feel very tight and skimpy in the same size. And when I see row after row of S and M in the sales, it is most disheartening.

I believe my wrist is fairly average, and my hands are not particularly large. I did spend a long time bemoaning the fact that CW never seemed to produce anything under 40 mm. I doubt whether you were complaining back then. I think it’s good that they have a range of sizes in the C60, but perhaps they need to consider making a larger Sealander to go with the current offerings. Not to replace them, though.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Richard D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Nothing wrong with watches that look smaller on your wrist and nothing wrong with having wrists and hands the size of a person that lives up a beanstalk.

However, not complaining about the lack of a head on that beer probably does make you a freak….

:lol: :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
Richard DjkbarnesStif
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:16 pm but perhaps they need to consider making a larger Sealander to go with the current offerings. Not to replace them, though.
That would be perfect……

As for clothing, I’m with you too.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

iain wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:18 pm Nothing wrong with watches that look smaller on your wrist and nothing wrong with having wrists and hands the size of a person that lives up a beanstalk.

However, not complaining about the lack of a head on that beer probably does make you a freak….

Brilliant, I’m still laughing. As for the head, it’s how we like it down south. None of that northern shortchanged froth.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post (total 3):
scooteriain0uatiOW
Richard

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I'm with you on the beer front, Richard.

As for watches? Variety is the spice of life.

I used to subscribe to the 'anything less than 40mm is too small' campaign but, these days am happy to wear 38/39mm alongside larger pieces.

My Duneshore Shallows, as pictured, is 44mm.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Richard D
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:43 pm I'm with you on the beer front, Richard…..

What is this, Freaks anonymous?
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSRichard DStif
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

iain wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:46 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:43 pm I'm with you on the beer front, Richard…..

What is this, Freaks anonymous?
Lol.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
iain
Richard

0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I don’t drink beer, but being a southerner I wholeheartedly support the crusade against a massive foaming head on my coffee.

40-42mm for me, on a just-under-7-inch wrist. I like heft.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
Richard D
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Richard D wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:24 pm
iain wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:18 pm Nothing wrong with watches that look smaller on your wrist and nothing wrong with having wrists and hands the size of a person that lives up a beanstalk.

Brilliant, I’m still laughing. As for the head, it’s how we like it down south. None of that northern shortchanged froth.
Nope. We had a pint of liquid and we had head - it's called bigger glasses. Bigger glasses, smaller glasses: see what happened there? :lol:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 2):
Richard DStif
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

You can have your preferences for Watch size and those preferences may not completely “agree” with wrist size. Nothing freakish about it. From a small survey, the average male wrist is 7.25 inches. My wrist is fully average and I generally prefer watches in the 37-41mm range but I have and will wear down to 34 and up to 45. YMMV.

https://theslenderwrist.com/average-wri ... for-a-man/
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

No it’s just proportional. You make watches that look ridiculous on my wrist look like the 38-40mm ones I wear!

If you we’re to get a 55mm then it may look a little off.

Selfishly, I like the size direction CW and others are going as the 2014 era when I first heard about CW watches even the dress watches were 43mm
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Reading the comments above it seems I’m in the minority. Helps to explain why CW have reduced their case sizes. Still I can feel comfortable in the knowledge that I’m not alone when pouring a pint.
Richard

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Richard D wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:11 am …… Still I can feel comfortable in the knowledge that I’m not alone when pouring a pint.

Don’t let that fool you into thinking it’s right. :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be serious though, let me explain why there should be a head on your pint. This probably is best demonstrated with a fizzy lager in a glass than with a dark ale, but the principle is the same.

Next time you have a beer hold the glass above your head and inspect the head from underneath looking through the beer. The lighter the beer the easier it will be to see.

What you will see are lots of larger bubbles of CO2 still suspended in the beer but trapped from escaping to atmosphere by the head of foam on you beer.

The head of the beer is intended to be there and it stops the CO2 from escaping too quickly and your pint going flat before you’ve finished it.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

^^^^ interesting observation but I do prefer my flat real ale. I guess that does make me a ‘freak’. Lol
Richard