A poll because I’m just curious

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward

Do you own watches with Roman numerals?

I have no watches with Roman numerals
31
66%
I have one watch with Roman numerals
7
15%
I have more than one watch with Roman numerals
9
19%
 
Total votes: 47

Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:00 pm
CW-watches: 6

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Dickchins »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:45 am
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:34 pm Don’t we have a member with a California dial Rolex? It’s a neat look but not for me.

. . . .
Wouldn't that be @Dickchins with his Wimbledon Rolex?

Although I have a hunch it got sold a few months back.

Guy

It is indeed Guy!
Or as you say, it was me.....

Needed to raise significant funds for something else I cant afford so it was either sell the watch ive dreamed of all my life, or the Zero West prototype.

Zero West wins over Rolex 7 days a week and twice on a sunday!!!

Old pic for reference........

20220409_103940.jpg
These users thanked the author Dickchins for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesBahnstormer_vRS
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:21 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: Nelson, New Hampshire

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Greatpotfarm »

One of my favorites... A combo of Roman and Arabic

IMG_20231205_140828139_HDR.jpg

And a couple others...
Screenshot_20231213-072532.png
Screenshot_20231210-082105.png
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post (total 2):
thomcat00jkbarnes
Dan
User avatar
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Leafy Surrey

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by CBMVic20 »

I used to have an Orient Star with batons and a couple of Roman Numerals;

Image

(original For sale listing here in the forums)
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
User avatar
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Hua Hin, Thailand

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Caller »

I forgot that I have a cali dial. Its this beastie. A sort of 'homage' to a bronze panerai that never went into production, as the Italian navy decided to buy Rolex instead. The very few prototypes know to exist are worth a bit.

Image
These users thanked the author Caller for the post (total 2):
MistaFroggyGGreatpotfarm
'Tis me
User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34895
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »


StrapMeister wrote:Hey Guy (Bahnstormer_vRS), how about your Bremont S500 Bamford Special Edition with California Dial
...does that count?
I think it would Nigel, if I still had it.

Got sold back in the spring and funds used to buy my Schofield Not Quite Green. :wink: :wink:

Image

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
StrapMeisterGreatpotfarm
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 4406
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by JAFO »

I think this is my only one, I think. I thought the greek key design went well with the Roman numerals.
IMG_20210305_135233419~2.jpg
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:14 am
CW-watches: 15
Location: FLX, NY, USA

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by thomcat00 »

I like some implementations of Roman numerals but not all. I have yet to own one. The Santos has most captured my attention as one to try. But I’ve thus far lived to 55 without. Sometimes I feel the dial cannot support the density of the Romans; other times it feels too spare.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 4070
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:39 pm
CW-watches: 12
Location: Dripping Springs, Tx.

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Thunder1 »

I've a few, several of which get a good amount of wrist wear time..
Cartier Tank Francais(1).jpg
Ebel 1911 Chrono cal.134 Zenith El Primero 400(1).JPG
Ebel Brasilia(2).JPG
Ebel Chrono cal.134(Zen400)(1).JPG
Ebel Chrono Lemania 27 mvmnt(1).jpg
Ebel Classic Wave 76of100(2).JPG
Ebel LeModular gold chrono cal.137(1).JPG
Ebel LeModulor chrono ss & gld calibre137(1).JPG
Eberhard & Co. 8 Jours(1).JPG
Girard-Perregaux GP4900 PR Breguet hands guilloche dial(1).JPG
Longines Hour Angle(3).jpg
Longines Tonneau(1).jpg
Seiko Presage SARW015 Urushi Dial 6R15(1).JPG
Seiko Presage SPB073J1 L.E. 1,891 of 2,500 Shippo Enamel 6r27(1).JPG
Seiko Presage SPB093J1 Arita Porc(1).JPG
Seiko SARW011-enamel-6r27(1).jpg
These users thanked the author Thunder1 for the post (total 4):
Rezn8rAmor Vincit OmniaBahnstormer_vRSCaller
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:21 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: Nelson, New Hampshire

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Greatpotfarm »

Wow, @Thunder1 !! Hard to pick a favorite... but I find myself gravitating to the lone brand I have never heard of before.

What is the diameter of the 8 day Eberhard? It is a very beautiful watch
Dan
User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 33584
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 4
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A few more dials that didn’t get into the poll. New rabbit hole? How many different types of indices can you collect? Photos from various sources, not mine!

IMG_4017.jpeg
Cyrillic
IMG_4011.jpeg
Ottoman
IMG_4015.jpeg
Traditional Arabic
IMG_4016.jpeg
Chinese
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
Thunder1Greatpotfarm
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time


Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 4070
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:39 pm
CW-watches: 12
Location: Dripping Springs, Tx.

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Thunder1 »

Greatpotfarm wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:05 am Wow, @Thunder1 !! Hard to pick a favorite... but I find myself gravitating to the lone brand I have never heard of before.

What is the diameter of the 8 day Eberhard? It is a very beautiful watch
Thanx!!..always been surprised that we don't see more of these out there :problem: ...according to my caliper calculations, the SS case size measures about 39.70 mm...so, it's not a large watch at all..
These users thanked the author Thunder1 for the post:
Greatpotfarm
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
User avatar
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Hua Hin, Thailand

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Caller »

Thai. Oris and Seiko churn out commemorative watches in Thai from time to time. The 1st pic was from an Oris display some time ago. The watch in the 2nd pic is one of mine, from Wise, a Thai brand. The date window keeps me on my toes! :D

Image

Image
'Tis me
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 4406
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by JAFO »

Does this count? Keeps perfect time.
IMG_20231218_182657223_HDR~2.jpg
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post (total 3):
Thunder1missFGreatpotfarm
User avatar
Tonywalker
Guru
Guru
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:42 pm
CW-watches: 26

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Tonywalker »

Baser wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:57 pm It's a no from me. I keep looking at the jumping hour watches with Roman numerals as there have been a few for sale recently but they are a bit dressy for me.

My wife has a cheap quartz rectangular watch which has Roman numerals at XII, III, VI and IX, can't find any branding on it to work out who made it.
I have a Jumping Hour - the one with standard arabic numbers as opposed to roman numerals. They do come up for sale, now and then👍
These users thanked the author Tonywalker for the post:
Baser
CW watch count - enough to keep me very happy, but always room for more!
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:21 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: Nelson, New Hampshire

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Greatpotfarm »

@Amor Vincit Omnia you have probably already noticed how the 10 through 4 numerals on the Chinese dial are somewhat like their roman counterparts...
Dan
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post