15%
I have more than one watch with Roman numerals
19%

Total votes: 47

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: A poll because I’m just curious

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well, I am about as far from sitting on any fence as it’s possible to be, but you know that. I have three watches with Roman numerals on the dials, and they are my favourite indices, hands down. The Tank, as well as being my favourite watch overall, is also my favourite dial – I think the oversized Roman numerals are just gorgeous.

The C9 is also beautiful but in a more restrained way. I would have preferred IIII to IV, however.

The Ulysse Nardin has lovely applied indices, with Romans at XII and VI.

I’m surprised that a lot of people seem very anti, but I guess I feel the same way about blobs, and some people clearly love them.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesstraplineStif
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Don’t own one, but I’d like to. There’s a timeless elegance going on. I think you can dress them up or down, like a pair of handmade brogues. Since turning 50 I’ve decided to age in Roman numerals. Presently LV which sounds so much more refined. 😂

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesmissF
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I have 3 as well:
VALIMOR Valknut - very gothic/viking/arthurian legend
VALIMOR Valknut.jpg
ZERO WEST L1 Longitude (1 of only 20 made)
ZERO WEST L1.jpg
...and the final one, a Cartier alternative, and cheaper to boot, the LONGINES Dolcevita
LONGINES Dolcevita.jpg
These users thanked the author StrapMeister for the post (total 3):
straplinethomcat00Thunder1
Amor Vincit Omnia

@StrapMeister Game of Thrones…Harrison…Casablanca…

Very tasty!
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
StrapMeister
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Don’t we have a member with a California dial Rolex? It’s a neat look but not for me.

My lone Roman numeral dial…

IMG_9341.jpeg
I should have wiped the dust away first
IMG_9342.jpeg
That quartz movement is thin!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Thunder1
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:34 pm Don’t we have a member with a California dial Rolex? It’s a neat look but not for me.

. . . .
Wouldn't that be @Dickchins with his Wimbledon Rolex?

Although I have a hunch it got sold a few months back.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:23 pm I’m surprised that a lot of people seem very anti, but I guess I feel the same way about blobs, and some people clearly love them.
I was curious to look and see if Roman numerals tended to be something that people did once - based on my thinking that I might have one, but it would seem a bit formal for my tastes, therefore it would only be the one. Not really enough numbers to demonstrate that. It’s nice to see the people who have more than one because it gives me an idea of the variety in the sector. Your UN AVO is an awesome example of a non formal watch with romans - one of my forum favourite watches :thumbup:
welshlad
CW-watches: 24

Post by welshlad »

I really like Roman numerals on a watch - if done in a classy way. I haven't got a Santos, but it's a watch I have tried on and am still seriously considering.

From my current collection, my Roman numeral watches are limited to:

C9 Small Seconds
2023-01-27 09.45.32-1.jpg

Nomos Club Campus - it only has two Roman numerals on it, and one of them is hidden in this photo!
2023-03-22 18.54.43.jpg

My 18th Birthday present watch from my grandmother, which saw me through my university days
2023-02-26 12.45.31-1.jpg
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post (total 2):
straplineStif
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Greatpotfarm »

I suppose it does stem from the sundial... And untill well into the 1900, time gages we're indexed mainly in Latin. For almost 2 centuries, time was kept in a churches spire, and what's the church's language? The format of the spire clocks remained a standard for a long time. I believe the turning point towards Arabic numerals happened during WW1, when a time gage truly became a tool for the military, for the not so well educated masses who could hardly open a coordinated barrage at IV hours...
I like Roman numerals. I find them elegant. Though I do prefer sticks, blobs, shapes, or no indexes at all ...
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post:
missF
Dan
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Some lovely looking examples of RN's in this thread, whether full dial or not. Personally, I don't think anyone does them better than Cartier. It seems to be the boldness of the numerals and the way they slope. Then there's the the name Cartier being contained the the V of the VII numeral, such a trademark.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
GrumpyFrog
CW-watches: 1

Post by GrumpyFrog »

None sadly. However that situation will be rectified as a priority once my bel canto is paid for and delivered!
As a little aside: there are plenty of nice pics on this thread but, whilst I'm not too concerned about the IIII/IV dilemma, I think the Arabic numerals on the date wheel are an abomination in the sight of the Lord!
Amor Vincit Omnia

Greatpotfarm wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:29 am I suppose it does stem from the sundial... And untill well into the 1900, time gages we're indexed mainly in Latin. For almost 2 centuries, time was kept in a churches spire, and what's the church's language? The format of the spire clocks remained a standard for a long time. I believe the turning point towards Arabic numerals happened during WW1, when a time gage truly became a tool for the military, for the not so well educated masses who could hardly open a coordinated barrage at IV hours...
I like Roman numerals. I find them elegant. Though I do prefer sticks, blobs, shapes, or no indexes at all ...
I think one needs to be wary of ascribing too much in the way of religious or linguistic significance to the process.

What we call Arabic numerals (essentially Western Arabic) entered Europe through Spain and Italy in the early Middle Ages, naturally through Muslim scholarship; Spain, of course, was mainly occupied for around 700 (DCC) years. They were largely unknown in northern Europe until the latter part of the 15th century, a few decades before the Lutheran, Calvinist and Anglican Reformations spread through northern and central Europe. Italy had had them at least a couple of centuries earlier, though it was virtually untouched by the Reformation. And it had very little to do with the dominance or decline of the Latin language. Although Latin was still in use as a liturgical and academic language (Newton wrote his Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica in Neo-Latin, for example) the different countries of Europe had developed their own educated written vernaculars centuries earlier. Shakespeare preceded Newton by several decades.

In fact, the two numbering systems coexisted quite happily for centuries, and still do to some extent. It was often the convention to number hours in Roman numerals (not Latin, note) and minutes/seconds in Western Arabic. You can even see this on the chapter rings of quite modern timepieces, and also in seconds subdials. Interestingly, in the 1790s Breguet was using Western Arabics in his single handed subscription watches.

I think it is best regarded as a tradition. The reformed nations had the chance to rid themselves of anything remotely Roman, and yet they didn’t. They even exported it. I don’t suppose Waltham, Massachusetts was a hotbed of Catholicism, but they certainly produced a lot of pocket watches with Roman dials.

Just think of it as a traditional style. If you like it, you like it. If you don’t, rather like me with blobs, fair enough.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 4):
Bahnstormer_vRSnbgGreatpotfarmthomcat00
Steve

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:45 am
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:34 pm Don’t we have a member with a California dial Rolex? It’s a neat look but not for me.

. . . .
Wouldn't that be @Dickchins with his Wimbledon Rolex?

Although I have a hunch it got sold a few months back.

Guy
I have never seen a pic on here of a Rolex with a California dial, Dickchins was just a normal dial with a few Roman numerals. It is not shown as sold in SC, although I hope that it has been sold, as Rolex prices are still dropping.

The California dial that Drew is thinking of may have been Steve’s Club Campus, or the Serica that someone else has.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I don't own a watch with Roman numerals because like AVO and his blobs I simply don't like them.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Hey Guy (Bahnstormer_vRS), how about your Bremont S500 Bamford Special Edition with California Dial
...does that count?

Steve (amor-vincit-omnia), it's funny that you should mention Casablanca as I was actually looking at a Frank Muller Casablanca but at £5k plus I couldn't justify the cost based on the amount of times it would actually get worn.
...and your Ulysse Nardin is a real favourite of mine - stunning watch :thumbup: