A Sunday morning coffee question

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

A Sunday morning coffee question

Post by missF »

There is another coffee question further down the page but that’s a very high level discussion by coffee connoisseurs... I don’t fit that category :oops: :lol:

Right now I drink a mug of instant first thing in the day. It’s fine by me - I share the sofa with the dog and enjoy the quiet time. But my coffee ritual used to be a bit more elaborate (and involved ‘proper’ coffee!) so I’d like some advice from the connoisseurs.

The main thing is that I like my coffee scalding hot, and I wonder if the ‘drip’ methods people were talking about in the other thread cool your coffee down while it’s prepared?
The other thing is that I quite like having a big mug of coffee rather than an espresso size mug. I used to use a mocca (sp?). Are there other ways of doing a big mug other than using a mocca and topping up with extra water?

It should be obvious that I don’t know much about this - please send me down a coffee rabbit hole :lol: :thumbup:
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Re: A Sunday morning coffee question

Post by Martin »

I ventured a peek down this particular rabbit hole a few years ago. It can be a very expensive journey - but it doesn' have to be.
My humble suggestion is in the form of a few basic questions.
Do you enjoy the coffee you currently drink? It sounds like you do. Dog time, me time, quiet time. Most of us will identify with these simple yet vital pleasures.
Secondly, would this time be enhanced by different methods of making a hot drink? Or would it just complicate things.
My guess is that you nay well explore different coffee making - but perhaps your first drink of the day is a pretty good time already.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Martin wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:08 am
My guess is that you nay well explore different coffee making - but perhaps your first drink of the day is a pretty good time already.
:D :thumbup:
What a great answer. I totally take it on board.
Perhaps I’m just seeing it as a small experiment in making a small change in my world. I’ll see if there’s any more advice to be had, and take it all lightly. I’ll certainly never have OCD ( Obsessive Coffee Disorder) :lol:
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Martin »

I realised after posting that our early morning routines are remarkably similar, but with one significant difference! On the sofa with my dog ( whippet, not greyhound but remarkably similar in habits and mannerisms) and a large mug of .... tea. It is the only time I drink tea, after that it is coffee all the way. At the end of my rabbit hole I bought a stove top Birletti and I buy ground coffee as and when. It doesn't make a mugful but it does make a satisfying drink. It is a compromise I can afford. The £500 espresso maker can stay where it is.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Coffee making has as many levels as watch buying, you could pay out anywhere from a little amount to £hundreds.

I don't like tea so coffee is my hot drink but I limit it to 3-4 mugs/cups per day. I'll use a cheap plastic pour over cone and paper filters, or bags or instant so nothing expensive. 1 problem with how you like your coffee is the "scalding hot" part - pouring absolutely boiling water on coffee will not provide the best taste, apparently it has something to do with having to release carbon dioxide (I think?) from the coffee to prevent a bitter taste.

If you want to try for an improved taste without too much expense then Melitta (or other brands) cones and paper filters can be bought cheaply on-line and Waitrose/Sainsbury stock the paper filters and they'll both have loads of different coffees to try. You'll have a hot mug of coffee but not a "scalding hot" one.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
missF
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

All I can offer is my own experience. I normally drink tea/water in the main during the day but do have normally one coffee per day. I never drink instant so it is either a coffee from a cafe if out and about, or if at home we use fresh ground coffee and a cafetiere. You can fill the cafetiere with boiling water and it is almost instantly ready so the coffee is super hot. We also have hot milk in our coffee, usually heat it in a small saucepan, on the induction hob if you have one that can be done in literally seconds...or put a small cup of milk in the microwave, again takes seconds.

So I think you make your daily brew with a small cafetiere, a cup of milk in the microwave (an added tip is to then drink out of that cup which is warm and helps keeps your coffee hot), and lob in a teaspoon of hot chocolate for the perfect mocha :coffee:

Alternatively stick to the instant which is less of a faff :lol:

As a PS I'd add that we have never owned a coffee machine, but on holiday in Seville recently our hotel room had one of the Nespresso machines with the pods and these were quite impressive, easy and quick to use. There was also a microwave in the room for the hot milk!
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
missF
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

*moka :lol:
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:53 am 1 problem with how you like your coffee is the "scalding hot" part - pouring absolutely boiling water on coffee will not provide the best taste, apparently it has something to do with having to release carbon dioxide (I think?) from the coffee to prevent a bitter taste.
Ah, good point well taken :thumbup:
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Mick is correct, coffee should be made with water off the boil, otherwise the coffee is scalded.

Lindsay - do you have milk coffee? Adding hot milk to your coffee after you’ve made it, avoids the scalding problem. Thinking out loud, adding hot water to your prepared coffee at double strength would give you an Americano of sorts (though technically, an Americano is hot water on espresso).

A small french press / cafétiere would serve you well here (about £10), as you would want to make it fresh for each cup. (Hint: Used coffee grounds are great for compost).
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post (total 2):
missFStif
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Just discovered coffee bags :shock:
This makes me squirm slightly :lol:
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Coffee ranks joint first in my idiosyncratic hobbies alongside watches.

I am a strictly espresso man, after a life affirming experience several years ago in a coffee shop in Leeds.

My personal set up is a delonghi dedica (bought for £40 off eBay) a bottomless portafilter (£20 Amazon) and a Timemore C2 grinder (£50 amazon). With this I’m in 7th heaven.

Honestly though if I were to go for a lazy coffee on the sofa with a dog, a decent French press with a good freshly ground bean is where I would go.

Regardless of whether you choose moka pot, press, drip coffee etc the biggest difference taste wise is from grinding your own beans. No need for a fancy grinder if you’re not making espresso, just a £20 hand grinder will do.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

johncolescarr wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:22 am Honestly though if I were to go for a lazy coffee on the sofa with a dog, a decent French press with a good freshly ground bean is where I would go.
:thumbup:
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:18 am
Martin wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:08 am
:D :thumbup:
What a great answer. I totally take it on board.
Perhaps I’m just seeing it as a small experiment in making a small change in my world. I’ll see if there’s any more advice to be had, and take it all lightly. I’ll certainly never have OCD ( Obsessive Coffee Disorder) :lol:
Honestly, I'd encourage you to try a different coffee blend/roast.

For the last 55 years I've been brewing "coffee for one" using coffee grounds several times a day seven days a week and I'd argue that kit - moka pot, french press, all those other methods are just part of the whole kitchen gadget industry: use 'em or don't use 'em.

What really makes the difference is the coffee you're drinking, the blend and the roast. Most supermarkets offer a bewildering range of coffees but you need to find what you like. I'll wager there's some kind of craft/artisanal coffee roaster in the toon where you live. This one is in Ipswich, so nowhere near you, but the amount of information about flavours etc is really useful. https://coffeelink.com/collections/grounds-beans

Just coming back to kit for a minute:

1.If you aren't above charity shop shopping, you can often pick up a french press or a moka pot at a good deal.
2. I think home grinding is a distraction which gets in the way of enjoying a pleasant hot drink.

It's just occurred to me that if you treat hot coffee as "just a hot drink" and compare it with other hot drinks, tea specifically, we tend to focus on the blend of tea as the source of flavour and we don't faff about with a load of kit.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Stif
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

tikkathree wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:12 am It's just occurred to me that if you treat hot coffee as "just a hot drink" and compare it with other hot drinks, tea specifically, we tend to focus on the blend of tea as the source of flavour and we don't faff about with a load of kit.
Great point :D
Ritual can be important though - and often requires some sort of totem or piece of ritualistic kit. I don’t think a nespresso machine would be a convincing ritualistic object for me :lol:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

My simple experience.

I use a Cafetiere Mug with ground coffee most of the time, which takes not much longer to prepare than a mug of instant coffee.

Two desert spoons of coffee. 3/4s fill with off the boil water. Place the plunger/filter on top of the water, leave to brew for a few minutes.

Depress the plunger, top up with milk (cold for me to cool to a drinkable temperature). Drink.

The mug is double skinned / insulated to keep the drink warm.

Simples. :eek: :eek:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England