Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: A Sunday morning coffee question

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:17 am
tikkathree wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:12 am It's just occurred to me that if you treat hot coffee as "just a hot drink" and compare it with other hot drinks, tea specifically, we tend to focus on the blend of tea as the source of flavour and we don't faff about with a load of kit.
Great point :D
Ritual can be important though - and often requires some sort of totem or piece of ritualistic kit. I don’t think a nespresso machine would be a convincing ritualistic object for me :lol:
Not quite sure why I'm reverting to type but "Eeh lass, tha can't beat a good ritual - fetch us me cap an' I'll run me dog on't moor."

Actually I do have a "kind of" two part coffee ritual in most places serving coffee:

Part 1. Me: "Can I please have a decaf cappucino and a mocha with an extra shot?" (Mocha always comes with an extra shot so what I'm asking for is a three shot cup.)
Part 2. Shop assistant: "Is that three shot mocha decaffeinated too?" Me: :crazy: :kopfwand: :kopfwand:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

tikkathree wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:37 am :crazy: :kopfwand: :kopfwand:
I always thought I was a simple soul with simple tastes, but it’s just that I can’t see the point in remembering a drink that sounds like this when you order it:

venti quad ristretto whole milk latte, 3 scoops of vanilla bean powder steamed in, 1.5 pumps of peppermint, 2 packets of honey, extra hot, well stirred, light foam…

I panic when I ask for black coffee and the barista comes back with questions! :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
JAFOtikkathree
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:59 am
tikkathree wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:37 am :crazy: :kopfwand: :kopfwand:
I always thought I was a simple soul with simple tastes, but it’s just that I can’t see the point in remembering a drink that sounds like this when you order it:

venti quad ristretto whole milk latte, 3 scoops of vanilla bean powder steamed in, 1.5 pumps of peppermint, 2 packets of honey, extra hot, well stirred, light foam…

I panic when I ask for black coffee and the barista comes back with questions! :lol:
Think it's safe to say this is a first world issue.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
missF
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I have a Delonghi Distinta coffee machine, which hasn't been used for a while, and needs a decent cleaning cycle. I'm the only one who drinks it, and it's a faff to make sure I use it every day, although it's an enjoyable drink.

I am currently using a M&S instant coffee powder that's 100% arabica, and produces a reasonable crema, although I take it with milk. It's like the Nescafé Azera or Kenco Millicano. I think it's a nice coffee, and well priced at £5.25 for 200gms. I like my hot drinks to be hot, like @missF mentioned. Both coffee and hot chocolate served in cafes often come less hot than I like. I find you don't get long enough to enjoy a "hot" drink when it cools very quickly.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
missF
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I have your solution! Get yourself an AeroPress. It’s what turned me on to coffee (no bitterness!), it can go anywhere from dead-ass simple to as complicated as you want it to be (if you fall down the rabbit hole, that is), and brewing with it is definitely a bit of a ritual in the morning. One of the (many!) things that won my wife over was watching me make coffee in the morning. She loved the ritual-like nature of it and how much I enjoyed doing it for her.

Basic procedure:
1. Grind beans and place in the press
2. Pour hot water over the beans, stir for 10 seconds
3. Press the brewed coffee through the filter into your mug.

Where the complication (if you want that) comes into play is in the infinite number of variations on that procedure - grind size, brew time, water temp.

Two caveats:
1. I’d recommend grinding beans fresh, as the AeroPress works best with a grind finer than pre-ground coffee. For me, grinding the beans is part of the morning ritual.
2. The recommended brewing temp with the AeroPress is no where near scalding. That would produce a bitter end result, but brewing a big mug with an AeroPress is very much like making an Americano - one brews an initial concentrate in the press then tops off with hot water for a full mug. You can brew at the recommended temp then put the water back on the stove to hit that scalding temp you love to complete the coffee.

Truly, the AeroPress is the answer you’re looking for!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 3):
missFJAFOtikkathree
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:44 pm I have your solution! Get yourself an AeroPress. It’s what turned me on to coffee (no bitterness!), it can go anywhere from dead-ass simple to as complicated as you want it to be (if you fall down the rabbit hole, that is), and brewing with it is definitely a bit of a ritual in the morning. One of the (many!) things that won my wife over was watching me make coffee in the morning. She loved the ritual-like nature of it and how much I enjoyed doing it for her.

Basic procedure:
1. Grind beans and place in the press
2. Pour hot water over the beans, stir for 10 seconds
3. Press the brewed coffee through the filter into your mug.

Where the complication (if you want that) comes into play is in the infinite number of variations on that procedure - grind size, brew time, water temp.

Two caveats:
1. I’d recommend grinding beans fresh, as the AeroPress works best with a grind finer than pre-ground coffee. For me, grinding the beans is part of the morning ritual.
2. The recommended brewing temp with the AeroPress is no where near scalding. That would produce a bitter end result, but brewing a big mug with an AeroPress is very much like making an Americano - one brews an initial concentrate in the press then tops off with hot water for a full mug. You can brew at the recommended temp then put the water back on the stove to hit that scalding temp you love to complete the coffee.

Truly, the AeroPress is the answer you’re looking for!
The bit in bold, Drew (sorry, as an aside but Drew really comes unnatural to Brits, I think. Andrew would be Andy. Drew sounds like a guy from Deliverance :D). Anyway, that's a US thing isn't it, water on the stove. In the civilised world, we have an electric kettle! We used to have kettles on the stove that whistled when the water boiled, but that's just tales our Grandma's told us. Same as toasting muffins over an open fire, and beef dripping. Kids here don't have a clue about old stuff nowadays though. My son once saw an empty milk bottle crate, and thought he'd found a cow's nest. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
jkbarnes
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

JAFO wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:08 pm My son once saw an empty milk bottle crate, and thought he'd found a cow's nest. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Added information on my ritual - I do have a stovetop kettle with a whistle. :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
tikkathree
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:08 pm …Drew (sorry, as an aside but Drew really comes unnatural to Brits, I think. Andrew would be Andy. Drew sounds like a guy from Deliverance :D).
I’ve been Drew since the day I came home from the hospital. Andrew was a concession to Holy Mother Church, who wouldn’t baptize me as Drew. As for Andy, thems fightin’ words! Andy is fine for others, but not me. I cringe when people jump right to that when they see Andrew.

The bit in bold, …that's a US thing isn't it, water on the stove. In the civilised world, we have an electric kettle! We used to have kettles on the stove that whistled when the water boiled, but that's just tales our Grandma's told us. Same as toasting muffins over an open fire, and beef dripping. Kids here don't have a clue about old stuff nowadays though. My son once saw an empty milk bottle crate, and thought he'd found a cow's nest. :D
I think it is. I have a gooseneck stove top kettle I use for heating water for coffee. Microwaving the water did not fit with the ritualistic nature of my coffee brewing routine. The only people I know who have electric kettles are, in fact, English!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
JAFO
Drew
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I have exactly the same cafetiere mug as the one in @Bahnstormer_vRS 's post and my procedure for making a cup is almost the same, except I don't place the filter/plunger on top of the water while waiting the few mins for the coffee to brew. I prefer to place it on a small plate. :-)
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Coffee morning ritual, with a mug in honor of many forum friends.

IMG_7811.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
missF
Drew
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

It's an AeroPress for me as well, pretty sure it was another thread on this forum that turned me on to it!

I am lazy though and don't grind my own beans very often.
These users thanked the author Danbailey007 for the post:
jkbarnes
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

I like coffee but not enough to invest time and energy like some of you guys, Heresy I'm sure but for me Nespresso does the trick!
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
Murphy20
Senior
Senior

Post by Murphy20 »

We’ve tried a few machines, cafetières, etc over the years and our current set up (entry level Sage coffee machine, standard red/silver Lavazza coffee, boiling water and milk) is the best we’ve had, by far.
Selfhood begins with a walking away, and love is proved in the letting go.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

And for you coffee equipment nerds there's a new "thing" in the blocks....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ad ... whw8lmsiMU

Edit: I'd encourage you guys to have a look but my first thoughts are that I'm content to pour hot water directly onto uncompressed grounds (always Turkish grind at this house) and spend the $50 on coffee. :lol:
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate