Almost D-day for my Wales trip!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Almost D-day for my Wales trip!

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:27 pm When we picked the car up and the guy went to familiarize me with some of the controls, I instinctively walked to the door on the left, to which he responded, “wrong side, mate.”
I learned to drive partly in France, so RH traffic and LHD have never been an issue. A few years ago in Cyprus, I hired a car (same sides as UK) but it was an auto and I had spent 40 years driving manuals. Fortunately it was a quiet morning, because I spent the first few minutes doing emergency stops! The front seat passenger was under instruction to say "No clutch!" at every junction or roundabout. :lol:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesJAFOStif
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Scrumps here.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

@Amor Vincit Omnia I’m also guilty of doing that the first time I drove an automatic. Thankfully I was on my own so had no one to laugh at my mistake/incompetence *

*delete as appropriate
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

@iain and @Amor Vincit Omnia I owned two manuals and drove them for years. To this day when I have to stop in a hurry my left foot still slams down for the clutch. I don't think that will ever go away.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:29 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:06 pm Crisps are chips and chips are fries…
Crisps are chips and chips are fries…
[repeat until remembered]

Oh no they’re not. Crisps are what you would call chips so you’ve got that part correct.

Chips are chips though and fries are fries. Completely different beasts.

Fries are the skinny ones that go cold as soon as they are served and are like those things you get in McDogfood with your burger. Chips are much fatter, more tasty and are a very different potato based side.
We just got back from dinner at a pub called The White Rose, and I think the chips that came with my wife’s fish and chips might easily be the best chips I’ve ever had. I’m not kidding, they were fantastic - crispy on the outside while light and fluffy on the inside.

I opted for chicken tikka masala, also quite good.

I washed it down with a real ale (Butcombe Original)…after the gin & tonic.

IMG_8010.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 8):
Gar787iainrkovarsmissFRichMajax87Bahnstormer_vRSStif
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^ Great chips and real ale. Holiday goals achieved on day one.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesRichM
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

missF wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:54 pm A fish supper would just be fish and chips. North of England you might get mushy peas included? I remember getting batter crumbs ( no idea what to call it) with a fish supper in Leeds.

I guess none of this is helping Drew and Mrs Drew :wave:
Scratchings.(your batter bits). Marks and Spencer do a decent bistro fish and chips that includes a small sachet of scratchings.

My son just climbed Ben Nevis, he liked Scotland, but wondered what on earth Lorne sausage was though. And he likes the haggis.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:23 pm
iain wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:29 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:06 pm Crisps are chips and chips are fries…
[repeat until remembered]

Oh no they’re not. Crisps are what you would call chips so you’ve got that part correct.

Chips are chips though and fries are fries. Completely different beasts.

Fries are the skinny ones that go cold as soon as they are served and are like those things you get in McDogfood with your burger. Chips are much fatter, more tasty and are a very different potato based side.
We just got back from dinner at a pub called The White Rose, and I think the chips that came with my wife’s fish and chips might easily be the best chips I’ve ever had. I’m not kidding, they were fantastic - crispy on the outside while light and fluffy on the inside.

I opted for chicken tikka masala, also quite good.

I washed it down with a real ale (Butcombe Original)…after the gin & tonic.

IMG_8010.jpeg
I don't know what that ale is. Rather too dark for me. I'll take a nicely hopped light ale, a decent lager or a cider. Rekorderlig Strawberry and Kiwi is good, but a bit too sweet. Enjoy Drew. Are you in Wales or still in London?
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
jkbarnes