A growing collection

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

A growing collection

Post by jkbarnes »

I guess I collect globes now. This weekend I came across that tall one on the end at an antique mall. Like the other two, it shows the world during the interwar years. Why a third, if I already have two? This on is in French! Very cool!

IMG_8711.jpeg
IMG_8706.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 3):
Thunder1Greatpotfarmrkovars
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: A growing collection

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Three Globes, but three clocks on the wall behind. What times do you have them set for?

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:05 am Three Globes, but three clocks on the wall behind. What times do you have them set for?

Guy

London, Paris, and Istanbul.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ Any particular reason for those three times, Drew?

I generally have my GMT watches set to GMT +8hrs, being the time in Singapore where my brother is based.

Guy

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:11 am ^^^^ Any particular reason for those three times, Drew?
Nothing practical or meaningful. The decision to hang the clocks (and they’re cheap ones by the way) was mostly decorative. They’re hanging below a print of the international routes Air France flew in the 30s. I thought the clocks set to different world times would be kinda cool. So London because I’ve always loved the UK, Paris because I’m also a hardcore Francophile, and Istanbul because I loved my trip there years ago and because it has a fantastic & rich history that appeals to the teacher in me.

I periodically change the times. Sometimes I set the first clock to Denver time where one of my closest friends lives. And I was all set to change Istanbul to Kuala Lumpur when a friend moved there, buts it’s 12 hours ahead of me, so what’s the point?! :lol:
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRStikkathree
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

It’s fun to have those globes or maps of political geography. I have one map that has the Soviet Union and the two Germanys, along with the other previous countries of the mid-1980s.

My first passport had stamps from West Germany and Czechoslovakia. Unfortunately the State Department didn’t return it when I renewed the passport; I missed the “return my expired documents” check box.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
jkbarnes
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Drew I can see that room full of maps a globes - it would be magical :thumbup:

I love maps too - my fascination is maps from a period where the Antarctic hadn’t been mapped or discovered - a wispy white line where some of the coastline had been traced, that disappeared at each end and contained both but a bit of shading behind it. Maps that say ‘here be monsters’? Even better!

There’s a site on Reddit called Terrible Maps - pushing the possibilities of information on maps to its ridiculous limits :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
jkbarnes
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

We homeschooled our kids and when they were younger, my wife found a great maps book that we all devoured: Strange Maps - Cartographic Curiosities by Frank Jacobs. It spans old and imperfect maps and what-if maps. And I’ve only recently discovered much of it is on a site which is fun to explore.
https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 2):
missFjkbarnes
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

@thomcat00 - thanks for the link. It looks really interesting. I think the fascinating thing about maps is that they can draw together so many bits of information from different areas, and connect things up in different ways. I like learning how things connect up :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’ve always been fascinated by maps, whether old or new. I remember we had an atlas when I was a child, and it would have had quite a lot of the old names for countries and cities. I used to sit with it for hours, luxuriating in the strange place names and imagining what it would be like to be there. I didn’t realise it at the time, but that book was feeding two great passions: travel and language.

I think if I hadn’t studied languages, it would have been geography. I spent a few weeks last autumn teaching geography, covering the head of department’s timetable while he recovered from surgery. I absolutely loved every minute of it.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ Cheers Drew.

That map of Air France routes must be great to look at and dovetails to your new globe being French.

Like others I used to pour over an Atlas as a boy; the Readers Digest Great World Atlas, quite a large book.

These days it's all too easy to take a tour around Google Maps.

Guy

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:30 am
There’s a site on Reddit called Terrible Maps - pushing the possibilities of information on maps to its ridiculous limits :D
I follow the Instagram account. I love it!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
missF
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I agree with everyone about maps. In my bedroom, I have a wall of all maps: places of importance & significance to me.

IMG_8712.jpeg
That’s a map of Dijon in the upper left. Upper right is a map of Long Island, NY. My parents and grandparents both had this map in their homes for decades. I wish this was one of those two. Lower left is an old tourist map of Cape Cod I found in an antique store on the Cape. Lower right is an old pull down map of Paris a professor friend of mine found in his office and gave to me. It dates from the 50s. The tiny maps are of Shelter Island, NY, where my grandparents lived and an old map of the UK taken from an atlas.

This is the map in the living room. I came across an original print of this in an antique store, but it was priced far beyond my means. I was lucky enough to find a shop on Etsy (not the one linked) selling preprints that did a custom size for me.

I went to a teacher training led by a geographer where he pushed the notion that all history is a function of geography. It was fascinating and really changed my approach to teaching history.
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I am partial to the odd map myself. Here is my current collection, mainly ordinance survey maps from the Lake District and also some for my local area. The others were bought for specific reasons, one for when I walked the Allendale challenge in Northumberland, a couple of canal maps from a boat holiday. the New England one was used when we visited the area and drove round Massachussets and New Hampshire and finally the street map of Lagos from when I worked there.

IMG_0843.jpeg

Another passing interest is guide books. I love reading these even if I’m not visiting the place. Quite often they have a nice summary of the history of the country as well. I tend to pick these up from charity shops, they are always older editions so not worth too much and I can pick them up for a few pounds each. Then of course there’s the box set of the Wainwrights.

Here’s the current collection.

IMG_0842.jpeg
[attachment]
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

I'm also a fan of atlases and maps, though have scaled back (read given lots away) recently to declutter. I was wondering where the interest came from... I am at my parents today and can see a bookshelf full of maps (fold out paper and books) and travel books... Ah.
jkbarnes wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:02 amI went to a teacher training led by a geographer where he pushed the notion that all history is a function of geography. It was fascinating and really changed my approach to teaching history.
I think you'll love this series of books called Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall then
These users thanked the author monkeymax for the post:
jkbarnes